OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

weaver rings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chucksniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: weaver rings
    Posted: April/04/2009 at 11:28
Last week I was at cabelas... and sae a customized rifle with the OLD style waever rings.

Not like the new ones today.. the old ones have a better fit oppisite of the two screws go.

AND there's a plate that goes against it with additional screws to reinforce them.

I looked closely at where the ring "hooks" together with the base, nice tight fit, unlike the
newer ones they sell today.
That deer will not make it out of my cross hairs.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2009 at 18:54
I thought the old and the new were exactly the same. The ones I have from over twenty years look it. They work just fine from .22 L.R. up to .375 H&H. They may be ugly but they work almost as well as the Talley steel mounts I have replaced many with. That includes removing and remounting on a .375.
You might be looking at some of the newer alternative models.

Edited by tahqua - April/05/2009 at 18:55
chucksniper View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chucksniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 06:00

No, this was an old one. I can see where a company eases and speeds production with a cheaper methods.

CROWSNIPER View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CROWSNIPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 07:20
old stuff works just fine for me ....
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 07:49
 I haven't noticed any difference as of a about a year ago. The last new ones I mounted seemed identical to those made in the Sixties. I hope they haven't slid downhill more recently.
chucksniper View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chucksniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 17:47

I looked real closely at the connections definately different. I was just impressed. When I look at mine, it seems where the ring," hooks", you can see as you tighten the ring down it moves away from the base. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic