OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Conquest boresight?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deuceswild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss Conquest boresight?
    Posted: April/06/2009 at 18:55
Just got a Zeiss 3-9X40, and mounted it on a Rem. .300 Rum.  I (or the gunsmith) used Med. Leupold Rings.  When I went to pick it up, he said he boresighted it for me.  He said that he was a little concerned; I only had about 6 inches of elevation left to use.  I've never had a Zeiss before, and don't know if this is common.  Frankly, it's my first scope purchase- everything else had been Leupolds on guns handed down and were already sighted in.

My question is if this is common.  I have yet to site in the scope, so I don't want to jump to conclusions; but I also don't want to be saddled with a problem up front.

Thanks

Jim
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 19:03
It is more likely a function of your receiver and/or mounts.  Not likely a scope issue.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 19:08
3 things. 

Shoot it first and confirm what the gunsmiths' boretsighter told him.  I've seen boresighted guns that were feet off at 100yds.

If he's right then I'd get some Burris Signature rings with the off set inserts to counteract the problem.

Conquest's don't have a huge adjustment range as it is.

Edited by Horsemany - April/06/2009 at 19:08
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 19:09
  Take it back to him and tell him to put a low ring in the front and a medium one on the rear!
That will fix it!

Just kidding.

Kickboxer's probably right.  You have other ring options that will work if you need more elevation, or you may wish to go with a tapered one-piece base...
 Edited to add:
 Horsemany's probably right, too!

Edited by RONK - April/06/2009 at 19:10
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 19:21
A quick fix is taking a empty shotgun shell and cutting a small piece of the plastic that fits the rear mount.It works if your shooting low and ran out of adjustments.  
deuceswild View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deuceswild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 20:34
Thanks for the answers..  The main thing I was looking for, but didn't know how to phrase it, was the comment about the adjustment range.  Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a problem with the scope.  If I sight it in and it doesn't need more elevation than I have, I'll probably leave it alone.  Shouldn't need to adjust it more; I forgot to add that it is a rapid Z 600 reticle, if that makes any difference.  I was thinking that once this thing is set, it's set.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 21:36

I'd be uneasy leaving such a nice scope zeroed that far to one edge of its adjustment range.

Two reasons:
1. The optical qualities of the scope are at their best when everything is more or less centered. Adjusting way off center compromises that to some degree. I wouldn't be surprised if it compromises a scopes' durability as well.
 2. The spring that holds the erector assembly against the turret is compressed a good deal, and may weaken over time.

I'd work on getting the scope adjustments optically centered in the tube, and then work on getting the whole works to line up better to the line of bore, via the mounting system.
You'll sleep better knowing it was set up right, especially on a relatively hard kicker like your .300 RUM.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 22:15
Don't try to shim it until you find out what is wrong, if the mount centers are off, as suggested -- thats another problem.  I'll bet if you take out the bolt and look down the bore holding the gun steady by some support on a small bright object at 25 yds, and lift your head up to look at the reticle it will be off by 4-6 inches.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deuceswild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2009 at 07:38
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

I'd work on getting the scope adjustments optically centered in the tube, and then work on getting the whole works to line up better to the line of bore, via the mounting system.
You'll sleep better knowing it was set up right, especially on a relatively hard kicker like your .300 RUM.

How would I go about doing that?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deuceswild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2009 at 07:40
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

Don't try to shim it until you find out what is wrong

Actually, the gunsmith mentioned shimming it.  I'm not real sure what shimming is though, or if it would void the warranty.
glockman55 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glockman55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2009 at 07:42
Originally posted by Horsemany Horsemany wrote:

3 things. 

Shoot it first and confirm what the gunsmiths' boretsighter told him.  I've seen boresighted guns that were feet off at 100yds.

If he's right then I'd get some Burris Signature rings with the off set inserts to counteract the problem.

Conquest's don't have a huge adjustment range as it is.

I always use Burris Sign. Rings, The off set inserts work great...Good Advice
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2009 at 08:13
I'd agree with my first post and glockman55 the Burris Signature rings with offset inserts are designed to adjust the scope body leaving your reticle closer to center.  I'd suggest doing some searches for them and once you see a picture of one I think it will be obvious how they work.  They are also one of the only designs that will never leave ring marks.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deuceswild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2009 at 08:14
I really like the Zeiss, but I'm starting to wonder if another scope might "fit" the gun better.  I had to use the mounts I used to clear the bolt throw, now I may have to get different mounts to allow for adjustments.

I know it probably sounds like I don't have much patience, and that's kind of true.  I've been "buying" the gun and scope for about a year now.  I've put a lot of research time into caliber, finish, and optics.  I'm wondering if I shouldn't just trade the Zeiss for a Monarch or Leupold and be done with it.  Then again, I may have the same problems with them too.

I really hope the boresighter is just off.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deuceswild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2009 at 08:35

Burris Signature Rings
Burris Signature 1" Pos-Align Offset Ring Inserts

Are these what you guys are talking about?  If they are, do I need to get any particular base with them?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2009 at 10:52
Deuces,
 You keep "talking" like there is a scope problem.   According to Zeiss you shoud have 64 inches (at 100yd) or minutes of angle az and el adjustment with that scope.  That gives 256 clicks total, or with a mechanical zero 128 in either direction.  That should be your start point to boresight.  If you have to vary such that you only have 6 inches or MOA of adjustment left after boresight and/or zero, you have a  mounting problem, not a scope problem.  Since I don't have your rifle in hand, I can't tell you exactly how to fix it, but shimming should be a last resort and short term.  The "fix" should be through your mounting system, bases and rings.  For you to lose 26 MOA of adjustment in the boresighting/zeroing process sounds like something is not on the rifle properly.  Find out what is wrong before you go changing things. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deuceswild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2009 at 10:59
Kickboxer,

Actually I am relieved it is not a scope problem.  I agree it is probably a mounting problem as well, and from what I gather the best "guaranteed" fix would be the Burris rings and offsets- I don't know which bases would be in order either.

I am really hoping when I get to shoot it I find the boresighter to be way out of alignment, but we'll see. 

Thanks for your help. 
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deuceswild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2009 at 16:56
... and lesson learned.  Went to a different gunsmith.  He suggested the Burris Signature Dual Dovetail and base.  Said he would put the off-sets on it if needed.  He also said it may even be a problem with the receiver more than the rings.  He said that sometimes happens with the Rem 700 receivers.

Last question Big Grin: With regard to the lack of ring marks that Burris reports, is that only if I have the offsets, or do the regular rings not leave ring marks either?

Thanks
glockman55 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glockman55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2009 at 18:32

You can use the reg. inserts if the off-set bushings are not needed.

RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2009 at 18:45
 Well, Burris also makes standard rings that don't utilize the Pos-A-Lign insert system at all, so the answer is "maybe."
 Make sure you get the Burris Signature rings that have the plastic inserts and get the offset insert kit for them (a couple bucks extra cost), if you need to adjust the alignment. (And I'm sure you do.)
 Your second gunsmith sounds like he has it figured out. Good luck!

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deuceswild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2009 at 18:54
Assuming I have to change the rings (and I figure I do), I will be getting the Signature.  The gunsmith said the Leupold Standard mounts would work, but with the money invested in the rifle and scope, I can't see shirking the rings.  Might as well throw out the extra $19 for the Dual Dovetail bases.   He also said he would add the offsets if necessary.

If anybody sees any problem with this setup, PLEASE let me know. 

As an aside, I really appreciate the forum and the volunteers here.  I've learned more reading than posting.  If only you got your post count upped by reading.........
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic