OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Quality Control

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quality Control
    Posted: April/10/2009 at 10:05
New to forum, been into shooting sports over 50 years, started out with rifles moved to pistols some years back and now returning to target/bench rest shooting. I'm finding scopes are not what they once were in terms of quality, 40 years ago I purchase Burris and Weavers that are still good today, recently purchase a Nikon Monarch and a Mueller APV for a 10/22, the Monarch has been returned for repairs twice and the Mueller is working great.

I guess my point is with our current world economy & outsourcing its potluck what you receive in terms of quality or at least on the low end to moderate priced  optics.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2009 at 10:14
Me, too.  In the Olden Days you bought a scope---any scope---and it worked like a scope!!  Some were better than others as far as lens clarity, edge to edge, but they all allowed you to shoot a deer.  Now the dern things seem to be flying apart when people shoot their rifles. Shocked  At least, that seems to be what everyone is saying!! 

I still buy the Old Ones ( like the Ancient Ones from the Anasazi Indian legends ) and they still work after forty years---although they are not enabling me to see in the pitch black darkness.  [ We had to go to the barn to milk cows after dark anyway....]  Big Grin

I figure if I spent $500 on a SCOPE (  Shocked  ) that the dang thing better not fly apart!!!!   Furious
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2009 at 10:17
maybe im just lucky, but ive never had a scope crap out on me yet. ive used everything from weaver k-4's to 4200 elites of today.
i also have been using nikons for the last 10 or so years without a hitch, i think its just luck of the draw. but after using those old weavers and leupolds i would feel a lot safer with the scopes of today, the 4200 elite is a huge advance in technology compared to the scopes from even 25yr ago.

Edited by pyro6999 - April/10/2009 at 10:20
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2009 at 10:24
I agree...........and they cost 10 times the amount, too.  But they are good.    Bandito
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2009 at 10:27
dont get me wrong, the weavers and leupolds of days past were not that bad of a scope, they just didnt like to get wet. i dont much care for the static adjustments in the windage and elevation that the old scopes possesed, i got into such a habit of tapping the turrets after i made an adjustment, i still do it today with my new style scopes eventhough its not necessary to do so anymore.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2009 at 10:38

WELCOME to ya fellow oldguy! 

Maybe with scopes,as with most everything else today,time is money so there's never enough time to do it right but there's always enough time to do it over. Also rifles of today are lighter and maybe most are bought are in newer harder kicking calibers to boot. What y'all think?

oldguy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2009 at 10:38
quote(
I figure if I spent $500 on a SCOPE (  Shocked  ) that the dang thing better not fly apart!!!!   Furious)quote

For me as a senior on fixed income $500 for a scope is a big deal of course I understand
many folks on this board are wealthyWink dudes but not me, I sure disagree on the improvement in scopes while they do gather more light the quality has not improved
 that great considering  price. I have a very old Burris that has taken hard bumps
and weather and still functions great.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2009 at 10:38
Dont think you are getting a value today - try paying for it in $20 gold pieces rather than Federal Reserve Notes.   I can remember buying gas for  .19 cents a gallon too.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - April/10/2009 at 10:40

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2009 at 10:40
Originally posted by oldguy oldguy wrote:

quote(
I figure if I spent $500 on a SCOPE (  Shocked  ) that the dang thing better not fly apart!!!!   Furious)quote

For me as a senior on fixed income $500 for a scope is a big deal of course I understand
many folks on this board are wealthyWink dudes but not me, I sure disagree on the improvement in scopes while they do gather more light the quality has not improved
 that great considering  price. I have a very old Burris that has taken hard bumps
and weather and still functions great.

thats because the production has been moved over seas and the bottom line is now profit margin instead of top quality for the dollar.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
oldguy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2009 at 10:47
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Maybe with scopes,as with most everything else today,time is money so there's never enough time to do it right but there's always enough time to do it over. Also rifles of today are lighter and maybe most are bought are in newer harder kicking calibers to boot. What y'all think?

Thank you, I worked quality control (not optics) in 70's&80"s in early 80's there was a trend with incoming management that stated get the product out the door if its bad customer may or may not take the time to return but overall ,ship. While I certainly do not believe that all companies do this I think it's more prevalent then most think, I'm not trying to start a then vs now thread but in my opinion when you purchase anything today its a 50-50 chance good or bad.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2009 at 11:26
  Yea,the quality of Japanese products really started showing in the early 80's to. I've got an early to mid 80's Japanese chainsaw(Echo),rifle(S&W/Howa),and a Toyota pkup(305,000+ mi). All are still going strong. Of course I'm a stickler for maintainence.
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2009 at 13:01

Which company has the worst quality control issue ?

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2009 at 14:22
Dollar for dollar scopes are at a lower price than there were a few years back.  Of course a dollar does not buy what it used to.  The price quality things seem to happen some place between 150 and 200 dollars.  250 dollars gets you a very good hunting scope. You have to cut through a lot of marketing hype to get there.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2009 at 15:18
Originally posted by hunter12345 hunter12345 wrote:

Probably China, specifically the really low cost scopes.  There are some very good products coming from China, and their optics industry has improved quite a bit overall.  The sheer volume of goods coming from China today pretty much dictates that there will be more of the bad along with more of the good.

As a whole, I believe rifle scopes are better now than they've ever been.  Optics have improved across the board.  Lens and coatings technology has improved considerably.  CNC machining of mating components and improved manufacturing processes means that parts fit together with tighter tolerance than was possible decades ago.  Scopes still fail today, but variables especially are more durable and hold POI better than they did a couple decades ago. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2009 at 15:21
+1 on what Ted stated
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2009 at 17:27

I think you have some very good observations there, that's what I think.
 There are a lot of junky scopes out there, but I think the better ones are far better than those of yesteryear. 

Edited to add:
 China isn't a company, Ted.

(It's a Democracy...Wink)

Edited by RONK - April/10/2009 at 17:31
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2009 at 17:45
Actually, China pretty much IS a company...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2009 at 18:13
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

I think you have some very good observations there, that's what I think.
 There are a lot of junky scopes out there, but I think the better ones are far better than those of yesteryear. 

Edited to add:
 China isn't a company, Ted.

(It's a Democracy...Wink)

Wink
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Voodoo6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Now With Kung-Fu Grip!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voodoo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2009 at 18:17
Originally posted by hunter12345 hunter12345 wrote:

Most certainly has to be "Sigh"tron, dontcha think group??  Smoking
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2009 at 18:31
Shocked  Laugh
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic