OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

.375H&H

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .375H&H
    Posted: April/13/2009 at 08:51
well i finally got out to shoot the beast! i spent about 3.5 hrs at a friend of mines shooting range. he has a very nice portable bench and he had a chrono too. i brought my lead sled along to see how well it would work too. it took me 4 shots to sight the H&H in a 100 yds after i used cheaptricks boresighting method. and then i fired 27 rounds worth of test loads over three different powders. the guy that built that gun knew what he was doing, that gun shoots better than i can i had at least 3 groups that would have easily been under 1/2 inch if i wouldnt have muffed the last shot. i used 50lbs of shot on my lead sled, and it worked great! my 4200 elite handle 31 shots off the lead sled without a hitch. the only thing i will mention about the scope is that the way the lead sleds are setup the eye relief is a little short especially after you go past 6x. i didnt have that problem with my team primos or my buckmaster scopes even on 9x. im going to have to buy some more .375 dia bullets and load some more up and try it again. that gun is capable of very small groups i think!!

Edited by pyro6999 - April/13/2009 at 10:52
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 09:41

In my experience with several 375's, they do tend to shoot well.

They also tend to surprise people who have never shot one, both by grouping nicely and by not kicking nearly as much as expected! Of course a Lead Sled helps, but .375's aren't nearly as nasty as some make them out to be.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 10:46
i put 50lbs of shot in the tray and the first time i pulled the trigger i was in awe, it was like shooting a .243 maybe. it for sure made the experience a lot more pleasant. i wish i would have had my camera with to take some pictures, you guys would get a kick out of my friends golden lab, he loves hunting and wants to be around if people are shooting. i was sitting down to shoot another group, i closed the bolt and flicked the safety on and my buddy tapped me on the shoulder. he says "hey look at my dog" i looked at his dog who was standing 90 degrees to my left and he had the most priceless look on his face his eyes were forced shut and his face was all clinched tight in anticipation of the shot i giggled! im going to order some more bullets and load up my 2nd round and go from their, maybe this next time i can do better i was so rusty i hadnt taken a shot since november so i never really got into a groove.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 11:40
Looks like you have a very good shooter there. One of these days you`ll have to find a way to "weeeeeen" yourself off of that lead sled!!

I`m only 5' 6" and 140 lbs drippin wet.....Roll on Floor Laughing shootin a .375 Ruger!!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 11:41
more like 6'5 and 260 you cant fool me squeezer!!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 11:46
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

more like 6'5 and 260 you cant fool me squeezer!!
.........Talk to "Rifle Looney" and "3-Tens.".......... The 3 of us had lunch together last week at Bass Pros. They are both bigger than me!......Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWink 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 11:53
i already did so what kind of cowboy boots do you wear? tony lama or justin?
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 12:11
Dan Posts and Tony Lamas,,,,,,,3 pair ostrich quills; black, brown butterscotch, black cherry,......Have one pair of Dan Post brown croceeedile and a pair of grey leather in the Dan Post. 5 pair altogether. 
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 12:17
 Hey Pyro. Did you shoot it without the sled? And what velocities were you getting with what grain bullet/bullets?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 12:27
its funny my friend setup his chrono and i hadnt ever shot over a chrono before, but he set it up so i wouldnt hit it, we put it about 10 ft away from the gun and i shot a light load of r-15 first and it was at 2500 and some change with a 270gr bullet, i then stepped up to 72gr of r-15 and the muzzle blast blew the plastic screens right off the chrono, i was in the lower 2600's with that then i stepped up to 74gr and i was just a hair over 2700fps and still blowing the screens off, so after that we decided we were tired of putting the damn things back together so i scrapped it after one powder.

i didnt shoot it without the sled, i shot my .264 over the chrono without any bags and the lead sled really jumps without any weight in the tray, but it still really limited the felt recoil, but i figured without the weight the jumping may interfere with the accuracy so i opted for 50lbs of shot it didnt jump any more.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 12:35
 GOTTA move that chrono back to 15' to get away from the muzzle blast. It'll give ya false readings from the blast.
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 12:46
Better use some some super glue on that chrony!......Laugh 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 12:52
i dont know how far it actually was from me we didnt measure it, but as far as i could tell the numbers were pretty close to what the books said i should be getting. even with the .264 they were close.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 15:56
 GOOD that velocities seemed ok but I'd still set it up at a measured 15' and add 15fps to chrono velocities for correction to muzzle velocities(close enough for government work). Blowing the defusers off could cause misconsistencies plus just being a pain to keep fixing.
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 16:20
Glad you got a chance to shoot the beast.  Let us know once you try shooting it off hand.  Remember the camera to show the groups next time.  Sounds like she will shoot.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 16:39
i didnt forget the camera, i just didnt have a memory card that wasnt full on hand. i plan to shoot that rifle either off hand or off a standard setup just to see how it feels, im not really to worried about it. next time i will take the camera and hopefully i shoot a little better too. although my worst group came at the end, i think the barrel was starting to foul out and it still shot inside 2" the rest of the groups were smaller than 1 1/2"
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 16:49
Glad you got to do some shooting with the .375.  Sounds like it was fun.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 16:51
i forgot one vital piece of equipment when i bought that rifle, i didnt buy a .375 diam bore brush, so i had to use 3 7mm sized cleaning patches to clean the barrel today, i think it took me about 4-6 sets of patches to get it clean.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 18:23
  It sounds like you had a blast, Hunter!
  It sure doesn't take long to get rusty though, does it?
  I hadn't shot since November when I went out last week and I felt like such a rookie.
 Sure is great to get out though. Especially with a new elephant gun, eh?

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 15:34
Sounds like you had a great time Pyro, see the H&H isn't that nasty.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic