OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Super Sniper Problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyclops24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Super Sniper Problem
    Posted: March/30/2009 at 20:27
I have 10x Super Sniper that has never been mounted or used. I would like to mount it on my newly aquired DPMS LR-308. I looked throgh the scope and notice some black specks in the field of view. No problem I thought, I'll clean the lens. The manual states to use a small drop of alcohol with a soft cloth which I did. Still see the black specks in the in the same exact spots in the field of view so it is on the inside. I searched the internet and found on another forum this has happened to other super snipers. So I am not sure who would warranty the scope. I look at Tasco's site to call them and I call the number and it goes to Bushnell who say to send the scope in with $10. Not knowing if this is correct, I ask SWFA and they confirm it. This worries me as Bushnell as a terrible reputation for customer service, turn around time (2-3 mos) and warranty work. Has anyone seen this happen before with the black specks? Can anyone comment on Bushnells warranty service? It is a nice scope but I would like the issue fixed and in a timely manner.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 20:39
When and where did you purchase your SS?
cyclops24 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyclops24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 21:08
Hi Chris,

I purchased it directly from SWFA probaby in 2003. Yes, believe it or not it has never been used or mounted. It has just sat in the box. It has the TASCO limited lifetime warranty card in the box but of course the number and address are no good since TASCO went out of business and Bushnell bought them. What can I expect when I send the scope in? What may be the cause of the problem?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 21:33
Originally posted by cyclops24 cyclops24 wrote:

This worries me as Bushnell as a terrible reputation for customer service, turn around time (2-3 mos) and warranty work. Has anyone seen this happen before with the black specks? Can anyone comment on Bushnells warranty service? It is a nice scope but I would like the issue fixed and in a timely manner.

I have used Bushnell's customer service by sending two scopes back for repair.  I had them both back to me in about 3 weeks.  Was very happy with their customer service.  I have actually only heard good things about Bushnell.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
cyclops24 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyclops24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 21:51
Well I hope I have the same experience as you did. If you Google Bushnell warranty service you'll see where I am coming from and why I am a little concerned. I like the scope and want to mount it, I just want the field of view to be clear. Maybe it is an easy fix.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 08:32

I knew it was an older unit, that is why I questioned you on when you bought it.  Back around the time that you bought it we had a problem with the anodizing of the tubes that affected one batch of about 100 scopes.  What you are seeing is tiny pieces of the anodized finish coming off the inside of the tube.  These tiny particles would not normally be visible in a conventional scope.  Most scopes use a wire reticle that allows these particles to pass through the reticle and collect somewhere else in the scope.  The SS uses a glass reticle that does not allow any particles to pass, in fact they stick to it.  You can see these tiny particles because the reticle is in one of the scopes focal planes.  There are advantages to a glass reticle but most companies won't use them because of this problem.  Scopes can pass inspection with no particles present and then during shipping particles get dislodged and stick to the reticle.  If there are any free particles in a glass reticle scope they will eventually find the reticle and stick to it.  Sometimes they get dislodged and stick somewhere else but eventually they will come back.

Send it to us with a copy of this post and I will see to it that you are taken care of.

SWFA
420 Century Way
Red Oak, Texas 75154
cyclops24 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyclops24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 09:07
WOW Chris, not what I was expecting. That's awesome. I want it to be clear I wasn't trashing the scope. I like the scope and they have a great track record. I was just suprised to see the specks since I have never used the scope. I really appreciate the honesty and willingness to correct the problem especially considering I have had it 5 or 6 years. That's customer service!
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 09:16
Nice to be taken care of cyclops24!

Real customer service however would be opening a branch in Ontario.
God save the Empire!
cyclops24 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyclops24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 09:26
I'll be honest. Since the scope was 5 or 6 years old I was expecting anyone to bend over backwards to make it right. I figured I'd have to end up sending in the scope and take my chances with Bushnell and hope that it got fixed and faster than 2 or 3 mos. But Chris and SWFA stepped up to the plate as they normally do and are taking care of it. I will continue giving Chris my business due to the customer service and willingness to stand behind his products.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 11:18
Just wait till you mount it and shoot it, then you'll really be a fan!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 14:55
I was thinking about a SS for my Armalite AR50 since I do not get to shoot it as often as I would like and why have a NF on it. But after what I had read about Bushnell's CS I was thinking I don't think so. Now after see what Chris F does for his customers I am thinking 10x or 16x.

So Chris if I have problems with a SS do go through you normally?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 15:13
Get the 10X, far more usable in many, many circumstances.  At a fixed 16X mirage, can be a significant issue.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 16:03
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

That my friend is a Classic understatement!!!   Thunbs Up
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 16:08
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

That my friend is a Classic understatement!!!   Thunbs Up

I'm just not as free with my exclamation points as are some.  I stand behind my statement.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 16:20
Wink
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
cyclops24 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyclops24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 20:45
I don't see he need for a $1100-1600 dollar piece of glass when something like the SS will do the job. When I orginally was looking for a scope I called my friend who helped write the sniper manual for the Army. I asked him about the SS and he said he had used it and also knew guys using it and that it was legit. And he was real high on the high end stuff like the Leupold Mark 4. He said he thought it was more important to have someone do a match grade mount and boresight for the scope than having a high dollar scope on top. So with his recommendation I ordered the SS10x.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 20:47

and boresight for the scope than having a high dollar scope on top. 

What does that have to do with a high dollar scope? 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 20:48

I don't see he need for a $1100-1600 dollar piece of glass when something like the SS will do the job. When I orginally was looking for a scope I called my friend who helped write the sniper manual for the Army. I asked him about the SS and he said he had used it and also knew guys using it and that it was legit. And he was real high on the high end stuff like the Leupold Mark 4. He said he thought it was more important to have someone do a match grade mount and boresight for the scope than having a high dollar scope on top. So with his recommendation I ordered the SS10x.

Exactly when did your friend help write that sniper manual for the Army?

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 08:16
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

and boresight for the scope than having a high dollar scope on top. 

What does that have to do with a high dollar scope? 

I think what he is saying is that if you only have X amount of dollars to spend that you should buy the best mounts possible and have it installed professionally.  That combined with a scope that will do the job would be preferred over a high dollar scope on top with cheap mounts and a sloppy install.

We did the same thing with the Army in large numbers for their Designated Marksman Rifles.  They were allocated so much money per complete rifle.  They learned that they could put more money into getting a higher grade rifle and mounts if they used SS scopes instead of Mk4's.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 08:43
I see the points and agree - that good mounts are worth the money spent.

Get good mounts and rings, have it mounted by someone who knows how to mount a scope correctly, and shoot as much as possible. 

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - April/06/2009 at 07:50
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic