OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Shotgun / BlackPowder Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Strikefire on Mossberg 835

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Strikefire on Mossberg 835
    Posted: March/31/2009 at 16:34
After being very impressed with my Vortex binos, I am now in need of a new dot for a Mossberg turkey gun.  (Strangely, Mossberg makes a "tactical turkey", consisting of their well-proven 835 with a collapsible stock.  I wasn't in the market for a tactical shotgun, but I did need a turkey gun, and options were limited.

Chris sent me a Strikefire today, I'll have it mounted and photographed in the morning and will have it in the field this weekend.  I'll offer a full range report.

"Why the strikefire", you ask: it is a turkey gun and that bright-red front lese of most other optics is a "run away" sign to turkeys, or so it would seem to me.  Also, the Strikefire is one of few red dots that remembers the alst setting and comes back on at that intensity.  And it has an auto-shut-off after being on for 1 hour:  all features I like.  We'll see if the optic is as great as the features make it sound.  I have no illusions, it is no Aimpoint; but since I could buy 3 for what an Aimpoint costs, I'm OK with that.

More to follow.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 17:54

Looking forward to your report!

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 15:19
So:

Mounting the scope was simple enough: one ring, Weaver rail, a few levels, it is an area weapon after all, no need to overdo it.

The front lens isn't bright red.  For hunting game at short range, I see this as a big plus.
The intensity setting comes back when turned on.  If it is to be a hunting scope with shots taken in good light, this simplifies things.
The unit is turned on and off with a push-button switch, not a rheostat.
Changes in windage and elevation seem to be about what they should be (again, not on a precision weapon, will probably never again be altered.)
Optic is bright, dot is well defined.
Flip-ups fit securely.
All controls are intuitive.
The price is right!
Choice of red or green dot, can choose what stands out best against target.  If shooting something bright red, green dot is a nice choice.

Dislikes:
Flip-ups fit VERY securely.  They aren't the best quality covers, but Butler Creeks are cheap and plentiful when these die.
Power switch on the left side is easily hit unintentionally (but it goes out by itself in 1 hour.)

For a turkey gun, it is a great scope.  An Aimpoint would cost 3X, would let the turkey's know I was coming by virtue of a very bright front lens, and would allow fewer battery changes due to longer battery life.

As is, I'll change the battery once each season, I won't worry about leaving it on (since it shuts itself off), and I won't worry about putting on a kill-flash.

All in all, I am quite pleased with the optic.  I am trying to figure out a way to keep the "on" switch protected from bumps, but otherwise am quite happy.  It is easy to get behind,easy to acquire, and seems to do fine under the recoil of hot turkey loads.  And this gun kicks!

The ring ain't bad, not too high, no too low, 6 screws, not Badger but also not $100.

I am pleased with my purchase.  Camo would be nice, but by no means necessary.

If you do not wish to drop $400 on a red dot, and you can live with the power switch getting hit from time to time (though not while actually in use), this scope will do you right.

Also, compard to the Burris: this scope has a NV feature that the Burris lacks.  Burris is sometimes too b bright, that shouldn't be a problem here.

Who would'a thought Mossberg makes a Turkey Tactical.  I may have the only one, I'd rather not have the collapsible stock, but it works just fine.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - April/01/2009 at 15:23
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 21:29
 Thanks for taking the time to post that great review, Rancid!

Couple questions;
 What are the up and down arrows for? Dot intensity I presume?
 Does there appear to be any way to disable the auto-1-hour-shutoff?
 (That seems like a potential hunt-killer to me.)
 Is there a separate switch to choose dot color?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2009 at 08:31
1.  The arrows indicate changes in dot intensity.
2.  I see nothing in the book to suggest the auto-off feature can be disabled; however, it takes nothing more than a gentle press of the button to turn it back on at the previous intensity setting.  Personally, I like the feature and have experienced no situation that would result in dead hunter or missed game if I hadn't had the 1/2 second to turn the dot back on.
3.  When you power on the scope, the dot is red; if you hit the power button once, the dot becomes green, hit again and the power turns off (no dot.)

For the money, I like the scope. 
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2009 at 09:02
Very nice RC.  Have been looking for a something like this.  CT put a T1 on a Mossberg, but it does have the red lens coating.  Ronk - agree that being able to over ride the auto shut off would be nice.  1 hour goes by fast when trying to work a turkey.  RC, let us know once you get tom turkey.  
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2009 at 10:33
It sounds like a real winner overall!
 Might have to try and sweet talk the Missus into letting me get one...

Or just buy one myself, and not say anything! Whatever.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2009 at 10:54
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

It sounds like a real winner overall!
 Might have to try and sweet talk the Missus into letting me get one...

Or just buy one myself, and not say anything! Whatever.

Happy marriage continue happy in just this way.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2009 at 11:14
Yup. Her ignorance is my bliss!
fishin85ag View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishin85ag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2009 at 12:54
Thanks for the positive comments.  I hope I find close to the same satisfaction with the Strikefire mounted on an AR15.  I've not used a "red dot" before, so I figured I would try something a little less expensive than the Aimpoint.
Voodoo6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Now With Kung-Fu Grip!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voodoo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2009 at 13:20
Good review.
Knoxx stock on the Mossy?
I'm looking to change out the stock on my 500.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2009 at 15:17
Originally posted by Voodoo6 Voodoo6 wrote:

Good review.
Knoxx stock on the Mossy?
I'm looking to change out the stock on my 500.

I wasn't crazy about the stock, had to buy the shotgun at Gander Mountain because my local shop said turkey season is a "non-event" for them they stock nothing.

As such (and if you have ever gun shopped at Gander before, you'll understand), I had a poor choice of options.  Most of the shotguns I looked at had the front site ripped off by people putting it up and taking it down all day - and, of course, almost everything they had was on the shelf.

It came down to a Remington 870 with teflon green and camo stock or a Mosserbe with a busted front site.  I told them I'd take the Mossberg and they just happened to have a "tactical turkey"in the back. so I brought this thing home.

I am a fan of pistol-grip stocks though they make good marksmanship harder.  Then again, it is a shotgun.

The stock is OK, the recoil pad is not really a recoil pad, more like a hard rubber palce to put what you want to hurt, and I read some reports of the stock collapsing under 3.5inch turkey loads.  It fits pretty well, the camo ain't bad, and the price was right.

My remington 870 wears a recoil-absorbing specops stock and Ilike it allot.  It ain't cheap, but it does help with recoil.

A range report should follow on Monday, be gone from tomorrow through Sunday, hoping to kill a few hogs and a few gobblers.
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2009 at 18:57
Not sure if it will work on this particular stock, but for my 835 I put a limbsaver pad on it.  Big difference.  The original hardly moved when pressed on it with your thumb.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2009 at 19:07
I might be able to do a slip-on, but for this stock (no holes to drill in) that's about the only option.

Thanx for the intel.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2009 at 16:31
Back from the hunt, good news and bad.

Good
My son took his first Rio Grande gobbler, 1.4-inch spurs, 10-inch beard, nice bird, shot him at 43 yards with this very setup.

Bad
I got in and settled this morning for the 4th and final hunt, hit the power button, nadda.  I hit it again, I tried to up the intensity, nadda.  So, one of 2 problems:
1. The battery died.  Best case-scenario and more probably than 32.  If the batteryis gone, it lasted between 8-40 hours: 8 if the shotgun was one when I wanted it on and at no other time, 40 if it came on when it went in the case and stayed on while it was in the case.
2.  The scope died.

I'll know which of the 22 it is when I get to a store and buy a new battery - probably tomorrow.  If 40 hours is the battery life, that is limiting.  And the power button gets hit often, be advised.

I cannot argue with the performance when it was one, it took one shot and downed one turkey - and at 43 yards.

More to follow.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2009 at 19:34
 Glad you guys got a bird.  Too bad about the scope. It'll be interesting to see what you find out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 08:03
It gets more weird:

I got home, took the battery out to test it, tester said it was good to go.  Put it back in, hit the power, on pops the dot.  Now it works just fine.

Not sure how to proceed.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 08:24
 What kind of battery does it use?  Did it get very cold where you were hunting?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 08:36
I'll check on the battery, I think CR2.

It was in the 50s-80s, so no cold.  And the gun was kept indoors in a case when not in the filed in use.

I would have been far more pleased had the battery been dead, now I am uneasy about trusting the scope to work when needed.

I like it enough to keep it, but will be putting some time and effort into figuring out the problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic