OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

help choose a scope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff7mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help choose a scope?
    Posted: April/04/2009 at 17:29
I'm in need of some scope help. I will use the scope for hunting anywhere from 100-800 yards, I've been useing a leupold Vari x II 4X12X40 duplex for the last 12 years. I want better glass, mil dots, maybe bigger objective. My dad shoots the leupold Vari X III 4.5X15X50 MD, I'm thinkin about that. I talk to scott at Liberty Optics and he suggested the Sightron SIII 3.5X10 MD but I don't know if ten power is good out to 800 yards. If anyone can help or give me suggestions that would be helpful. Thanks.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2009 at 18:51
The magnification is only as good as the resolution. The futher away the better (clearer) the glass need to be. Clearer glass with lower magnification works better than higher magification and fuzzy glass.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2009 at 20:13
10X is plenty for an 800 yard shot on game.  Magnified 10 times, a deer at 800yds looks like an 80yd shot with the naked eye; which is easy iron sight range.  This, as Silver pointed out, is assuming you have clear glass.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2009 at 20:45
800 yards is one heck of a poke on game, I'm not saying that it can't be done, but logic tells me to get at least within 500 yards.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2009 at 22:47
I like the Zeiss Conquests in the 4.5x14x50 with the RapidZ 800 reticle

Exceptionally clear with a side focus and economical for the quality of optics you are getting.
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2009 at 23:15
Sightron SIII 3.5X10 MD & Zeiss Conquests in the 4.5x14x50 with the RapidZ 800 reticle  are both very sound choices.  One thing worth keepig in mind shen choosing to buy a scope with a balistic reticle like the Z800 is that the reticle is only good for hold over at one specific power usually the highest power but in the case of Zeiss their web site has a balistic calculator to tell you what power will work best for you and how the marks correspond to specific bullet weights in your caliber - very helpful.  The down side is as the light grows dim one has to turn down the power ring to a lower power say 6x with a 40mm or 7x with a 50mm to get the scope really bright. At those powers the balistic reticle is worthless as it is if stalking using the lowest power.  Many a deer has been missed using balistic reticles and scopes set to the lowest power.  A fixed 4x or 6x wouldnt have such an issue.  The SIII has target knobs and the up side of that is you dial in correction say six clicks 1/4moa each ( 1.5moa up) to go from say 200 yd zero to 300 yd zero. Working off the center cross hair making internal adjustments it does not matter if the scope is at minimum power or maximum power the adjustment is always correct.  Wind compensation and trajectory compensation can be done easily with target knobs. The S III would be a find choice and the Zeiss can also be retrofitted with target knobs or ordered with mildot and target knobs so taking a Zeiss with rapid Z and retrofitting it with target knobs could give you the best of both worlds.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2009 at 23:40
If you're going shooting going to be 100 to 800yds, why not get a Super Sniper like this:
SS10X42 SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope                                                                                       SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
SWFA: $319.95
More Info... Buy Now

SS10X42M SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope                                                                                       SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
SWFA: $419.95
More Info... Buy Now
jantzer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jantzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2009 at 12:41

800 yards is quite a shot, even on big game.

I have had quite a few scopes and I wouldn't be comfortable with that shot with anything less than 14 power.  And that is really pushing it.

I have a 4-16 monarch, 4.5-14 sightron big sky SF, and zeiss conquest 4.5-14x44 and 50 with and without target knobs.  The monarch is pretty good optically, but not in the same league if you put value on ergonomics, ease of use, adjustment range etc.  With limited testing, I think the zeiss edges the sightron big sky and the monarch is a little behind the sightron.  The sightron to me has an awesome side focus.  It's a fast focus and seems to jump into focus to me.  The zeiss seems to have better depth of view and seems to stay in focus better.  After using these two scopes, the monarch sf is way too slow and is a deal breaker to me.  The zeiss seems slighter brighter than the other two, which are about the same.   The sightron is also alot more compact and lighter than the other two.  Between the zeiss and big sky, I have a hard time choosing my favorite.  Maybe a little more time with them n the field will bring forth a favorite.  As of now it's #1 and #1A.

I think for this range of power, these are the scopes to have.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 11:30
Originally posted by Jeff7mag Jeff7mag wrote:

I'm in need of some scope help. I will use the scope for hunting anywhere from 100-800 yards, I've been useing a leupold Vari x II 4X12X40 duplex for the last 12 years. I want better glass, mil dots, maybe bigger objective. My dad shoots the leupold Vari X III 4.5X15X50 MD, I'm thinkin about that. I talk to scott at Liberty Optics and he suggested the Sightron SIII 3.5X10 MD but I don't know if ten power is good out to 800 yards. If anyone can help or give me suggestions that would be helpful. Thanks.

My concerns with a shot on game at 800 yards would not be optical concerns.

On what gun is this going?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic