OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

newbie needs scope advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txpride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: newbie needs scope advice
    Posted: April/12/2009 at 23:08
Hi.  I recently purchased my first hunting rifle and need a scope.  I have a browning bar in 30.06.
I don't want to spend a lot on the scope as i already have enough invested in the gun.  My top choices from browsing the site are :  BSA 4-16x40 contender ($169.95);  vortex 6-24x50 crossfire ($ 99.95);  and the nikon 3-9x40 packaged w/rangefinder ($299.95).  Even though it is cheapest, so maybe poor quality, I lean towards the vortex based on description ( multicoated lenses etc.).  I am open to suggestions in the price range including sample list items.  I really have very little knowledge in this area so your help is appreciated.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2009 at 23:31
Might want to check out the Nikon Team Primos:

http://www.swfa.com/c-2119-nikon-team-primos-riflescopes.aspx

The Bushnell 3200 might also be a good choice:

http://www.swfa.com/pc-8362-184-bushnell-3-9x40-elite-3200-rifle-scope.aspx

Team Primos:

This is an excellent scope for the price. It has the BDC reticle which may be a positive or negative depending on your preference.

Bushnell 3200:

Has rainguard which a lot of people like. Also a very good scope for the price. This one just has a regular multi-x reticle.

Either one would be a good choice. You can also check if they have either scope off of the sample list

"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2009 at 23:40
SI39X40HHR Sightron 3-9x40 SI Riflescope                                                                                           Sightron 3-9x40 SI Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Hunter Holdover Reticle
  • 1"
SWFA: $154.95
More Info... Buy Now
5214359920 Zeiss 1.8-5.5x38 Conquest Rifle Scope                                                                                   Zeiss 1.8-5.5x38 Conquest Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Z-Plex
  • 1"
  • Etched Glass
  • 2nd Plane
SWFA: $299.95
More Info... Buy Now
731642M Bushnell 1.5-6x42 Trophy 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                               Bushnell 1.5-6x42 Trophy 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • 4A w/ Illuminated Dot
  • 30mm
SWFA: $149.95
More Info... Buy Now
733948B New Bushnell 3-9x40 Trophy Rifle Scope                                                                                  New Bushnell 3-9x40 Trophy Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • BDC Reticle
  • 1"
  • Centerfire
SWFA: $119.95
More Info... Buy Now
734124B New Bushnell 4-12x40 Trophy Riflescope                                                                                  New Bushnell 4-12x40 Trophy Riflescope
  • Matte
  • BDC Reticle
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Centerfire
SWFA:

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
big boar View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big boar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2009 at 23:40
What will you be hunting and what type of hunting do you do? (Tree stand, ground blind, still hunt,passanger side of pickup...forget the last one).    
txpride View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txpride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 00:01
Good info so far.... thanks.  The area I will hunt has both an elevated blind and a ground blind so I will probably start there for the whitetails.  I'll go for hogs anywhere I see 'em.  I was really interested in the BDC reticle on the nikon,  but the more I look the more I think mildot is the way to go since you can estimate range with it.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 07:20
I might be wrong, but I don't think a "mildot" estimates range.  I believe it helps you aim at different "known" distance, which is what the BDC does as well.  A range finder estimates range as do a few of the special reticles.

Congrats on the BAR, I have that same rifle and it is a joy to shoot!
take em!
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 07:36
You can estimate range with a mil-dot scope. But it takes practice, and the the pretty precise estimate of the size of the target you are trying to range. If getting a mil-dot scope, pick up th mil-dot master also.
Mil-Dot Master
  • Estimating Target Size
  • Determining Range to Target
  • Correcting for Bullet Drop
  • Correcting for Wind Drift
  • Correcting for Uphill/Downhill
  • Correcting Correction to Mil (holdover)
  • Correcting Correction to MOA (sight adjustment)
SWFA: $29.95
More Info... Buy Now
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
oldpoet View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpoet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 08:26
I'm not a big fan of range devices in scopes.  The Mil-dot method depends on you knowing the actual size of the animal, which in deer can vary wildly even in the same region.  I find it easier to just sight the scope based on trajectory estimates so that I know approx. where the bullet will hit out to my rifle's max. point blank range.  This article and chart from Chuck Hawks great website lists the sightin method and ballistics for most rifle chamberings.  I've used this type of system for over 40 years of hunting.
Up on Cripple Creek she sends me
If I spring a leak she mends me
I don't have to speak, she defends me
A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one
oldpoet View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpoet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 08:27
oops!  forgot to post the article url:

oldpoet View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpoet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 08:33
And one more thing.
If you can put a round into a 9 inch circle (I use white 9 inch paper plates for practice) within the max point blank range of your rifle/cartridge combo, you're going to be able to get a hit in the vital area of any game animal hunted.  If you're using the right cartridge/bullet combo for the animal then you should have your prey.  Here's another good article about "kill areas" from Chuck Hawks' site:
oldpoet View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpoet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 08:39
I forgot to add my scope choice.
I've got 6 hunting rifles in various calibers.  They all have Leupold scopes.  Here's the last one I bought, a good scope at at good price:

big boar View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big boar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 09:41
Actually mil dots are used to estimate ranges of objects of "known size" and the formuala for using it are really not that complex. You can then also use the dots for holdover or windage as long as you've practiced using the dots and know what that is for your rifle. Not that complex and gets you to practice with your shooting, as you should do. Lots of fun reallly.
bagderRed View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagderRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 11:20

That's a nice rifle in a good caliber.  It was the first rifle I bought at 16 and was very happy with it.  I had a Tasco 3-9x40 on it before I stepped up to Leupolds 10 years later.   The Tasco held up and did a great job for what I paid for it.  Anyways, I'd try that Nikon 3-9x40 w/rangefinder, sounds a bout right magnification and Nikons are a good scope.  I'd rather have a plex reticle than the BDC but then again I'm not a long range shooter.  Or how about a Bushnell 4200 3-9x40 ($299) or a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 ($189)?

Edited by bagderRed - April/13/2009 at 11:27
txpride View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txpride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 20:38
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.  Looks like I have quite a list to investigate.  I can't wait to complete this beautiful gun so i can throw some lead down range.
Thomas Jefferson
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 20:57
FWIW..... I have a Kahles CL 3-10X50 mounted on my BAR 30-06 and I'm very satisfied!
take em!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic