OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Weatherby Predator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigpapa4045 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weatherby Predator
    Posted: April/03/2009 at 22:14
anyone got any info on the weatherby predator?

im looking for a new target gun and want to stay with a .308 or a .243

its either the predator or a sps tactical!

but im really looking for info on the predator!

thanks guys

-Shaine-
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2009 at 22:41
That Weatherby is just a Vanguard in camo and a heavy barrel ..you couldn't go wrong with that.... the sps is a fine choiceas well everyone likes them? also have you considerd the Savage predator I shot one of these and I can tell you I was very impressed? the Howa heavy barrel is on par with the Vanguard for less $$ with a houge stock you can get it in black or green. sorry for no hands on info other than the Savage?
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2009 at 06:50
Weatherby has the optional accuracy tested option.  It is a reasonable costing up grade that will get you a .75 moa rifle at the worst.

Remington is a part of the Chrysler group and is losing money.  How it will come out of the federal bailout reamins to be seen.  Quality control is not what it used to be.

YMMV
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

mastsif man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
D. Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mastsif man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2009 at 09:53
Originally posted by bigpapa4045 bigpapa4045 wrote:

anyone got any info on the weatherby predator?

im looking for a new target gun and want to stay with a .308 or a .243

its either the predator or a sps tactical!

but im really looking for info on the predator!

thanks guys

i do not think you can go wrong with either, but that vanguard is built like a tank from a cnced machined stock of chomaloy steel or ss which every it comes in.  not sure about the sps, my guess would be that it is forged, but that is only a guess.  someone else will know and many sill say it does not matter.  having taken down and re-finished many a receiver for making customs out of forged commercial mausers, i can tell you their is a quality difference compared to those receivers that i have taken down from cnced machined receivers from bar metal stock.  much easier going, the results are better, faster and my hands do not hurt as much.  just my 2 cents.  but again i am not sure about the sps.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2009 at 10:04
What does Remington and Cerberus seeking a federal bailout package for Chrysler have to do
with one another?
This is doing a  disservice to DPMS, Bushmaster, Marlin and Remington as far as I am concerned and has no validity. Remington is and will be a great manufacturer of firearms.
Weatherby puts out fine firearms including the ones based on the Howa action. I would consider one of those, too, but I'm a Remington fan. I would get the one that feels right to you.

Edited by tahqua - April/04/2009 at 10:15
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2009 at 11:04
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

What does Remington and Cerberus seeking a federal bailout package for Chrysler have to do
with one another?
This is doing a  disservice to DPMS, Bushmaster, Marlin and Remington as far as I am concerned and has no validity.

We have just watched the President of the United States fire the President and Ceo of General motors (What's good for GM is good for the Country...).  Explain the legal authority for that deal (The closest I can find is the Russian Mafia)?  What's next?  What will Cerberus give the anti-gun Obama bunch in order for a few more billion? Cerberus is playin' poker with people holding a bunch of wild cards and changing rules on a whim.  It gets better, because, they may not have to take it to the floor of congress.  For example: Why should the government contract to Colt and FN when they can have a government arsenal in the form of a "public private partnership"? New product and distribution restrictions ala The Clinton S&W deal? Maybe close and cut the losses...

Here is what the buyer should think in, the paradigm of no warranty repairs available.  If they want a turn key gun then the Weatherby has an edge.  If they want a gun that they can remake as a customer gun later then the Remington has the edge.

We are robbing Peter to pay Paul, and its all legal for now. Note: Paul is to big to fail and has given us large political contributions. If it illegal later,  its to late to do anything about it.  Welcome to the Zombie Economy.

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2009 at 11:35
Ok ...lets not get off track on subjects ..we are trying to help people with their choices on Optics and firearms or what ever we can,and in return get the same back for our efforts. starting a debate or discussion on politics or religion or what ever the subject is not about is not the right thing to do. lets keep these things in the.... ALMOST ANYTHING GOES thread. thank you and let's keep it nice for the guests and others.     Big Smile

Edited by rifle looney - April/04/2009 at 11:35
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2009 at 07:18
I'd go with the Predator.. Never seen a vanguard that didn't "shoot" as delivered... I have 3 Rem 308 Rem 700"s and have had to tinker with'em ( one quite a bit) to get'em to "shoot " as well as my Vanguards
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic