OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Mid range scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wileywapiti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mid range scopes
    Posted: May/01/2005 at 21:21
I am looking at upgrading my scope this year. I shoot a Weatherby Vanguard 7mm mag and currently have a Redfield 3-9x40 5 star. I am wondering if any of you have any thoughts on Nikon Buckmaster scopes vs Pentax Pioneer. I have 2 teenagers so my budget is limited. I hunt deer and elk in Texas and Colorado. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
STWSniper View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STWSniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2005 at 01:01
They are both good scopes. The Pentax Pioneer is actually the same scope as the Burris Fullfield II. Burris makes them for Pentax and they are a good scope for the price you pay. I also own a Nikon Buckmaster and it has performed flawlessly in the field. I used it on my .50 cal muzzleloader for the past few seasons. I do not think you could go wrong with either scope.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2005 at 06:06

I'm with Sniper, the BM is a great scope for the money. I haven't looked through a Pentax, but the reviews are pretty good too.

Welcome to OT.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
SOTN View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SOTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2005 at 02:15

wileywapiti:

I use a Nikon Buckmaster 3x9x40 on my Weatherby MkV, 7mm Wby Magnum.  It's a dandy.

SOTN

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2005 at 14:21

The best mid range scopes are:

Burris Fullfield II

Bushnell Elite 3200

Leupold VX-II

Nikon Buckmaster

Weaver Grand Slam

The Pentax is made by Burris and you can get pretty much the same scope with the Burris name for less.  I would highly recommend the Weaver Grand Slam 4.5-14x40 for your application.

TXBoy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TXBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2005 at 20:42

Chris,

I am interested in the Pentax 4.5-14x42 Pioneer scope but can't seem to find what kind of lense coatings is has? full coated, multi-coated, etc.

How does this scope compare to the Bushnell 3200 5-15x40 and the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 sidefocus in terms of brightness at dusk and clarity?

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2005 at 00:55
Pentax Pioneer is a re-labeled Burris Fullfield II, i.e. fully multicoated.  It is better than Elite 3200 and better than a previous generation Buckmaster.  I have not seen the new Buckmaster, so I can not comment on that one.

Ilya
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2005 at 04:05

I have never looked throught the Pentax Pioneer but I own the next scope up from it in the Pentax Whitetails Unlimited and I love the scope.  It is very clear and built like a tank.  Yeah its ungly looks like a mag light sitting on top the rifle but a very good scope.

If the Pioneer is basically a Burris FullField then its going to be a good scope.  A friend of mine put a FullField on his sons rifle and I got to shoot it a few times and the scope is very good for the money.

Cant comment on the new Buckmaster, the older one was a good scope but I would still give the Fullfield the edge in clarity and brightness.  The Bushnell 3200 is a good scope but again I think the Fullfield/Pioneer would be slightly brighter.  The 4200 is AWSOME but considerbly more $$$.

I would have to agree with Chris and say out of the scopes that he recommended I'd go with the Weaver Grand Slam.  It will be a little more money then say a FullField but in my opion the optics are a step up in clarity and brightness.  I know some people don't like the power adjustment ring because it looks strange to some but that is cosmetic. I think if you hunt in areas were it snows or where you will be wearing gloves the scope ring adjustment is great.  I also like the over all shape of the scope, to me it looks fresh and new. The scope is a great buy, the optics will shock you on how clear and bright it is.   I have been totally impressed with the Grand Slams when I compared them to other scopes in the field. 

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

TXBoy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TXBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2005 at 09:14
Fully multicoated would be great. I thought I had read somewhere that it was basically a renamed Fullfield II, but then I happened to find some info on cabelas website that said it was fully coated and not fully multicoated. Anyway should be a good long range and evening scope on my 270 win.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic