OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Wolves vs coyote

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 23:05
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

THAT IS YOUR OPINION  AND THAT IS GREAT!           kinda like fishing in barrel? and the stalking a cat. done it just couldn't make the shot and found out it was illegal for me to bring the damn thing in to my state anyway! and  the bear with its head in a barrel never said it was sporting nor did I say I would do it, I do however think it is a better way to hunt the bear rather than the use of dogs, and the money spent on hunting dogs????? in my opinion a dog is not a tool, hunting ,crime fighting, showing, what ever.Again opinions. just like what scope do you like or hate    RONK.. there is no need to get hostile! and I'm done with this thread so don't bother replying.  and just a note I live in the west we do not do things like in the east. 

Sorry, I am going to 'bother' replying, and I hope you have the courtesy to take the trouble to read what Iam going to tell you, whether or not you choose to reply.

I'm not hostile.

I am angrily defending a huge aspect of the sport of hunting, which is under attack from all sides, and will be completely outlawed soon if guys like you, who call themselves Hunters, are willing to throw other Hunters under the bus just because they choose to use different methods than you do!

You suggested that all hunting with dogs be banned.
 Upland bird hunting, too?
 Farm boys coursing cottontails in the back forty with a pair of beagles, also?
 Coon hunting?

Since you consider it the same as arguing about what scope to use, keep in mind that I would never dream to suggest that high-magnification scopes be banned because they are "unfair".
 Yet that is what you in effect just said to several thousand or tens of thousands of hound hunters.
 Living in the East or the West has nothing to do with it either. Or at least it shouldn't.
 For what it's worth, I don't hunt with dogs, and haven't for many years.
 Truth be told, I don't even care for them all that much.
 But I can't sit back and grin uncomfortably when I read a post like the one you just wrote.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 06:54
Issues like these pertaining to the ethics of certain hunting practices are always dicey, and there are many practices that vary according to law and custom around the country.  We shouldn't let these differences pit one hunter against another, providing everyone is obeying the law where they hunt and we conduct ourselves ethically.  We need to stick together and respect the customs and laws that exist for our fellow hunters elsewhere, even if certain legal practices aren't our cup of tea.  There are traditionalists who think because I archery hunt with a modern compound bow, carbon arrows and high tech broadheads rather than using a traditional bow I built, handmade wooden arrows, and flint arrowheads, that I'm somehow "cheating."  Some would scorn at the fact I hunt deer from tree stands.  Laws vary around the country due to traditions, land use and terrain, and a host of other reasons.

By the way, I've never hunted deer with dogs, as it's illegal where I live.  However, I've hunted other species with dogs, and it was anything but easy.  I think part of the excitement of upland bird and duck hunting is watching a good dog work.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 06:57
By the way, this thread has gone a bit off topic, don't you think?  I believe it's run its course already (on the subject of wolves and coyotes), so if we wish to continue discussing the pros and cons of hunting with dogs, why not start a new thread?
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 13:07
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Issues like these pertaining to the ethics of certain hunting practices are always dicey, and there are many practices that vary according to law and custom around the country.  We shouldn't let these differences pit one hunter against another, providing everyone is obeying the law where they hunt and we conduct ourselves ethically.  We need to stick together and respect the customs and laws that exist for our fellow hunters elsewhere, even if certain legal practices aren't our cup of tea.  There are traditionalists who think because I archery hunt with a modern compound bow, carbon arrows and high tech broadheads rather than using a traditional bow I built, handmade wooden arrows, and flint arrowheads, that I'm somehow "cheating."  Some would scorn at the fact I hunt deer from tree stands.  Laws vary around the country due to traditions, land use and terrain, and a host of other reasons.

By the way, I've never hunted deer with dogs, as it's illegal where I live.  However, I've hunted other species with dogs, and it was anything but easy.  I think part of the excitement of upland bird and duck hunting is watching a good dog work.

Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 19:37
OK I am sorry if I offended any other members about this subject, with out indepth discussion you can only guesstimate ones way of thinking and the reasons behind it! kinda like not ....seeing.... the whole picture?         
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 20:27
I'm sorry if I came across as unnecessarily harsh in my rebuke of your stance, Looney. I wasn't offended as much as incredulous.
 I just get very defensive about hunting's future, and take every opportunity to point out breaches in our defense of it to my fellow sportsman. ( And here I am assuming that you too, hunt, as well as target shoot, reload, etc.),  
I have children, and I want them to have as many choices as to how and what they choose to hunt as possible.
 If they want to train a setter to flush grouse or a pack of registered Black and Tans for bear hunting.  Or not.
 I also want them to be legally able to use an AR15 to shoot a coyote or crow, if they wish,
 -(which is why I was also a reluctant but eventually vocal participant in the movement to encourage Jim Zumbo to enjoy an early retirement for his careless and traitorous words against the crown jewel that is our Second Amendment.)

rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 20:35
We all have the same spirit just different ways to appreciate it and different ways to share it with fellow hunters, shooters,  whom ever, every thing is two sided and I don't mean good and bad, just different. as far as hunting.... ..all my life, till I can no longer and this is what I teach others. I have taught and introduced many,many to the sports and feel proud .so lets carry on and remember each is his own.           James
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2009 at 11:04
Let's hunt some Orc...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2009 at 09:03
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Let's hunt some Orc...

YES!
 Release the hounds, Gimli!   (or maybe not...)
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2009 at 10:03
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

Originally posted by hunterwingler hunterwingler wrote:

Damn wolves around here in idaho have took a big bite out the elk population. to bad we cant hunt them "YET"  

It is coming and I will be one of the first in line in Montana to get as many tags as I can!

My new issue of http://www.furfishgame.com/index.php just arrived and they say you guys got it in Montana and Idaho. Apparently the Obama administration only halted the plan to review it. Montana and Idaho classify them as big game with set seasons and limits. They  now say those states plans are good to go.
Wyoming classified them, essentially, as shoot on site varmints. It is back to the drawing board there.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic