OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Photography

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 14:12
Heres a few of my favorite pics (all from the eastern sierras):

Edited by Monster - April/01/2009 at 14:16
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
Average Joe View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 14:15
Lake Mead 100ft low

Grand Canyon
I'm classic shag nasty type.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 14:18
Lake Meade, that brings back memories!!!  River Rat!!!
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 14:20
Shutter speed seems a little slow.  Lots of blur.  I'd look at how your exposure meter settings are set up.  My best guess is that there may be to much stuff set to auto and average. The airplane should have been extra sharp.  You have stoped everything but the prop even on an overcast day. Otherwise the camera may write too slow.

Composition varied from great to un-focused.  Good use of the rule of thirds in most cases.  Depth of field was lacking. That may also be from to many auto settings.  The use of a mono pod may help.  You need to learn to twist your body to get compounded angles.  A lot of the stuff was shot dead straight.  When you shoot stuff like the waterfalls, try a vertical shot, same with the eagle and the swan shots.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Stephanie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Optics Goddess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 14:23
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

Very nice Steph.  Eagle is impressive - long lens for that one?

Here is another pic I took of the Eagle.

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 14:27
That is a beauty!

Queenstown Harbour Sunset

God save the Empire!
Stephanie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Optics Goddess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 14:55
Yes. Alot of the stuff on the camera are preset still learning how to twick it. I hope to take a few classes and learn what my camera can really do! I tried to keep the different angels in my mind and sometime I forget all about it because I'm wanting that perfect shot! Thanks for the pointers and I will try to remember them. The airplane picture was hard for me since I was trying to keep up with him which can be very tricky.
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 15:40

ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 15:41

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 18:04
Originally posted by Stephanie Stephanie wrote:

Yes. Alot of the stuff on the camera are preset still learning how to twick it. I hope to take a few classes and learn what my camera can really do! I tried to keep the different angels in my mind and sometime I forget all about it because I'm wanting that perfect shot! Thanks for the pointers and I will try to remember them. The airplane picture was hard for me since I was trying to keep up with him which can be very tricky.

Why wait for the prefect shot? It is not waiting for you...  You have to plan how to trap a shot.  You have a normal reation time of about a quarter of a second. You have to learn  where things should be a quarter of a second before hand. 

IF the thing has more than one auto focus box start to use them.   They are normally some where in the rule of thirds spots. Get the camera off as many auto settings as possable that will speed it up. 

ISO unless you are doing night sports shooting should be 160 to 400.  You have extra light to what I have and may be able to go down to 125.  If you set the camera for 320 or 400, you may over range in daylight depending on the shutter speed. 160 or 200 is a nice setting that produces high quality pictures.  Light balance should be either daylight or flash normally. Unless you are doing indoor sports.   Most of the auto mode set the shutter to fast and do not get you the depth of field. Depth of field is your friend and covers many focusing errors.  IF you use program mode then you may be able to adjust your shutter speed to give you depth of field.  I like a normal apeture setting of f/8 or f/11 or more most of the time. Your shutter speed should be above whatever lenght your lense is.. so if the thing has a 120mm lens your shutter should not be below 125.    

WWW.formitch.com

martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 19:48

All very well done !!

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 23:09
Great pictures, Stephanie!  And I like the camera.  I have been thinking about upgrading mine, and I think the one you have is a great choice.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Voodoo6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Now With Kung-Fu Grip!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voodoo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2009 at 15:44
This pic is magnificent!!

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2009 at 16:40
Here is an Internet photo of one of my cameras....a Zeiss Ikon Contaflex Super B from like 1965.  I have two of these. Superb cameras, but a little slow to use.  They are fine if you are leisurely taking landscapes. 

I also have another German camera-- a Praktica BX 20--from like 1989.  Praktica is ( was ) Carl Zeiss Jena.  A very nice outfit, on the order of a Nikon FE. 

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2009 at 20:01
Great photos should look like you just walked up on the scene and captured it however they often require lots of advanced planning. There are general rules like the rule of thirds where one draws two verticle lines  and two horizontal lines equal distances apart on the image and the points of impact are where the lines cross. The general rule is that a subject should have more space ahead of them than behind. While the biplane breaks the rule it is still the better choice to do so.  Many a photo is cropped after the fact for best presentation.  As far as use of verticle rather than horizontal photos - some things are built up and down and you get more of them in the image if you turn the camera 90 degrees and shoot verticle.  The angle doesn't always have to represent the true horizon it can be canted to one side or the other for effect or to gain a different perspespective.  The angle of view can also be altered shooting from up high or from down low. Try not to cut off things like the top of a  head or the top of something of interest in the background. A good photo should have foreground subject and background.  To eliminate distracting elements in the foreground one can get down low and use some other object like a bed of flower to cover over a distracting object  while leaving the subject higher in the photo. Depth of field (low shutter speed high F stop for increased depth of field and wide angle lens for added depth of field.)  When photographing practice both shooting from down low inches off the ground and up high on a ladder or whatever you can find to alter perspective and play with it so you know what unique looks you can get.  Coordinated clothing color can help with portraits.  All white clothing on a beach.  For portraits no stripes no distracting designs. Blue and Green clothing tend to allow the cool colors to recede and the warm skin tones to advance in a portrait. Eliminate as much of the sky as possible in most  photos as film does not have sufficient latitude to capture it but digital may be able to.   Working with studio lights and reflectors can be lots of fun also for both product shots and portraits.  When you advance enough to start shooting models and fine art nudes let me know I  can make other suggestions on the business aspects.  I did professional photography for about 15 yrs. 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - April/03/2009 at 20:04

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2009 at 10:17
 Great thread,  Miz Stephanie, Ma'am!

Lots of great advice and awesome photography.
I have a Minolta X-370 film camera with a couple pretty decent lenses. I have thought about digging it out and trying to get back into semi-serious photography again , but I wonder if film is going obsolete with all the great new digital cameras out there.

Will film always be available or is it on the way out? Anybody care to share any thoughts on the prospective future of film vs. digital?  
 Can I get a digital camera that would be compatible with my old lenses?
 My best one is a 70-300 zoom which I believe cost around $300 some twenty-three years ago.
 I've taken some good photos with it in the past and hate the idea of it collecting dust in the closet.
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2009 at 10:32
I think film will be around for awhile.....only for enthusiasts and old fossils, however.  SOMEONE, Somewhere, will even cut film stock and load it into film "rolls" for people who have obselete cameras from the Olden Days.....like Crown Graphics, etc.....[ I have an old , beautiful Crown Graphic....that I don't even know how to use....]

But, yes.........Digital has, effectively killed film for the masses.  Nowadays, film is just for Pros and ...............old geezers!!............Shocked 
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2009 at 11:18

Gezzers and art freaks are sticking with film.  Oddly many university schools like journalism still only teach film to students.  They are to vested in the old ways.

Pros use digital.  It is a savings in time and improvement in quality. You don't have the hassel of chemicals; no mixing, getting old, or EPA.  You skip a whole level of problems and get sharper pictures.  Many of the point and shoots can produce a better image than a medium format film camera (I still have one).

WWW.formitch.com

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2009 at 16:26
Sad isnt it. 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - April/04/2009 at 22:54

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2009 at 21:36
For us bargain hunters, there are lots of good deals out there on old cameras!!!   Bucky  
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic