OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Somebody, ANYBODY

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootureyeout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Somebody, ANYBODY
    Posted: April/05/2009 at 23:49
please produce a scope like the SS with FFP mildot reticle, AND 1/2 MOA ELEVATION ADJUSTMENTS!

I see "tactical" scopes with 1/8 MOA adjustments.  Yeah, right, I need to dial for hours to arrive at my come-ups. 

1/4 MOA is a little better but still, dialing past 1 turn in a pressure situation at different distances can lead to errors. 

1 MOA adjustments are better than the previous two, but too coarse.  This leaves the OBVIOUS choice...1/2 MOA adjustments.  Fine enough adjustment for tactical accuracy and 30 MOA elevation in one turn, enough elevation for nearly all long range loads (except for the dinosaur .308)

This is simple stuff and leads me to believe that the people who are designing "tactical" scopes haven't put much thought into their attempts.

I know I'm probably just howling at the moon here, but I'll continue to hold out hope that some lightning bolt of sanity will somehow strike a scope company.  But I'm not holding my breath.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 07:38
the ss is ffp because its a fixed power. Leupold,US0 have 1/2 moa, just a suggestion but wouldn't it just be easier to dial to the number on the dial then add clicks in any case.  On a mk4 for example going to  11 moa dial to the number 10 then add 4 clicks.
shootureyeout View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootureyeout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 08:00

I left out that I want a variable power, hence the FFP requirement.  As far as 1/2 MOA adjustments it's keep my comeups to 1000 yards within 1 elevation knob turn that is my issue.

RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 08:03
 Sounds like you might want to check out US Optics' EREK knob option.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 08:08
Originally posted by shootureyeout shootureyeout wrote:

I left out that I want a variable power, hence the FFP requirement.  As far as 1/2 MOA adjustments it's keep my comeups to 1000 yards within 1 elevation knob turn that is my issue.

You want a USO with EREK or Premier Heritage or IOR with large elevation turret or Nightforce with zero-stop.

All are good scopes, all are allot more expensive.

I took a silver marker and ran a ring around my elevation drum on zero.  If I spin back and can't see the line, I've gone too far.  If I think I've spun back but am not at the line, I haven't gone far enough.

At long range, 1/2MOA can't be as fine-tuned as 1/4MOA (stating the obvious here, I know.)  At 1000 yards with a 1/2MOA, you gotta move 5 inches on paper or 'eye-ball" it.

Edited for bad spelling

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - April/06/2009 at 16:08
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2009 at 15:54
There's only one solution then: Go with a mil/mil scope (to get 1/3 MOA clicks). Seriously though, there aren't any options I can think of that don't cost a lot. IOR has the only readily available (in the U.S) FFP scopes I know of under $2K: http://www.swfa.com/pc-10157-292-ior-25-10x42-tactical-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx
(and it does have mil knobs)

Edited by jonoMT - April/07/2009 at 15:55
Oculus Capitalis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oculus Capitalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2009 at 23:09
If you're REALLY in a "pressure situation" you use the little dot thingies on the Mil Dot reticle for hold over and windage.  The Mil-Dot reticle will do all sorts of interesting things, but you need to learn how to use it.

Then too, there are tactical scope knobs with numbers -- But if you're getting into "pressure situations" . . .  you should have your bullet drop and the mil dots wired.

Not a slam or a flame here, mind you! I just only recently started reading up on just exactly what the ol' mil-dot reticle can do for someone who has the tables figured out.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic