OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nitrex TR-2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossiscratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nitrex TR-2
    Posted: March/30/2009 at 21:23
Well, I've been a a lurker on these boards for a couple of days now, but I can't really find exactly what I am looking for so here it goes; I am looking to buy a new scope for a Savage 93R17 GV. For those that don't know, this has the wood stock and the heavy target barrel. First of all, I was niave enought to buy the package with the Simmons 8 point 3-9x which I am really not happy with. I like the gun itself, but that scope seems blurry and dark. I bought a $30 Barska rimfire scope for my dad's .22lr that was brighter and less blurry.

Anyway, now I am looking to buy a new scope that may find itself on a small caliber centerfire when I get tired of the .17 HMR. I want to get something with target turrets whether it's a novelty or not, it is something that I would like to have. I am considering scopes with a price less than $300. I have a friend who can get Nitrex scopes at a discount and I was considering this scope: http://www.nitrexoptics.com/products/riflescopes/tr2/3_15_42.aspx

I have also been looking at the Bushnell Elite 3200 5-15x40 Tactical which is more or less near my price range. I also considered the Nikon Monarchs and Elite 4200 series, but I couldn't find one with target turrets in my price range.

What do you guys think of these two scopes, and I also welcome any suggestions for other scopes. I have read many good things about the Elite 3200s, so I guess I am really looking for information about the Nitrex scope I listed. If they were comparable prices, which would you guys go for? What if the nitrex was cheaper than the 3200 tactical?

I prefer the variable power because I want to do some target shooting as well as field shooting (squirrles, etc), so I would like to retain some field of view. I would also like to have maximum magnification in the mid-teens to low 20s to make those tiny .17 caliber holes a little easier to see at 100 yards. I also plan to shoot at longer range fixed distance targets (for the fun of it, also not animals) which is why I would like the target turrets so that I can re-zero the scope quickly and easily.

I hope this wasn't too long, I just figured I would give you guys my rationale for looking at the scopes I mentioned!

Thanks
skilly1979 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skilly1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 22:17
i heard the nitrex is made in japan and had optics on par with the elite 3200 etc
rossiscratch View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossiscratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 01:12
Thanks Skilly. Do you remember where you heard this from?
skilly1979 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skilly1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 21:08
im pretty sure i heard it on here. when they first came out they had problems with mushy adjustments, but for 2009 they are supposely better but i havent had a chance to check one out yet.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 22:02
With good glass in a 9 X you can see the holes. It is not the power it is the quality of the glass.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
rossiscratch View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossiscratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2009 at 00:17
Thanks guys, I ended up getting the Bushnell... Now I need to find some rings... Don't really know what to look for though. Perhaps the guys at SWFA have some suggestions?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic