OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Z6/Z6i 2.5x15x44

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z6/Z6i 2.5x15x44
    Posted: April/11/2009 at 23:01
Hi,

I bought a Kimber Super America 270 WSM.. I put a 3x10x42 Swaro scope on it.. Ive not shot it much due to health, but plan to start deer hunting again next fall ,maybe elk too..Anyway where I deer hunt is open type country and I want a scope that will help me reach out there. My eyes are not the best so Im now looking at the Z6/Z6i 2.5x15x44 Swaro..I would like some of your opinions please, I know this scope is new.. I also know its pretty spendy for someone such as myself. I do not plan on buy many more scopes after this though either. It should not have a problem lasting another 25 years or so, right?

Any opinions?

Thanks!

JF
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2009 at 23:07
I would think that the 10X Swaro will reach further than the effective range of that rifle for Elk.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2009 at 23:19

And I would completely agree with 3-tens.

JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2009 at 23:55
I guess its more about my eye sight looking through the scope than anything. I would like to be able to shoot up to 700 yards, thats aboot the max for this rifle anyway, maybe even 650 would be closer.
cccombo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cccombo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2009 at 00:45
A Z6 2.5-15 would be perfect, let us know how good it is :) 
"In politics shared hatreds are almost always the basis of friendships."  --  Alexis de Tocqueville
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2009 at 00:52
Swaro also has a new 3-18x50mm Z-6 out..But Im thinkin that would be a awfully large scope for a slimrifle like this.
big boar View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big boar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2009 at 00:58
If you've not shot much due to health, are you capable of making a shot, from a field position, out to 650 yds? I'd be tempted to try what you have (10X) on a target, out at 300, 400 and 500. Be honest about your shooting abilities, can you consistantly hit a 8" plate for deer? Your 10X is probably enough but I'd be the last person to talk you out of a new scope. I think most people on this forum are here to justify purchasing another scope and/or bino.(Me also, though I don't need much persuasion). If I knew I wouldn't be depriving the kids and wife I'd get it.  
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2009 at 01:06
Well Ive not shot that much for the past 4 years, not by choice. Ive never shot at anything including targets further than 300 yards.Ive killed deer at this range (300 yards) with good shot placement.. Ive bought this new rifle and plan on getting as good as I can with it.That may mean 650 yards max, or it may mean less, don't know?
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2009 at 02:17
Before you shoot at an animal att 650 yards You should practice A LOT to distances far beyond that.
Othervise you'r shot will be "to whom it may concern" and that is ethically terrible.
To be fully honest, I don't belive for a second that you will hit a deer at 550, as it requires a lot from the shooter.

Apart from that, the Z6 is very nice scope and I liked the 2,5-15x56 that I used a lot last year. 15X is a lot more than 12X.........

Technika
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2009 at 09:53
Once you get beyond 300 or400 yards, killing game cleanly under hunting conditions grows exponentially more difficult with every yard of increased distance.
 Exact range estimation is not only more critical, it is more difficult as well. The bullet is losing velocity at a growing rate, and it is falling at an increasing rate at the same time.
 Wind that barely moves a bullet at 100 yards will move it completly off an animal at 500.
 The time of flight increases. The bullet's energy is dropping off at an alarming and increasing rate, Etc.Etc.Etc.
 Bottom line?
 Don't shoot at deer or elk or any big game at 600 yards. Period. There is almost never an ethically valid reason to do so.
 Paper targets?
Go for it, and have fun doing it!
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2009 at 11:12
I do understand a bullets path and velocity loss and wind, etc. Its something one has to study and practice.. Ive hunted all my life, just not at extremely long ranges, and not in the last 4 years becuase of health....I do plan on practicing alot! I want to buy a scope that is capable of what I explained above. A scope that I can see clearly through at long ranges very early in the morning..I like the idea of the 6x zoom feature of the Z6 2.5x14x44 Swaro. Perhaps this is to much scope, I was just asking some from questions from the group. I did not say that I was going to go out this morning and start blasting deer at 650 plus. I would like to get good enough to shoot up to 650 yards or so. That is if the rifle and I am capable. Thanks for the input! JF
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2009 at 11:45
The scope you have is capable of doing what you seek though the Z6/Z6I would be also, and it would offer more magnification but also at higher mag you will lose field of view and light transmission to a certain extent . If you feel you need to up grade and can afford it by all means do so, it is your rig and the most important thing is being COMFORTABLE with it. So with that said practice longer shots get comfy and have fun!     Yippee
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2009 at 12:00
Thanks RL, Ive made many mistakes over the years buying this or that then finding out it was not really what I wanted or needed.. I try and be more careful these days with what Im doing...I really like these Swaro scopes, they very bright and clear. I may not even buy the Z I may go with a different Swaro. But they do not make many with high mag in a 40 to 42 mm. I really do like the newer BR reticle that they have on there web site.. It seems like they would make shots way more accuate. At this point the rifle and scope is more accurate than I am..I look forward to getting used to the new rifle.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2009 at 12:02
Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2009 at 20:35
The Z6 is a nice scope, but you have to decide whether it fits you and your rifle well enough.  I am not a very good shot, but as I learn to shoot a bit further out I find that rifle fit is critical.  For one of my rifles I went to a smaller and lower magnification scope simply because I can mount it a bit lower, which helps me hit further out with that particular rifle (the stock does not have an adjustable cheekpiece and the scope has to be low enough, especially for shooting prone).

I think you should first experiment with the scope you have and figure out what configuration of mounting height, position, etc fits you best for shooting from field positions.  Then, if you feel you need more magnification, go ahead and explore your options.  Keep in mind that with the Z6, you need to make sure there is enough clearance between the bolt handle and the eyepiece.

In addition to the Z6 you are looking at and the 3-10x42 you already have, perhaps you should also consider S&B 3-12x42 scope and the new Leica 3.5-14x42 scope.  These give you a touch more magnification with a smaller objective bell.

If you are willing to move a step down to somewhat cheaper scopes Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42 is a very versatile option.

ILya
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2009 at 21:35
Thanks ILya! The 3x10x42 Swaro thats on there uses Low Mounts and the bolt barely clears it.. Actually as far as fit? I would not want it to fit any different really, its perfect with the cheek peice. I just want a little more power, like maybe 14 or 15. I think that the Z6 2.5x15 x 44 would be perfect. But I would not actualy know that without trying it would I. The kimber is a small rifle and weighs 6 Lbs. 10 Oz. So I do not want a Honkin Obj. Bell on there even if it did fit me really.. I will take a look at the Leica, thats a good idea! One of the things I like about the newer Swaro's is the BR reticle..Ive read about it, amongst many others and it sounds like the best bet to me...So anyway I will go look at these Leica's and also the Elite.

JF
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2009 at 21:46
Originally posted by JF4545 JF4545 wrote:

Thanks ILya! The 3x10x42 Swaro thats on there uses Low Mounts and the bolt barely clears it.. Actually as far as fit? I would not want it to fit any different really, its perfect with the cheek peice. I just want a little more power, like maybe 14 or 15. I think that the Z6 2.5x15 x 44 would be perfect. But I would not actualy know that without trying it would I. The kimber is a small rifle and weighs 6 Lbs. 10 Oz. So I do not want a Honkin Obj. Bell on there even if it did fit me really.. I will take a look at the Leica, thats a good idea! One of the things I like about the newer Swaro's is the BR reticle..Ive read about it, amongst many others and it sounds like the best bet to me...So anyway I will go look at these Leica's and also the Elite.

JF

If memory serves me right, Z6 eyepiece is a bit larger than the eyepiece on the Swaro American.  You would probably need to mount the Z6 (any Z6) a bit higher.

ILya
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2009 at 21:59
Medium rings at the most I hope.
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2009 at 22:18
ILya,
New Leica 3.5-14x42 ER Rifle Scope comes with a BR. I will wait until this scope comes out before I buy I think as I am in no hurry. Im curious if the distance reticle is anything like the Swaro.Have you seen these new Leica's? Thanks for the info! JF

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2009 at 22:27
Originally posted by JF4545 JF4545 wrote:

Medium rings at the most I hope.

Depends on the ring/base manufacturer and rifle used but in most cases Mediums should work with a z6 44mm. I'm using medium Talleys with my z6 (50mm) sitting on a m700. I could actually go to the Talley low's.  
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic