OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Choices driving me insane!!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Choices driving me insane!!!!!!
    Posted: April/13/2009 at 11:04
I've been researching this new spotter purchase for so long it's done nothing but really confuse me.  On one hand, I'm considering a Pentax PF80 ED 20-60, a Nikon Fieldscope 82mm 25-75x, and a Bushnell elite 80 ed 20-60.  I'm wanting to stay in the $1000-$1500 if possible.  If I'm willing to spend a little extra I get into the demo Zeiss 85T FL range.  I have not way of looking through anything other than the Zeiss (my neighbor runs one), so I cannot take a look beforehand.   Any suggestions are appreciated.  I've decided to stick with the 80mm class spotters.  Thanks.
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 12:18
Those are all excellent scopes, and any differences in performance would be so small that they might be due to your eyesight rather than the scope. I'd buy whichever one i could get cheapest.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 14:33
Thanks you John.  I may have run across a Leica 77 APO televid I can get for $1399 (demo).  What do you think in this case?
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 16:54
Odds are that Leica does not come with an eye piece?
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 18:26
I would go to www.betterviewdesired.com and read their reviews of the 77 APO vs. Nikon, and the review of the Pentax as well.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 21:56
20-60 eyepiece included. 
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 22:11
OK! just making sure.  Wink
Tranan View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tranan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 18:48
Leica has reported problems of moisture inside the tube. It usually gets fixed on the warranty but it still feels like a problem. Great optics otherwise but not enough diameter on the lense. I don't understand why they made it 77mm and not 80mm? Anyone can give me a reasonable explanation to that?

Fieldscope is a great scope but you must put upp with a narrower FOV on their zoom eyepiece. The fixed ones those are awesome but a little more unpractical.

Pentax is a very good choice as well.

My favorite in your description would however be Zeiss Diascope demo. It has an 85mm lense and plays in a higher division than all these other guys, a division, where acording to me there are only three players: Kowa, Zeiss and Swarovski.

Bottom line, if you can lay your hands on a Zeiss at a good price: DO NOT HESITATE!
CHARLIE DON'T SURF!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic