OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rifle scope dilemma; Wich one ???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deer fever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rifle scope dilemma; Wich one ???
    Posted: April/13/2009 at 17:28
I am in the process of chosing a riflescope fo my futur 270 X bolt hunting rifle.
Shooting distances will be between 30 and 300 yards.
(90% will be between 30-200 yards)

I am hesitant beetween 2 models..
  • Leopold VX3:             3.5x10x40
  • Busnell elite 6500:     2.5X16X42
  1. According to your trials, Wich is the better of both on all aspects?
  2. Also, does a 50 mm bring in alot more light ? 
  3. Is a 36 mm to little for those last hours at those distances ?
  4. Is the Swarovski 1" A-Line Riflescope worth the extra money compared to the other 2 ?

After  long hours of reading on these scopes, I guess nothing will beat your experienceWink

Thanks in advance for sharing.
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 18:09
The VX3 and the 4200 are more in line, the only diff in the 6500-4200 is the tube ? and the adjustment increase, and from 10 to 16 power is significant and you surly don't need that for less than 500 yrds?  don't know about the Swaro but that is a huge price difference?  forgot about the 50mm answer=no
and the 36mm I have one and my answer to that is no as well, ...IF.... you get a quality scope!

Edited by rifle looney - April/13/2009 at 18:18
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 19:32
It is my opinion that the Swaro is worth the extra.

As you do not tend to take long shots in fading light, fading light is no problem so long as you turn down the power.

I would take a Swaro 3-10 over those 2 any day of the week - and twice on Sunday.  Yes, it is that good.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 21:06
I don't have any experience with the vx3 or the 6500.  I would really like to have a Swaro, but not sure that is because of anything tangible..... I just want one.  If I couldn't afford the Swaro, then I get another Conquest!  I like the Conquest a lot!  Have experience with the 3-9X40 and 1.8-5.5X38.  they have great low-light reticles.
take em!
Dshusker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dshusker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 06:59
The 6500 Elite would be a fine choice for the application you outline. If money is no object, the Swaro would be better.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 15:08
All scopes mentioned are terrific, though the Swaro is in a different league.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic