OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Any traditional (real) turkey hunters left?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 11:09
I tend not to call them I lay along the edge of a field and wait for them to get into ambush range. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 12:10
Anybody else ever use the old traditional wing-bone call? A friend gave a couple to me a few years ago and they WORK, if you can master them. I also use diaphragms, boxes, slates, etc. but it fun to get one goingw ith a wing-bone.

Very often in the turkey country I hunt it is often necessary to call the hens in, with the gobbler following them, because there are so darn many hens that the big gobblers usually have some located already and don't need to go chasing around after another call. This is sometimes possible when they come down from the roost, when you try to convince the hens that there's something really good to eat over this way....
Terry Lamb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Lamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 12:27
Hello John, what exactly is a wing-bone call?
Also, I have a hierarchy of calls, using a box (greatest distance and volume, then my slate for closer in, then discarding both for gentle clucking from the diaphram when they are in really close, in order to keep both hands free for the shotgun or bow.
Terry Lamb
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 12:31
 Here ya go Terry:
pass-thru View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pass-thru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 12:55
Originally posted by John Barsness John Barsness wrote:

Anybody else ever use the old traditional wing-bone call? A friend gave a couple to me a few years ago and they WORK, if you can master them. I also use diaphragms, boxes, slates, etc. but it fun to get one goingw ith a wing-bone.

Very often in the turkey country I hunt it is often necessary to call the hens in, with the gobbler following them, because there are so darn many hens that the big gobblers usually have some located already and don't need to go chasing around after another call. This is sometimes possible when they come down from the roost, when you try to convince the hens that there's something really good to eat over this way....

I made a wingbone yelper form the bones of a gobbler I killed.  I fulled with it until I got a decent yelp....it's basically a kissing or sucking that makes the sound.  Thing is, gobbler bones are larger and produce a gobbler yelp, whereas hen bones make a hen yelp.  I've heard the gobbler yelper can be deadly on toms in the fall after breaking some bachelors, but I've never tried it.

My call of choice is the diaphram.  But the last turkey I killed was in 2006 and I called it in with the box call my late father used years ago....I had just found it the day before in some of his things.  That hunt was special.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Lamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 13:27
Well I'll be! Thanks 300, and to think an old fart like me had thought he had seen all things turkey!
Terry Lamb
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 13:47
I think the best Turkey gun would be a T/C contender 10''/12'' barrel in 22 mag? but then again I don't hunt Turkey.   Loco
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 14:05
Originally posted by John Barsness John Barsness wrote:

Very often in the turkey country I hunt it is often necessary to call the hens in, with the gobbler following them, because there are so darn many hens that the big gobblers usually have some located already and don't need to go chasing around after another call.

Furious   Darn hens.  Get a tom coming in hot, spies hens and cuts off or the ladies bust you.  Furious

If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 23:46
I dont know I call turkeys I get coyotes and bobcats.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2009 at 06:50
  THAT'S better than hunters of the human breed!  BTDT!!
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2009 at 08:34
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

I dont know I call turkeys I get coyotes and bobcats.

Take it as a compliment, you must sound real good.  Or it could be you sound like a sick one that would be easy prey.  Do you hunt coyotes?

If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2009 at 08:36
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Have you had other hunters come into your call?  Seems like every year there is a new article about some hunter that "heard" a turkey and fired a round or two in its direction and ended up giving someone a face full of lead.  Not good.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2009 at 10:22
i always get deer to come in its prompted me to seriously consider taking my box call to the deer stand in the fall.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2009 at 16:59
 Some guys use a crow call occasionally when hunting deer. A few relaxed "caws" serve to calm them, as they seem to know that crows are wary sentinels, so all must be safe when they hear one. I bet a turkey call can sometimes have the same effect.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Lamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2009 at 17:08
Originally posted by SD Dog SD Dog wrote:

Have you had other hunters come into your call?  Seems like every year there is a new article about some hunter that "heard" a turkey and fired a round or two in its direction and ended up giving someone a face full of lead.  Not good.

I have had a number of hunters come to my turkey call, and I have snuck a couple myself. A general rule is never to use a gobble call if there could be other hunters in the area. The fact that in most states hunting turkey with a rifle is not permitted, and usually it is gobblers only in the spring seasons, keeps the number of such incidents extremely rare. More frustratingly, I have had other hunters blow an incoming tom for me, including a game agent once, but that sort of thing is inevitable.
Terry Lamb
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 18:09
You know  guys they have name for this all it's called evolution,

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 18:55

Let's just say I DON"T hunt turkeys anymore.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Lamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 19:06

Let's just say I DON"T hunt turkeys anymore.

Well you sure did hunt up that link to wing-bone turkey calls in a hurry.

Thanks again 300!
Terry Lamb
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 19:13
   Thunbs Up !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic