OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Wolves vs coyote

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 06:46
There was a special on Discovery not too long ago about wolves.  Some researchers or workers (can't remember the exacts) were working in a remote area.  One had a close encounter with a wolf stalking him as he had went for a walk.  Not too long after, the wolf got him.  They found the tracks of the wolves as they had stalked him.  Never to be found again.

As for the comment about us being on top of the food chain.. Hmmm... if we were left to use nothing but our claws and teeth, i'm afraid we'd be nothing more than kibbles & bits.  Thank goodness cousin Ugg came up with the spear!
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 07:09
Not as rare as the tree huggers would have you believe.  The second link is a slightly different situation:

Edited by Dogger - April/14/2009 at 08:41
God save the Empire!
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 11:51
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

Originally posted by hunterwingler hunterwingler wrote:

Damn wolves around here in idaho have took a big bite out the elk population. to bad we cant hunt them "YET"  

It is coming and I will be one of the first in line in Montana to get as many tags as I can!
Yep better belive  I'll be there as well.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 12:35
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 13:12
Good story, that fills in the details of my first link.

Liked this line from story, "In more than a hundred years, only one human death in North America had even been tentatively linked to an attack by nonrabid wolves in the wild"

Hard to complain about getting killed if the wolf leaves you as a little deposit in the bush.
God save the Empire!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 16:23
Actually, I like shooting the "deer dogs".  Catch one or more running into my club or on my land and they are buzzard meat.  I had to quit using a .22 on them, though.  They don't ROLL far enough.  Takes a 30-06 or better to really bounce one.  Have not had the opportunity to blast one with the Lott yet, but I'm sure it won't be long.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 17:44
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Actually, I like shooting the "deer dogs".  Catch one or more running into my club or on my land and they are buzzard meat.  I had to quit using a .22 on them, though.  They don't ROLL far enough.  Takes a 30-06 or better to really bounce one.  Have not had the opportunity to blast one with the Lott yet, but I'm sure it won't be long.  

my brother in law drilled one with my 300 win mag many moons ago, i had some 150gr ballistic tips i loaded up extra hot and im not joking it cut that dog in half. the lott would turn a coyote inside out.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 18:00
I was talking about the deer hunting dogs.  People around here don't understand the words "no hunting with dogs allowed".  

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2009 at 07:42
I hunt with "deer dogs" from time to time in Ga. I don't think it would be a good idea for anyone to shoot my dog.They might find themself in a little more conflict than one person would ever want to be in. I do keep them  "deer dogs"off other peoples property and have respect for other people while hunting this.I also have the same problem iin alabama with people not understanding the words "no hunting with dogs allowed",Dan. I give a warning shot the first time.the second time I see the dog it is relocated to the farm in the sky.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2009 at 09:05
i lost the chance at two nice deer during archery season a few years ago to a a collie, it came running into the woods and i was just pulling my string back to take a shot and the deer of course bolted out of there. i was pissed, then i heard the owners talking. they were taking a walk down the township road and they let the dog get away from them. i hauled ass out to the road and proceeded to scare the hell out of them. i told them i catch that dog in my woods again during deer season i would kill it as would anybody else hunting my woods. needless to say the dog hasnt been back.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 11:55
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

I hunt with "deer dogs" from time to time in Ga. I don't think it would be a good idea for anyone to shoot my dog.They might find themself in a little more conflict than one person would ever want to be in. I do keep them  "deer dogs"off other peoples property and have respect for other people while hunting this.I also have the same problem iin alabama with people not understanding the words "no hunting with dogs allowed",Dan. I give a warning shot the first time.the second time I see the dog it is relocated to the farm in the sky.

Brandon,

I love ya’, bro, but this is a “teachable moment” I cannot let slide.  First off, send me a picture of your dog and IF he makes to my hunting area, I will fire a warning shot… just for you.  However, remember the 100x400sq/yd "clearing" area of the Lott. 

OK, for dog hunting… YOU (this is the "all inclusive" YOU) trained your dog to hunt deer (or had someone do it for you).  YOU are responsible for being able to control the animal and make sure it does not 1) violate property lines, ie., crossing into a hunting club to which you do not belong and such hunting is not allowed…making it ILLEGAL, 2) venture into areas where hunting with dogs is ILLEGAL.  It is not my obligation to let it go OR to fire a warning shot.  If you do not have such control of the animal, you should not be hunting with it.  I have a REALLY hard time telling dogs from wolves or coyotes, which are natural predators and obtain their food from killing other animals… that is what predators do.  (When I was very young, there was a county around Crockett, Texas that allowed deer hunting with dogs… most other counties around there did not.  I went a few times with a friend, have never been again since.  It is not hunting to me, I didn’t enjoy it.  I have read Teddy Roosevelt’s works praising the practice, but I find no justification for it.  If you want to hunt that way, it is OK with me, just keep your dogs where they belong.  It should be noted though, that those dogs in Texas were well trained enough that if even in “full chase” they heard the horn, they would stop and come to the horn.  Not many people bother to train their hunting dogs to that level anymore.)  Unfortunately, no one has ever taken it upon themselves to train the entire wolf and coyote populations in the difference between domestic animals and wild/FOOD animals.  Therefore, they will hunt and kill just about anything that passes for food in their eyes.  (which regardless of the BS articles, MAN does not constitute a food source for them... there are VERY RARE exceptions, mostly myth, of people being attacked by wolves or coyotes, but I remember a plane crash where some of the passengers ended up as food, they made a couple of movies about it… can’t say I’ve ever heard that wolves or coyotes will eat their own).  However, a large majority of the “sporting population” espouse the glories of indiscriminately killing wolves and coyotes while damning the action of killing a dog that, whether directed by his master or on his own accord, is executing a criminal act, ignorance of the law is no excuse, right?.  Wolves and coyotes, if one were inclined to do research, do engage in, what is considered by uninformed humans indiscriminate killing, massive killing of livestock… at times of the year where there is very little other food.  They really don’t have mass storage devices so, in lieu of a freezer, they tend to let the carcasses lie in the snow until they can come back and consume the spoils.  It is true that sometimes they don’t make it back, but that is generally Man’s fault or some larger predator prevents them from coming back to the kills, or some other creature despoils the flesh before the wolves can make it back.   I’m not saying people should let the predators kill their livestock.  But, thinking back on an earlier comment, why can’t you just fire a warning shot or two?  Why do you have to kill them for doing what predators do???

I will kill predators when they “infringe” upon my “territory” or when they endanger another person or pets… just because they don’t want to consume you doesn’t mean they won’t cause serious harm for a perceived territorial violation.  Hunting of predators when they become overpopulated is OK with me… where the areas are directly affected (look at what the enviro-whackos are doing to the poor ground squirrels.  It would make much more sense to me to allow hunters to decrease the population rather than just blowing them up in their dens).  I’ve fought internally over these things for years. 

If someone were to shoot one of my animals, I would be in a Tazmanian Devil RAGE.  However, none of my animals are trained to chase game, so it would have to be a malicious shooting.  Unless, of course, my animal was to be chasing a deer or some other animal across someone else’s property (not likely, since they have all been trained to “come to call”).  In that case, I would be angry, and certainly heartbroken…God knows, I just went through one of the most devastating pet losses I have suffered and it hurts… but, most of the anger in that case should be self-directed.  I would be the one at fault for placing my pet in that situation, for not having adequately trained and contro

rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 20:13
I feel that any hunting with dogs ,Deer,bobcats ,mountain lions/cougars, especially bears, all should be illegal? this is a sport that should have been banned long ago. it is not really hunting it is chasing down an animal till it is exhausted and gives up, and then held at bey that is not hunting  that is killing and that is not right!      Loco
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 21:28
I know a few old timers who would disagree with this; most who hunted to put food on the table.

My grandfather used to hunt with dogs (one or two) on private land back in the day. The brush terrain was thick (now impossible to go through) so breaking brush and using dogs was a necessity. A lot of times deer quietly doubled back and didn't leave the brush, even when using dogs. This was many years ago but I don't remember a deer ever being exhausted and giving up. Maybe our situation was different than what you're describing.

Our dogs were pretty good hunters too, terrier beagle mix, that were trained not to chase deer into the next county or venture too far. They usually worked back and forth the areas between those breaking the brush. Ahh.. memories.

Edited by mike650 - April/16/2009 at 21:31
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 21:40
I believe in today's world this practice is unnecessary those were the day's and they were great! I guess if you were dirt poor and had no other means this would be OK that's a different story, but to do it for sport it is a crime! and I was really talking about outfits or hiring an outfitter who specializes in such an act. would you really want to shoot a bear out of a tree? or a cat for that matter? you can take theses animals with spot and stalk methods very easily. or even bait sets for the bear, where legal

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 21:48
                Hey............... Mike look!          want one?
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 22:07
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

I believe in today's world this practice is unnecessary those were the day's and they were great! I guess if you were dirt poor and had no other means this would be OK that's a different story, but to do it for sport it is a crime! and I was really talking about outfits or hiring an outfitter who specializes in such an act. would you really want to shoot a bear out of a tree? or a cat for that matter? you can take theses animals with spot and stalk methods very easily. or even bait sets for the bear, where legal

I think you would find a great many anti-hunting fanatics who would agree with you completely.
 What does being dirt poor have to do with whether or not it is OK?
 Training dogs and hunting with them is NOT a crime or a sin nor any damn thing else.
 It is either right or it is wrong. Period. Make up your mind which it is to you.

After spending  thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours training a good pack of dogs, I would have no problem shooting a treed bear or cat, especially after a tough hunt trying to keep up to them. Hound hunting can be some of the toughest hunting there is.

BTW, good luck with that spot and stalk cougar hunting. Let me know when you get one, huh? And shooting a bear with his head in a barrel of stale donuts is more sporting than hunting them with hounds?
 Give me a break!

Sorry, Looney, but you are WAY off base on this issue.

Edited by RONK - April/16/2009 at 22:10
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 22:22
THAT IS YOUR OPINION  AND THAT IS GREAT!           kinda like fishing in barrel? and the stalking a cat. done it just couldn't make the shot and found out it was illegal for me to bring the damn thing in to my state anyway! and  the bear with its head in a barrel never said it was sporting nor did I say I would do it, I do however think it is a better way to hunt the bear rather than the use of dogs, and the money spent on hunting dogs????? in my opinion a dog is not a tool, hunting ,crime fighting, showing, what ever.Again opinions. just like what scope do you like or hate    RONK.. there is no need to get hostile! and I'm done with this thread so don't bother replying.  and just a note I live in the west we do not do things like in the east. 
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 22:28

Yep, times were different back then that's for sure. Hunting and fishing for food to live vs. today where it's become more of a sport and less the main source for food. My grandfather never understood why I tournament bass fish and release my catch at the end of the day. Smile
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 22:30

Hey............... Mike look!          want one?

Thanks RL!! Bandito
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 22:32
"fisshhh, nice fisshh... makes eyes bright and fingers tight"...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic