OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

INEXPENSIVE VARMINT RIG?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: INEXPENSIVE VARMINT RIG?
    Posted: April/02/2009 at 23:27
I'm looking for a backup rifle to take on a prairie dog hunt this summer.  Keep in mind, this is just in case my main rig goes tits up, so I don't want to spend much. 

Does anyone have experience with H&R?  I was looking at their Varmint Ultra model and it looks pretty nice for the price.

Thanks,
Huff
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2009 at 23:39
Why dont you pick up a Savage accutrigger  17HMR or a Marlin 17HMR

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
mastsif man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
D. Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mastsif man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2009 at 06:54
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Why dont you pick up a Savage accutrigger  17HMR or a Marlin 17HMR
that was my thought or even a step up to one of their inexpensive 223s such as the 12fv which lists for 658, but can be had for much less.  my son has one and it shoots out of the box .5 inch groups.
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2009 at 07:53
would like to stick with a centerfire cartridge.  Savage in fact, is one of the rifles I looked at on a well known firearms-for-sale website.  I typed in "Savage" and sooooo many different model came up, ie:10, 110, 12, 25 and so on.  Plus there are a bunch of different letter combinations that come after each of those numbers Whacko.  I didn't make it a quarter of the way down the page....mainly because I have no idea what model I'm looking for.

So, is the Model 12 the least expensive of the group; and can it be had with a heavier contour barrel?
Average Joe View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2009 at 08:51
Try the Remington .17 fireball,it's a centerfire cartridge.
I'm classic shag nasty type.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2009 at 13:49
go to Savage's web site, it details all the models.  You can get a .223 regular barrel for $399 or less almost everywhere.  If you're lucky like me, you might even find a Model 11 .204 with accu-trigger for $229!
take em!
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2009 at 16:42
Originally posted by Average Joe Average Joe wrote:

Try the Remington .17 fireball,it's a centerfire cartridge.

Is that a pretty flat shooting cartridge out to 200 or maybe 300 yards?  I've never even been around one of those; but I'm always up for something new.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2009 at 16:44
wind can play hell with those little bullets
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2009 at 16:45
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

go to Savage's web site, it details all the models.  You can get a .223 regular barrel for $399 or less almost everywhere.  If you're lucky like me, you might even find a Model 11 .204 with accu-trigger for $229!

Tip, what's the deal with all the different model numbers with Savages?  Is there something different with the actions, i.e. different extractors, bolt lugs, etc.?

I know Savage makes a good rifle, I've just always had Rems, Winchesters, Tikkas, Rugers and Brownings.

Thanks.
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2009 at 16:52
some have floor plates some dont some are stainless others blue ,some have accue trigger  some dont stock variations all the bolts and the actions are alike there are a couple of different actions for the smaller calibers Im thinking M.25/M.45 it looks like a straight pull type bolt I think the 110 111 112 are most popular this is what you want for the lower cost?
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2009 at 16:55
Thanks, Looney.  That clears it up quite a bit.  And, yes the ones with the lower cost are definitely what I'm after.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2009 at 17:04
How much are you looking to spend other than real cheap? 
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2009 at 22:16
I'd like to keep it sub-$500.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2009 at 22:27
Have you looked at a Weatherby Vanguard=$399....... don't think you can beat this?
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2009 at 23:31

I totally forgot to peek at the Weatherby's.  I was cruizin' that gun shopping site a little bit ago, trying to plug in every brand I could think of......except I forgot the one Roy started!  I'll go take a look at 'em. 

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2009 at 23:36

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2009 at 00:38
The Rock River would be my first choice...if only the damn things were about a thousand dollars cheaper.Sad
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2009 at 01:32
wait a year they will be two thousand more

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2009 at 10:15
I would make sure you get a Weatherby in your hands and see how it fits before you buy one.  They don't fit me worth a damn.  Look around, you should be able to find something under $500.  My local Scheels has a Rem. SPS in .243 for only $399.  It's in great shape.
take em!
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2009 at 10:34

Since the Rock River is out of your price range, I would get a bolt gun, as others have suggested, but in the same chambering and twist rate as your main rifle, assuming that is satisfactory. (If it isn't, make the new one your main rifle.)

I would set it up with a similar scope-mounting system as well, so everything could be quickly swapped back and forth as needed.
 A detachable box magazine sytem with a few spares is really nice when you're prone and into good dog numbers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic