OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Optic Reviews and Tests > Member's Tests and Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

RONK and the SUPERSNIPER

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RONK and the SUPERSNIPER
    Posted: April/04/2009 at 20:25
 Okay guys, I now enter a new dimension; posting pictures for my first Range Report. (Hopefully!)
 It's all new to me, but with some help from my dear wife Peggy, and her digital camera, we'll give it a shot. 
 Chris recently sent me a 10x42 M (side-focus) SS scope per the SWFA Test Drive program. It came in last week, but I haven't had a chance to take it out until yesterday, April 2.
 Apparently brand new in box, this is a beautiful scope, with an emerald-green cast to the lenses and a black matte finish on the tube. Turrets are cleanly marked in white letters and numerals.
The Mil-dot reticle is black and razor-sharp.
  Resolution was very impressive; easy to focus very cleanly on small, distant objects, (to my eye rivaling my IOR 2.5-10X42). Good way out to the edges, too.
 Eye relief is exceptionally good, plenty enough for the hardest kickers.
 I haven't yet compared the two in low light, it looks like that will come later.
 What I personally was most interested in, though, (especially in light of recent debate on this topic), was it's tracking ability via my version of a box test.

I debated what rifle to put it on to try it out. Initially I had intended to put it on a nice Number 2, Mk. 4 Enfield in .303 British. However, that required a special high mount. And since I don't yet have a good cheekpiece for it, and since I haven't shot much lately, and since the trigger on that rifle is not fantastic, I thought that the results might be a bit shaky, and would reflect poorly and unfairly on the scope.
 Okay, then. Bushmaster AR15. Ummmm, no. Great rifle, great barrel, Jewell trigger. But I really didn't want to tear down the lapped Badger Rings, and remove the IOR from them, if I didn't need to. The only other 30 mm. rings I have are a new set of Leupold PRWs. Too low for the AR15.
 Okay, then what else? Aha! A very accurate Remington 541-S Custom Shop Sporter (in .22 Rimfire!)  It already has a 1-inch Leupold 2-7x on Burris rings and Weaver bases.
 Easy mounting job. Pop the Leupold scope and the Burris rings off, pop the 30mm. PRWs on the bases, drop the Super Sniper in, level and cap it, and it's good to go. (PRWs are very nice rings, BTW). Whole thing looks pretty good.  A quick boresight (on a distant paper plate Howdy) and it's off to the Range!
  When I arrived, the wind was blowing right to left, a good 20-30 mph. Great. I set up and waited a half-hour, but it never really slowed down. Oh well, at least the trees protected the range a little. We're committed here!
 I set up a couple sheets of blank drafting paper at 50 yards. Four or five shots to sight in and then start fresh on a new target.
 For an aiming point, I picked up a 1" round  paster off the ground and stuck it on with a plastic push- pin at the center of the 30x42' paper. (I should have just used the push-pin and left the paster on the ground. I certainly wouldn't have had any problem seeing it, especially at only 50 yards.)
 I fired five shots, ignoring the wind. They were good for elevation, at the aiming point, but strung a little horizontally to the left. No big surprises with this wind. I then counted 80 clicks for Twenty MOA UP. and fired five more. (The clicks were not what you would call hard crisp, but they certainly weren't what I would call mushy either, as is sometimes said about SSs. I'm cool with them as is.)
 Then 80 clicks Right, and five more shots. Then 160 clicks DOWN and five more shots. Then 160 clicks LEFT and five more shots. Then 80 clicks up and five more. Finally 80 clicks Right and the final five shots. The second shot of that last string shattered my push-pin aiming point, and all five landed in the same cluster as the first group, but a bit to the right edge of it, (presumably because the wind had abated significantly by then.)
  My goal here was to run as wide a range of adjustment as I could for the size target I had, while keeping the groups on one page. Thus the 50-yard setup distance. I also saw no need to tempt the wind further with a rimfire .22 at 100 or 200 yards.
 I am very impressed with this scope, and if I didn't already have my IOR, Chris would never get this Super Sniper back!

I will post this text now, and attempt a few pics and further comments a little later. If I don't, I know I'll somehow manage to delete about hours of typing!

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2009 at 20:37
Ron, send that thing on quick bro. You'll have a hard time sending it on if you keep shooting it.  They grow on you!!! I was only going to keep mine for a little while.  Now I will not be removing it period.  If I buy a new scope it will have to go on a new rifle too.  
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2009 at 20:45
Excellent
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2009 at 20:51
Nice job Ron,  where's the pics?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2009 at 21:24
No Pics

Ron, you knew this was coming!!!!   Brick Hit
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2009 at 21:54

Sorry Guys.  Probably won't see any pics until tomorrow. I don't even know how to begin to post them, and Peggy had to leave the keyboard to go and tuck in all the wild cowboys and Indians running around the house!

A couple points of interest:
 The groups weren't great, but they were fired with Winchester hollow point hunting ammo, and not the Eley match stuff this rifle prefers. But I probably couldn't have done much better with ANYTHING, under those conditions. Overall, I was actually expecting much worse.
  I neglected to actually measure the distance between centers of groups until just now.  Since the first and last groups fired were for all practical purposes to the same POI, I didn't think to do so.  I now find that they average just under 11 inches and 22 inches, respectively, (as near as I can estimate "centers" of each group.) This is somewhat surprising, as I had figured 20 and 40 MOA adjustments to yield 10 and 20 inches, respectively, (at fifty yards.) This leads me to conclude that:

A.- I miscounted clicks. Possible, but that would probably have put the first and last groups to different POI.
 B.- The scope moves a bit more than 1/4 minute per click. Also possible, but rather unlikely based on this model's past performance by other shooters. 
 C.- the wind shifted entire strings of shots around rather more than I first thought it did.  Very likely.
 D.- The distance from the bench to the berm is greater than the fifty yards I assumed it to be. I never actually measured it, but will do so next time out.
 E.-Any combination of above factors.

Voodoo6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Now With Kung-Fu Grip!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voodoo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2009 at 08:14
Well done, Mr. RONK! Thunbs Up 
Standing by for the forthcoming range pics.    

One techinical question:
Any particular brand of "paper plate" you recommend for your site in procedure? Do you go tactical or seasonal?
Excuse my ignornance......

RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2009 at 10:51

Yep, Thought So

Where did you find that picture of me, Mr Voodoo?

Actually, a good man can make virtually any type of paper plate work. It's really all about the man, not the plate...
Voodoo6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Now With Kung-Fu Grip!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voodoo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2009 at 11:21
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Actually, a good man can make virtually any type of paper plate work. It's really all about the man, not the plate...

Ah yes....the singer, not the song. Big Grin
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2009 at 13:19
Ah yes, but it's the wife that makes the man.  She loads the pictures on the computer too!!!  LOL
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2009 at 13:28
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

Ah yes, but it's the wife that makes the man.  She loads the pictures on the computer too!!!  LOL

Generally I'd agree with you, but even she is having trouble making this work!

We e-mailed the pics to Mr Voodoo, who generously offerred to post them for me!
 New camera and all, we still have a lot of bugs to work out. Hang in there!
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2009 at 13:38
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

Generally I'd agree with you, but even she is having trouble making this work!

We e-mailed the pics to Mr Voodoo, who generously offerred to post them for me!
 New camera and all, we still have a lot of bugs to work out. Hang in there!

LOL

you didn't let her read that did you.

Remember what they taught us in school....   Duck and Cover, Duck and Cover!   LOL
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2009 at 13:58

[/QUOTE]

LOL

you didn't let her read that did you.

Remember what they taught us in school....   Duck and Cover, Duck and Cover!   LOL
[/QUOTE]

Sure did!
 She laughs at my lame computer skills, so I need to point out that everyone has trouble with them now and then...
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2009 at 15:55

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2009 at 16:43
Lovely stock paint job, why would you ever want to cover it with that camo?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2009 at 17:27

Thanks, Mark (cheaptrick) for helping to post these photos!

The first two are obviously pictures of the range, looking South, downrange.

The next four are of targets as the shooting progressed; the third target pic is a closeup of the first two groups fired.

The fourth target pic shows the first three groups fired; the smudge at about 10 inches from center in the four-o-clock position is a tear in the paper, not a group.

I don't see the final couple targets; they didn't make it to the Big Screen yet, I guess.
 Sorry about the picture quality.  Focus could have been better...

Rancid- thanks for the comliment on the paint job, it's my version of "October Wisconsin Squirrel Woods!"  I didn't love the original stock, so I rebuilt it to fit me a couple years ago, before painting it. Lengthened the L.O.P., changed the grip curvature, built-up epoxy and everything. However, the finish I applied as a topcoat is a little too glossy to hunt effectively, so I wrapped it with that Vet Wrap-type camo cloth. Pretty cool stuff, and removes easily.

Edited to note:
Peggy sent these photos to Voodoo 6 to post for us, but cheaptrick posted them!
 (Voodoo 6 must have had trouble posting them, too, and sent them to Mark!)   Wink

Edited by RONK - April/05/2009 at 17:36
Voodoo6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Now With Kung-Fu Grip!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voodoo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2009 at 17:49
Yeah, my intraweb foo is weak....Thanks CT!! 
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2009 at 21:43
Good pics Ronk I like the look of your gun. Your range looks cool too.
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2009 at 21:59

Well, it isn't a typical platform for that type of scope, but it worked pretty well for what I wanted to do that day.

That range is okay, but only goes out to 200 yards. I really miss my (too expensive) old range, which had a plinking range, a steel silhouette range to 500 meters, a pistol range, an indoor range and a Hi-Power/Palma/F-Class range with 22 firing positions to 1200 yards!

It was almost an hour away, too. This one is within15- 20 minutes, and the annual dues are $30 vs. about $300 plus a work day at the old one.
 Your range looks pretty nice, too, and I bet you don't get wet feet walking to the targets as often as I do!
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2009 at 21:59
Hey Ronk good shootin and nice camo ...get yourself a rattle can of clear lacquer in a satin or flat sheen, and apply it on that stock ? just do a little test section for compatability I do this to all my stocks ,never a problem even over regular spay paint? and it will also act as a protecive coat! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic