OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

LONGER-RANGE ???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 08:46
"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

If you are shooting at 500, 600-700 is just a bit more, 100-200 yards, to be exact.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 12:58
With .308 150gr bullet drop is over double from 500-700, almost 2.5x with .243 95gr.  Drift due to wind is over double.  Big difference in 200 yards.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
sniper13 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniper13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2009 at 10:05

My go to gun is a 700 .308 w/20" 1:12 bull and I can and have shot many sub moa groups at 600 yards...and I agree with what was said earlier about the ss scope....I have the ss 10x42m on this rifle, and have made 800 yard shots with this rig.....thats with a 168gr Honady match and 44.5 varget.....

pulling a trigger is easy....hitting your mark is intelligence
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2009 at 13:15
When you find a recipe the rifle rally likes, it's tough to venture far from what works.

Gotta dance with who brung ya'!

Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

With .308 150gr bullet drop is over double from 500-700, almost 2.5x with .243 95gr.  Drift due to wind is over double.  Big difference in 200 yards.

Details, details.  "Ready, fire aim" never hurt anyone!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2009 at 20:36
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

When you find a recipe the rifle rally likes, it's tough to venture far from what works.

(This is so true!)

Whacko

And sniper-13 thanks for bringing this back..... not!....I got it done, and what I am doing is working as intended but with no SS.

Edited by rifle looney - June/01/2009 at 20:37
sniper13 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniper13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2009 at 13:14
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

(This is so true!)

Whacko

And sniper-13 thanks for bringing this back..... not!....I got it done, and what I am doing is working as intended but with no SS.

Just trying to give an idea or a little insight on a capability option for what you were asking.....didnt realize you already had all the answers...its good to know your at least trying to get out a little in range.... 

pulling a trigger is easy....hitting your mark is intelligence
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2009 at 15:36
No I don't have all the answers, and I don't follow text books I work it out for what ever works best for me and my situation,  and go from there. No it don't always work but it's close enough for what I am doing and that would not be shooting at game animals at these distances targets only.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2009 at 00:21
Buddy I'm thinking the .243 is not enough gun when you start talking 600 yds plus.  A 260 Rem is a 6.5mm which has very nice balistic coeffecient and would do what you are looking for.  A .308 is also a very strong possible as is 30-06,  300 WSM,  300 WM and you need to sit down with a reloading book and look at velocity and energy   then plug in some info to a  balistic calculator   I'd look real strong at the Tika 30-06  or the Sako A7  30-06 personally as you get a little more velocity than a .308 but without the punishment of the magnums.  Id top it with a scope with target knobs and this one looks like a bargain Break-in 101

10310 Leupold 12x40 FX-3 66840, Matte finish, Leupold Dot reticle, 1" tube, target knobs, adjustable objective 50yds-infinity, 100% new 2009 demo model, used for current SWFA.com web pictures $667.00 $499.95

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - April/07/2011 at 22:51

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Charlie-bolted View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie-bolted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2009 at 08:06

Loone,

I see where ya goin, I’m kinda in same boat. Lookin at a Savage 10fp in .308, good solid platform to start and the .308 will definitely reach out to 1000, maybe not to kill in a lot of instances but defintely at 600.  Fairly light to carry, maybe not 8 lbs light , but doable. (Vanguard? 2nd choice) With a .308 you cant go wrong. It has been a staple in long distance shooting for since it was born just about. Now I may have a question as to what kind of holdover you talking when you don’t seem to want the mil-dot reticles, that may be a mistake (IMO) and you should look for something finer then the ‘dots’ or at least some marks, when you lookin at 600 thru the reticle things tend to be small? With said, 10” plate? No, that’s tight, but maybe 36”x36” plate ..  I like Horus Vision, nice system and the knobs turn in .1 miliradians, same as graduated on the reticle, look out for scopes with reticles calibrated in miliradians, but knobs turn with MOA, pita IMO. Best of luck to ya!

some days we just get stuck and bogged down, Some days all u can do is smile and wait for someone to kindly remove your butt from the hole you find it wedged into.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic