OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sightron Issues?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sightron Issues?
    Posted: April/06/2009 at 23:39
I am a frequent reader / occasional poster on this forum and have noticed that "Reliability" issues have been mentioned recently regarding Sightrons.

Can someone elaborate?
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2009 at 07:11

I own five Sightrons and to be honest there very reliable.It seems the ones I have are the good ones,too bad they have a reputation for being unreliable.At least the warranty is a lifetime replacement to any owner of the scope, if it craps out they well replace it with a new scope. Sad 

brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2009 at 10:39
My Sightrons have been good, or the company has replaced them under their warranty.  I don't know where all this "unreliable" stuff is coming from.  I own 4 of them on everything from 223 to 50 cal MLs
Al Nyhus View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Nyhus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2009 at 11:02
   This is the kind of 'optical urban legend' stuff that makes me shake my head.

I've had no more issues with any of my Sightrons than any other scope brands I've owned.  My one Sightron failure was a scope that had 8,000+ rounds under it when it gave up the ghost. It is a discontinued model and Sightron gave me the option of having it repaired or replaced with another at my request.

I've had similar failures with three Weaver T-series scopes, one Burris and one Leupold. And I've witnessed failed B&L/Bushnells, Nightforce, Redfield, older steel tube 'El Paso' Weavers, Zeiss, Pentax, Leupolds....and others.

Scopes will all fail at some point. Shocked Where and when that happens is the big question. Big Grin

Ducking for cover, here........  -Al
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2009 at 11:11
Yep, careful, you are treading on sacred cows...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Al Nyhus View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Nyhus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2009 at 12:09
   I guess the point I was trying to make (poorly, it seems) is that there are a lot of good scope companies out there that make good products.

For example, just because I had issues with three Weaver T-series scopes doesn't make them 'bad'....because I shoot against people that haven't had a single issue with theirs. Bad luck on my part, bad Karma, luck of the draw, misalignment of the planets in their celestial journey...heck, I don't know why those problems. Maybe yin and yang were out of synch and the scope gods simply decreed it was my time for the dice to come up snake eyes...who knows? Wink

I think me and the T's just exist in seperate, but parallel universes and any crossing over or co-mingling between us causes a rift in the fabric of the space/time continuum. The energy released from this unholy exchange seems to be deposited in the scope tube of whatever unfortunate T-series scope happens to be gracing my rifle at that particular point in time.  As subsequent rounds are fired, the schism in the fabric grows wider and more and more energy builds up until finally this latent energy is converted to kinetic form.... escaping with a thunderous rush of hurtling springs, tubes, knobs, glass lenses, pieces, parts and parts of pieces. Shocked

That's my theory........
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2009 at 12:12
CC, things happen, things break.  You make enough of something, more than one person is going to have a problem with it.  Yes, they have a great warranty.  Does it make us happy when items purchased with hard earned money break?  No, but anything man made with have a problem from time to time.  John B. has had very poor luck with Sightron, but the next guy has great success.  Just the way life is and it can happen with any brand. 
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2009 at 12:36
jan feb 09 issue of rifleshooter magazine layne simpson used the 3x9 big skyII on a browning x bolt in .308, he mentioned that he had a scope with a "wandering zero" he put a different scope on the rifle later and it stayed zeroed. other than that i havent heard of anything else as far as trouble goes.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
CC View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2009 at 21:19
I understand that things break and the more of them that are out there the more incidents that will occur.  It just seemed that all of a sudden a scope brand that was praised so highly on this forum was now being down-graded on the SWFA Scope Rating Scale because of reliability issues that I couldn't find record of.  I read John B's post but thought I was missing something else.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic