OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

.375H&H

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2009 at 09:33
im not worried about it. i know i can do it, its never been an issue in the field always at the bench as it is for most people.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2009 at 09:50
OK, we've had enough fun at our friend Hunter's expense.  It is now time for a kinder gentler forum - and yes, that includes you too Sally.

We are behind you pyro (some more than others)!  Want to see some pictures when you unleash the beast - movies would be even better!
God save the Empire!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2009 at 09:51
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

OK, we've had enough fun at our friend Hunter's expense.  It is now time for a kinder gentler forum - and yes, that includes you too Sally.

We are behind you pyro (some more than others)!  Want to see some pictures when you unleash the beast - movies would be even better!

video may be pushing it though, pictures i can do, im not smart enough to post a video yet.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2009 at 17:55
Thanks for the report, Sally!  Try not to break a nail while out experimenting with different loads.Wink
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 07:00
See, Ted's being kinder and gentler!
God save the Empire!
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 08:41

In all seriousness, the .375 doesn't kick all that hard. I once sat down and shot one that weighed 8-1/4 pounds off a bench 36 times in one range session--and that was pre-Lead Sled, and all full-power loads. I did mix the .375 groups with kinder, gentler rifles though!

The .375 is particularly gentle if you shoot it offhand, instead of from the typical American bench position. In Africa quite a few folks have benchrests made so that you stand up and shoot, which is a lot easier to take than sitting down and leaning into the rifle!

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 08:43
Amen to that John.  The RUM kicked the hell out of me leaning into it, much better sitting upright.

I'm all for kinder and gentler rifles too.
God save the Empire!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 12:34
i really appreciate the loving support from you all!! im half assed tempted to just step out onto my porch and deposit 3 rounds into an oak tree in my yard just to say i did it, but then i remembered what happened when kickboxer shot a tree in his yard with his .458 and i had second thoughts.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 12:52
Hold on....don't be hasty pyro.  Bigdaddy's on his way down with a camcorder.
God save the Empire!
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 18:21
There is a certain historical interest in certain events....
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 19:03
  For all the recoil WUSSYS!

Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 19:39
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

.................Laugh........If you need a (pussy) sled for the bench to shoot a high recoiling rifle, you shouldn`t own it imo!! Or! Put a muzzle brake on!!.......There are padded vests one can wear and additional slip on recoil pads that one can buy to cheat high recoil. Besides, lugging around and setting up 30-50 lbs of sand bags plus the sled itself,,, is a royal PIA.... But Squeezer! My groups are a 1/4" less with a lead sled. Whooopie! Practice without one! 

Wasn`t there a scrawny babe who did a write up seen on line at G&A or Shooting Times about a year ago bench shootin a 460 Wby without a sled????Roll on Floor LaughingAs I remember, they weren`t reduced loads either. I recall that article. 
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 19:48
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i really appreciate the loving support from you all!! im half assed tempted to just step out onto my porch and deposit 3 rounds into an oak tree in my yard just to say i did it, but then i remembered what happened when kickboxer shot a tree in his yard with his .458 and i had second thoughts.

Oh Yea Baby
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 19:55
BTW! The shooter in that 460 Wby article was the (petite) Jessica Brooks with Barnes Bullets. Using full loadings too!!!

Just did a search on the G&A site.
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 20:10

Jessica is a tough little gal. She inherited from her mother Connie, who uses a .338 Winchester Magnum for anything less than BIG dangerous game, and for that uses something really big, like a .500 Nitro-Express. They are both quite "petite" women.

I have long suspected that smaller people can take recoil better than big, macho guys, partly because they "flex" more during during recoil, rather than get pounded like 250-pound guys. Jessica and Connie are perfect examples.

Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 23:16
Keepin that little tin full don't hurt either. Coffee
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2009 at 10:17
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

.................Laugh........If you need a (pussy) sled for the bench to shoot a high recoiling rifle, you shouldn`t own it imo!! Or! Put a muzzle brake on!!.......There are padded vests one can wear and additional slip on recoil pads that one can buy to cheat high recoil. Besides, lugging around and setting up 30-50 lbs of sand bags plus the sled itself,,, is a royal PIA.... But Squeezer! My groups are a 1/4" less with a lead sled. Whooopie! Practice without one! 

Wasn`t there a scrawny babe who did a write up seen on line at G&A or Shooting Times about a year ago bench shootin a 460 Wby without a sled????Roll on Floor LaughingAs I remember, they weren`t reduced loads either. I recall that article. 

Roll Eyes  whatever dude

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2009 at 11:07
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Yea I think we should all go over to Kickboxer's house and teach that tree a lesson.Chainsaw

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2009 at 11:33
   DON"T be shootin no oaks!!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2009 at 12:55

It was defective...

Edited by Kickboxer - April/19/2009 at 12:55
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic