OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Shotgun / BlackPowder Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold Ultimate Slam Muzzleloader Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flintlock1776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold Ultimate Slam Muzzleloader Scope
    Posted: April/11/2009 at 15:31
I just got this scope; my gunsmith put on the rings and such. I have yet to get a chance to get out to the gun range and shoot it in myself.

I'll be using .50 cal Powerbelt 245 Grain Hollow Point with 100 grains of Pyrodex powder (2 - 50 cal. pellets).

Any tips or suggestions about getting the best with my Leupold Ultimate Slam 3-9x40mm scope is appreciated.
Remember the 343

George Johnson, Ladder 157 / Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157 / Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2 / Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2009 at 16:14
http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/shotgunmuzzleloader-scopes/ultimateslam/
Not sure if you are familiar with muzzleloaders but I have been using them for a while so I will mention a couple of things that hopefully will help.  Accuracy is the product of considtency and with a muzzleloader there are several variables but one of the important ones is consistent seating depth.  If you run a wet patch then a dry patch down the barrel after each shot it will help you to get consistent seating depth.   Prevent double charging by  making a mark on your rod and if it doesnt go in that far you may have double charged it .  Sooner or later you will be at the range and run a dry patch down a dirty barrel rather than the wet patch first and the rod will get stuck in the barrel - just pour some cleaning solvent down the barrel and it will get the patch wet and it will come out.  I prefer the Barnes copper bullets and have used both 250 and   285 with good success.  As for the scope BDC reticles only work at one particular power remember that if you go to the lowest power the hold over marks are not useable for hold over and one should estimate hold over by knowing the trajectory.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Flintlock1776 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flintlock1776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2009 at 21:42
Thanks!

So, I shoot in at 100 yards a 9 power. If I hit bullseye with that then I can use the lower reticule for longer distances?

I figure with .50 cal under 100 yards I don't have to worry about it if I drop the magnification since they are so much closer, yes?
Remember the 343

George Johnson, Ladder 157 / Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157 / Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2 / Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
danny3572 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danny3572 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2009 at 11:35
If you read the owners manual on your ultimate slam there's an area that tells you the load you have to use, you can choose either 2 or 3 50grain pellets and a 250 grain pointed sabot the 250grain is not optional unfortunately. I didn't want to see you waste your time or money.Good luck it hope you like it.
CC View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2009 at 09:35
IMHO you are shooting a load with a max effective range of no more than 150 yds.  The 245g PB HP is a low BC bullet compared to say a 250g SST/Shockwave.  Powerbelts at the speed you are shooting them at drop like a brick beyond 100 yds.  I have never shot a gun with the Ultimate Slam scope but its likely that the ballistic reticle as its designed will not match up well with your load.  I'd sight it in dead on at 100 yds and then detemine what distance each of the ballistic hash marks are zeroed at.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2009 at 09:44
My dad killed a Coyote at 276 yards with a 245 grain powerbelt pointed bullet.  I have hit rocks consistently at 200 yards.  I would have no concens engaging a deer at 200 yards.

We shoot 150 grains (3 pellets) of triple seven. For that kind of distance I would recommend 3 pellets as well,  2 is just not going to be enough.   I highly recommend it over pyrodex.  It is considerably cleaner.  I shot 8 shots the other day with mine and never had any trouble loading the Powerbelts even after the 8 shots.  

I have been hunting black powder nearly every season for the last 16 years and have tried a lot of stuff.  Power belts are great bullets and triple seven is the best powder I have used to this point. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic