OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rifle damaged in Fire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 10:11

Hoo boy- now I'm really second-guessing my earlier advice to weld it shut!
 These guys all make good arguments for trying to save it.

Personally, I'd never feel quite right letting one of my kids use it, regardless of who checked it out and deemed it "probably okay."
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 10:24
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Hoo boy- now I'm really second-guessing my earlier advice to weld it shut!
 These guys all make good arguments for trying to save it.

Personally, I'd never feel quite right letting one of my kids use it, regardless of who checked it out and deemed it "probably okay."

If you trust your smith you should look back in letting your kidds shoot it.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 10:26
i would suspect that if your smith double checked the inner parts and replaced springs and pins as bd suggested and they ran a bore scope down the tube and everything checked out it would be ok. i too would have some apprehensions about letting just anybody shoot it also.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
gun74 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 11:15
the rifle was in the back part of the building were there was more smoke damage then fire damage.it was caused by a can of old gun powder self igniteing
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 11:26
mostly smoke damage, thats good, you said the stock was charred though?? how bad how deep?
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
gun74 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 11:39
the wood isn't charred,I checked under the barrel and the wood there looks fine,I tried to remove an area that was black on the stock and the wood is there but it takes a lot of sanding to expose it.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 11:49
so it was basically "smoke stained" then is what your saying, i would say take it to a trusted smith and let him give it a run through and go from there. if anything the wood would be something to be worried about in this case. generally smoke damage is done where there is little to no fire.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 16:19
Ok, now were looking more like saving it.  As I read this early this morning it sounded as the weapon was actually scorched. Hunter knows as do I, If the rifle was up on a closet shelf and the fire was in the room it could have seen over 1K degrees for an extended period. That doesn't sound like that happened. I would still what it completely gone through by a good gunsmith.     
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 16:53
                                  Flame
gun74 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 17:17
my concern was if the metal was getting hot and then the water hit the rifle if it did any damage to it then,some of the stock near the butt plate is darker then the rest and is actually scorched.I tried to put pictures of it on here but I'm having some trouble doing it
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 17:25
Sorry you need to have 50 posts to due the pic thing or someone could do it for you via e-mail I would but not capable Locoof doing so....sorry 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic