OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

The new trijicon tr24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hossdaniels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The new trijicon tr24
    Posted: April/09/2009 at 11:42
Will someone buy one and let me know how they like it?

I couldn't see spending $700 for a 1.25-4x, but $750 for true 1-4x all of a sudden has my attention.  What is the scoop?

Does it really work like a red dot and a scope?
http://bioplots.com/

A revolution in wildlife management!
hossdaniels View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hossdaniels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2009 at 11:44
http://bioplots.com/

A revolution in wildlife management!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2009 at 13:33
I'm right there with ya!

Torn between the older, 1" tube 1.25 and the newer 30mm tube 1X.

Here's a link to a little more info:
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=21177

Here's a plan: you go buy one, if you don't like it, I'll give you $100 cash money for it.

It will not function like a true red dot because it will still have an optimal eye relief whereas a red dot does not.  I hear it is easier to get behind than the previous 1.25-4 was.

Let me know when you get one, what you think, and on what you mounted it.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2009 at 16:25
I saw one of these scopes at an outdoor show, and I was very impressed with it, as best I could evaluate it inside a building.  The FOV was quite expansive on low power, and the eye relief seemed quite a bit more generous than advertised in the specs.  I also liked the new green colored triangle reticle.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.  I have the 1" 1.25-4X24, and I like the new 30mm 1-4X24 MUCH better.  For one thing, it has much less tunnel vision and the eye relief doesn't vary as much from low to high magnification as with the 1.25-4.  On top of that, the TR24 doesn't have the objective bell to limit mounting width like the 1" 1.25-4X24 tube does. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2009 at 04:30
I've not looked through the 30mm version but I own two of the TR-21Rs. I didn't pay over $520 shipped for either one. The TR-21 is a pain to mount unless you have a Picatinny rail. These things have seriously long eye releif. 

Edited by jetwrnch - April/10/2009 at 04:31
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2009 at 08:32
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I saw one of these scopes at an outdoor show, and I was very impressed with it, as best I could evaluate it inside a building.  The FOV was quite expansive on low power, and the eye relief seemed quite a bit more generous than advertised in the specs.  I also liked the new green colored triangle reticle.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.  I have the 1" 1.25-4X24, and I like the new 30mm 1-4X24 MUCH better.  For one thing, it has much less tunnel vision and the eye relief doesn't vary as much from low to high magnification as with the 1.25-4.  On top of that, the TR24 doesn't have the objective bell to limit mounting width like the 1" 1.25-4X24 tube does. 

+10

I like the new green reticle best followed by amber, then red.

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2009 at 12:34
How does the green triangle work against green leaves in the sun? That's my only concern. Well... That and the fact red does not cause a pupil restriction.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2009 at 15:27
Originally posted by jetwrnch jetwrnch wrote:

How does the green triangle work against green leaves in the sun? That's my only concern. Well... That and the fact red does not cause a pupil restriction.

It's a bright, glowing "electric" green, so I highly doubt you'd have any problem with it not contrasting very well against green foliage. 

As for the pupil restriction thing, keep in mind the triangle is pretty small, and you can vary the intensity of the illumination considerably with the rotating fiber optic cover.  In low light when the tritium source is providing most or all of the illumination, the reticle has a soft, dim glow that doesn't overpower your pupil IMO.  At least that has been my experience with the amber reticles.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic