OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope info overload.....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope info overload.....
    Posted: April/03/2009 at 15:04
I'm going to try to keep this simple because I have so many different scopes floating around in my miind that are close to what I need but don't make it for one reason or another.

I need a scope that:

1. Is $200 or under. (I know a significant number of you will stop reading right here. I wish I had the money to spend on a scope that you do).

2. Is AO, and focusable at 25yds or a bit less. This is the most crucial factor besides cost.

3. Has a magnification factor of at least ?-20x, preferably higher, 24, 25or 32, but 20x will do it

4. 15" overalll length or less. (Hopefully 12"-13").

5. Can be up to 50mm, but 44mm or 40mm is preferred.

The glass doesn't have to be great quality, obviously not at $200 max. But there ought to be some scope out there I can use that will do the job between 25 and 100yds for $200 or less.

You're right. My eyes are shot, damn it.

Too much laser surgery which I have to have to preserve my overall vision, which is still "OK." I can still read and so on but it doesn't do much for my ability to shoot accurately.

Thanks,

Mike
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2009 at 15:12
Tall order for $200

Is this for a rimfire?
God save the Empire!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2009 at 15:14
I'm not sure there is such an animal.
take em!
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2009 at 15:15

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2009 at 15:20
They both have 50mm objectives, but...

http://www.swfa.com/pc-12782-2213-vortex-6-24x50-crossfire-rifle-scope.aspx
http://www.swfa.com/pc-15191-2213-new-vortex-6-24x50-crossfire-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx

THis one is not quite 20x.  But is a good scope.
http://www.swfa.com/pc-2176-200-bushnell-5-15x40-legend-rifle-scope.aspx

I used to have one of these.  And for what it is it is not to bad.  I survived a few hundred rounds on a savage .308 just fine.  Adjustments seemed to work okay as well, glass was not bad at all for $80.
http://www.swfa.com/pc-5607-742-tasco-6-24x42-target-varmint-riflescope.aspx

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
mickey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2009 at 15:27
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

Tall order for $200

Is this for a rimfire?

As a matter of fact yes, it's for a rimfire bit I omitted that fact because I didn't want to limit people's thinking purely to "rimfire scopes."

Thanks.
mickey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2009 at 15:32
It looks like the Honorable Ed Connelly is on the case. I feel better now.
Mike

Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

Al Nyhus View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Nyhus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2009 at 15:44
    Hi Mickey.

You're right...in a new scope that's a tall order.

Honestly, the only new one I'd feel confortable suggesting in that price range would be the Bushnell Trophy 6-18X40. These are decent scopes with above average glass for the price and they seem to be pretty durable. They're airgun rated which indicates that there's been a bit more attention paid to recoil management of the erector tube assy. by the factory. A pal of mine has one of these on a budget 223 prairie dog gun and it's given excellent service for over 5 years with zero hiccups. He shoots about 2000 rounds a year through that gun at 'dogs...so it gets used pretty well.

Another good scope to consider would be a used Weaver V16....nice optics and they can be had used for around the $200 mark.

Hope this helps. Smile   -Al

P.S. I'll not list the ones to stay away from....you can connect those dots pretty easily. Wink
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2009 at 15:50
I would look for a used Tasco World Class or Simmons. As a matter of fact I may have one laying around. If I do you can have it. Just PM me your address. I know I got something like that on a rifle trade and the owner stated it worked fine. Let me check it out when I get home today.
mickey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2009 at 20:28
Ed,

I can't tell if this is a graphic of you doing scope research OR if it's a graphic of a psychiatrist taking notes on an obviously disturbed patient. I'm leaning towards the latter.

Mike

Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2009 at 20:43
Supertool73 nailed itThunbs Up

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2009 at 20:44
Still looking. I haven't forgotten (yet).
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2009 at 23:37
With bad eyes you really should be budgeting $350 for a Weaver V24 but if you can't swing it then you can't swing it.

For the ranges that you'll be dealing with you can get away with a Mueller Tactical 8.5-25x44. The glass is very good for the money but eye position is critical with this scope. Move a hair off axis and it winks out on you. These are assembled in China but using decent Japanese lenses. This photo is of a Muller 8.5-25x50 Eradicator and is the Tactical's big brother.

The Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5-20x50 is HUGE but the optics are as good as the Mueller and eye position is far less critical. The downside for target shooting is fat cross hairs. These come out of the Philippines and are decent scopes.

The last one that I'll include is the Simmons ProHunter 6-21x44. I have an older 6-24x44 that I bought it just because I was broke at the time and curious how well it would work. I guess I was one of the lucky ones because I'm shocked that this Chinese scope works as well as it does. The downside (besides its length) is that the quality is said to be hit or miss and you might get a really good one or a really bad one. Second the jury is still out on how well they hold up over time but that should be less of a problem on a rimfire. For now I'm happy and not planning on replacing it until it dies on me.

Edited by sholling - April/07/2009 at 23:41
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic