OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

FullfieldII or Vari_xIIc

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catt_tracker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FullfieldII or Vari_xIIc
    Posted: April/07/2009 at 17:04
A buddy of mine owes me some money and wanted me to take a scope as payment.  He has a almost new Burris fullfieldII matte made in the phillipines with the bplex or a Leupold vari-x IIc gloss with a duplex.  Both are 3-9 and in excellent shape.  I looked through both in daylight and the were similar.  Would one of these be better than the other for a .338 win mag?  Thanks
thinkingman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thinkingman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2009 at 17:31
Both are good.
The Leupy will be immediately replaced with a new one when it fails.
The Burris has a good warranty, but not as easy as Leupold.
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2009 at 19:57
The other factor would be the reticle. The Ballistic Plex is a little more versatile than the Duplex. Both have decent optics for the price and are pretty tough scopes.
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2009 at 07:29
I know for a fact that the Burris FFII is brighter than the Leupold Vari-X II.  The only waranty work I've ever had done by Burris was the removal of a peice of "debris" that showed up on the inside of the lens when the scope was about 3 years old.  I sent it in and it was back in under 3 weeks.  Leupolds warranty service is fantastic too.  I personally would go with the Burris.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2009 at 12:24
[QUOTE=magshooter1]I know for a fact that the Burris FFII is brighter than the Leupold Vari-X II.  ["QUOTE]

I have a FFII 3-9x40 and an old Vari-X II 4-12x40; and have found it to be exactly the opposite.....for a fact.Wink 
Some people just see things differently.

Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2009 at 12:37
Originally posted by catt_tracker catt_tracker wrote:

A buddy of mine owes me some money and wanted me to take a scope as payment.  He has a almost new Burris fullfieldII matte made in the phillipines with the bplex or a Leupold vari-x IIc gloss with a duplex.  Both are 3-9 and in excellent shape.  I looked through both in daylight and the were similar.  Would one of these be better than the other for a .338 win mag?  Thanks
................Both would be fine, but I`d go with the Leupold for the customer service alone. The Leupy may also have the better eye relief between the two which is better for a 338 Win. If your barrel is a hi gloss blued, the gloss Leupy would make a better match. If you have a matte barrel, a gloss scope would still look good.
catt_tracker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catt_tracker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2009 at 13:57
Thanks for the help.  I went with the Leupold.  catt
jason miller View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2009 at 17:34
I hope he didn't owe you more than about $200...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic