OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Range session

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Range session
    Posted: April/12/2009 at 08:44

Went to the range yesterday.  Absolute b-e-a-utiful morning.  No wind, sunny, jacket temps.  Just perfect for some shooting.  Started out with my buddie's Savage 93R17.  Mounted up a Simmons 22 Mag scope and at 50 yds first group was very nice, 3 or 4 touching and 2 in the same hole.  It's a non-Accutrigger (dumb ass!).  Needless to say, he likes it but he'll probably get one in Accutrigger too.  Then we sighted-in my buddie's 3 big rifles; the 700 MTN .260 he got from me with the Weaver Grand Slam 3.5-10X50 which he also got from me.  It's not the shooter we hoped for or at least we haven't found the dope it likes yet.  We'll keep trying.  Next was his Tikka Stainless/Walnut in 30-06 with the Scheels scope.  We had to turn the scope a bit as it was canted slightly to the right.  That is a shooter!  Nice gun although it kicks a bit!!  Then I mounted up his brand new Zeiss 1.8-5.5X38 on his Enfield 300 Win Mag.  I really like this scope!  Long enough to fit the action of a 300WM and yet enough eye relief that it allows you to stay way back on the stock.  No creeping up and no worries of getting wacked!  Should be great set up for Elk!

A fellow member was shooting a Cooper in .221 fireball.  Oh, how sweet!!  He offered to let me give it a go and I took advantage of the opportunity.  First shot, I wasn't ready for the very light trigger and it went off before I was on target.  The next one I put thru the bulls eye and the 3rd went into the same hole as the 2nd!  We're talking about a shooter he boys!  Talk about a fun little shooter, wow.

Then we went to the pistol range and I got to pull the cap on my brand new Ruger GP-100 in .357.  I traded off the S&W 67 in .38 to get the GP-100 and it was a good decision.  Can still shoot the 38s but get the added punch of the .357.  Got it dialed in and was able to put all 6 in a 4" box at about 15 yds or so.  It will make a nice defense weapon and I will continue to shoot it and get more comfortable with it.

take em!
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2009 at 09:45

Sounds like a great day!!

Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2009 at 11:11
Any chance of gettin some pics? I hope to get to the range soon myself. I love this time of yr.

PICS-PICS-PICS      Zeiss 1.8-5.5X38 on his Enfield 300 Win Mag   PICS-PICS-PICS
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2009 at 14:31
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2009 at 15:24
AND...  a full report the the Range Report section.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 16:35
No No
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 21:36
No Pix, WTH?
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 21:54
I'm working on the pics. 
take em!
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 03:25
Wish I was there!
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 15:45
I wish you were there too 8shots. Not only would we have Pics but probably a couple of XXXX ladies to boot.               Almost forgot where we were.                                 Bounce

Edited by 3_tens - April/17/2009 at 15:47
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2009 at 14:18
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

I wish you were there too 8shots. Not only would we have Pics but probably a couple of XXXX ladies to boot.               Almost forgot where we were.                                 Bounce

I have heard 8's likes-um big and the normal XX just aint enough.

Edited by Bigdaddy0381 - May/22/2009 at 14:18
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
IBGOOSE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBGOOSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2009 at 10:23
How much does altitude have on shooting and sighting in your scope like going from here in Iowa out to Colorado Whacko
IBGOOSE Lead Follow or get out of the way
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2009 at 10:54
Originally posted by IBGOOSE IBGOOSE wrote:

How much does altitude have on shooting and sighting in your scope like going from here in Iowa out to Colorado Whacko

Go to exteriorballistics.com in section 3.1 there is a good, detailed write up on the effects of altitude, barometric pressure, air density, etc.  All you need and more.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2009 at 11:40
Aw man! Thats like School, Dan!  You want him to READ & STUDY????
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic