OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

308 & win 748

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 308 & win 748
    Posted: March/30/2009 at 19:24
Has anyone used or had good luck with Winchester 748 powder in a 308....since everything is hard to find right now, there is still plenty of 748 around here.  I'm going to load up a few and give it a whirl....anyone?    choice of bullets will be 150's--165's
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 21:31
   Whistling
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 22:51
Well thanks I'm going to go ahead and use some of your info, not to the tee mind you I will work up my own loads ....OK, this is done hope they shoot well I will post pics of targets when done....well maybe not?  Whacko
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 08:51
win 748 was designed for the 308 and 223 series of cartridge. not sure if you want wt. recommendations or what. It was very popular in the late 80 and early 90's. fell out of favor when varget came on the scene, supposedly not as temp. forgiving. heavier 208/210 gr bullets with 760 is/has becoming the rage nowdays.
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 15:15
Max load in Speer #10 is 48.5 gr for 150's and 47.5 gr for 165's.  I've never used it so can't say what the results would be.  This manual says they used a magnum primer with it.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 16:18
I'm using 748 in 223 right now. I'm getting ready to have a shoot-off between Varget, 748, and IMR4895 using a 175SMK in military brass. Basically I'm trying two different loads in each powder, to see which one gives the best results. Waiting till after the MG shoot so I'll have time. The thing I like about 748 is it meters well in a Dillon powder drop.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 16:31
Yes it does I have used 760 quite a bit in other cartridges, and it produces excellent accuracy ...not the fastest but I'll take the accuracy every time. I loaded up 20 rnds with various wt's I'll see what happens.
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 17:12
748 is a wonderful powder choice for the 308, espessially if you step up to the 175 grain bullets.
Don't use max loads if the temps in your area have wide swings tending from cool to very hot ( 40 to 100+)  but moderate loadings don't exhibit any real temp sensitivity.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 17:22
Originally posted by Mike McDonald Mike McDonald wrote:

748 is a wonderful powder choice for the 308, espessially if you step up to the 175 grain bullets.
Don't use max loads if the temps in your area have wide swings tending from cool to very hot ( 40 to 100+)  but moderate loadings don't exhibit any real temp sensitivity.

The gun is a pre-64 feather wt, just use it for deer don't know that I would be using 175's in this one. shots will be within 400yrds but if I build or buy a new one I will give em a try? I have been out of touch with long ranging a while are 168's still popular?
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 15:46
I know it's a 175gr SMK, but I went to the range today for my shoot-off between 748, 4895, and Varget. To my suprise, I got my best and most consistant groups with 748, with Varget a close second. The Varget loads had higher velocities, but the groups weren't quite as tight or consistant. The mirage was bad and may have had something to do with the consistancy. I would not have a problem using either powder.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 18:23
Good news, I've not yet tried my 748 loads I loaded 165's in different increments?

Edited by rifle looney - April/17/2009 at 18:23
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 18:31
165's huh? Are you turning your back on the ever faithful 150s?
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 18:33
No just thought I would give them a try they work good in my Sako.30-06 so maybe?
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 18:36
Don't fix something that don't need fixin (unless you had spare bullets lying around)
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 18:39
Hey this is my stuff! back off.   no these are some old original Nosler solid bases I thought I should give a try. you know good old regular bullets that work!
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 18:43
easy now! easy now! Whether they work or not you will determine that
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic