OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Question about handguns and turning 21

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnowDieselTrichs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about handguns and turning 21
    Posted: March/31/2009 at 10:23
Well my questions is this: I am 20 years old and will be 21 in august I have enough money to buy the gun of my dreams which is the FN Herstal FNP-45 USG MODEL Black/Silver Slide...I want my friend who is 21 to purchase the gun in his name right now so we can go to the range and use it alot this spring and summer and im wondering if this is possible/legal and then how easy would it be to transfer ownership when I turn 21?? Please Chime in with the advice now...Yippee
these feds are bugs i spray them with off spray; my closet is like an elementary hoop game; all J's
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 10:41
SnowDieseltrichs,
Don't do it, Wait a few months turn 21 and YOU buy it.Thats the right thing to do.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 10:43
thats what i would recommend. no sense in doing it wrong and losing the rights.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SnowDieselTrichs View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnowDieselTrichs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 11:08
Alright Alright thanks for the advice!! would you suggest I maybe buy a .22LR or other similar long gun just to keep my interests at bay??? i sure do love to go to the range on a beautiful sunny day and bang some plates...lemme know thanks all!
these feds are bugs i spray them with off spray; my closet is like an elementary hoop game; all J's
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 11:11
that would work, or if you have some other friends who own hand guns tell them you will buy the ammo if they let you shoot their pistols??
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnowDieselTrichs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 11:25
yeah PYRO actually my friend that was gonna purchase the FNP for me has an HK USP C.T .45 that he lets me shoot so i guess i should stock up on the ammo...
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 11:27
oh man i would be shooting that usp .45 all day then, thats a great pistol. if i could afford one of those it would be my #1 choice for a hand gun like that.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 11:30
Like the .22 idea as well.  Great fun to shoot, cheap, keep your eye sharp for little cost.  Also quiet, so are able to shoot it in a lot of places where the louder report would bother people.

Just like the late great Jeff Cooper used to say: "Every self respecting household should have a .22"

Edited by Dogger - March/31/2009 at 11:32
God save the Empire!
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 13:35
That borders on strawman.  It could put your friend in a bind.  Count the time by saving up more money. Your gonna need a holster ect.  You might also want to take a class.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 21:00
This doesn't border a "strawman", it IS a "straw" purchase!  Your buddy would be prosecuted!  What would happen I'm not sure, but it wouldn't be good and would cost him some $$$$.  Believe me, you can wait!  It's only 4 months.   Careful with the ammo purchase, I think you have to be 21 for that also.
take em!
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 21:10
When you turn 21, buy a USP.  It'll shoot circles around a FN.  If you do decide on a FN, get the 5.7....20+1 is hard to beat and fun to shoot (ammo is same price as .45 acp)
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 21:23
Remember the old days before 1968?? 

" Can I look at that Colt, please?  And I need a couple of boxes of 22 bullets, too. " 

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 21:42

That's cold Ed....funny, but cold.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 22:36
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

Remember the old days before 1968?? 

" Can I look at that Colt, please?  And I need a couple of boxes of 22 bullets, too. " 

Yea actually I do Mom bought me a 1911 and a ruger 22 auto pistol and a pair of ruger .357 which were nickel plated. Smile I started high school the next year.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 22:59
How did you guy's get into my safe?  Shocked

Edited by rifle looney - March/31/2009 at 23:00
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnowDieselTrichs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 00:20
Prosecuted? i still dont under stand the legal side of this. it would be like me giving a decent sized gift of money to a friend and he chooses to buy a  firearm with it, a few months after that he decides to 'sell it to me'...if you fellas could please explain!? but yea btw ive already had my eye on the GSG-5 .22 carbine? does anyone have experience with these? i like the HK look to itCool

-THANKS
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 10:41
Originally posted by SnowDieselTrichs SnowDieselTrichs wrote:

Prosecuted? i still dont under stand the legal side of this. it would be like me giving a decent sized gift of money to a friend and he chooses to buy a  firearm with it, a few months after that he decides to 'sell it to me'...if you fellas could please explain!? but yea btw ive already had my eye on the GSG-5 .22 carbine? does anyone have experience with these? i like the HK look to itCool

-THANKS

You don't need to understand it. Like most gun-control laws, it was never intended to make sense.
 Your handgun purchase plan could very well get you and your friend into more trouble than you can imagine if a zealous prosecutor gets wind of it.
 Don't do it.

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 12:46
If you don't understand the law go to a lawyer. It will be cheaper in the long run. Plus you do not want to jeopardies a lifetime of owning firearms just because you are in a hurry. That attitude is enough to show you may not be mature enough to own a pistol yet. TAKE A CLASS.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 18:33
Yeah.....too much bullsh*t.  Some states now even require paperwork for a neighbor to neighbor sale..............these are designed to screw up the innocent population.  Next thing we know Sarah Brady will be saying you are supplying guns to foreign powers--- like Mexico and Washington, DC!!  
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 19:57
Yep California has that stupid law it costs like 35 or 40 bucks to get a gun store to do the transfer! Light It Up
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic