OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scope for ruger #1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scope for ruger #1
    Posted: March/29/2009 at 23:36
I've just bought a Ruger No 1A in 7x57 and I'm looking for a bit of input with regard to a scope with enough eye relief to work with the Ruger ring positions.
I've put a Weaver v9 on it temporarily but the eye relief is on the short side for this rifle. I'm thinking Leupold fxii 4x33 or a Nikon 2-8 Monarch  but I'd like a few other ideas as well particularly from No 1 owners and whats working for you.

John    
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 00:55
I have a Zeiss Conquest 4X32 on my Ruger 1-S (45-70) but my second choice would be that low-mag 24mm Trijicon.
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 00:56
Oh, and welcome to Optics Talk Mate!  Howdy
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 06:18
I originally put a Conquest 4 X 32 on my #1. It was a decent set-up. Now it wears an Elite 4200 3-9 X 40. The rear ring was exchanged by Ruger to an off-set style to gain some rearward mounting advantage.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 08:01
I had a #1 in 7mm-08 for a while.  I bought offset rings for it but always hated the way that looked.  I ended up with a Leupold 6X  FX-III.  IT had about 4.5" of relief, and that was barely enough for me with the regular rings.
No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 08:27
I had to use offsets to mount a Nikon Monarch 4x12x40 on my No. 1 6mm Rem.   I'd look at scopes with longer tubes.  Like a Conquest 2.5x8x32 or 3x9x40, or maybe a Pentax Lightseeker; a lot of these have the turrets mounted forward on the tube.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 09:53

Yeah, unfortunately a lot of scope simply do not have the eye relief for No. 1's. Generally at least 4" is good and moe is better. I have used Burris FFII's, Leupolds and Zeiss Conquests and they mostly work OK, though the best was the old Leupold M8 4x28's with the long tubes. Another discontinued that oddly enough works very well is the Burris 6x24, which had extremely long eye relief or 4.5" or so.

I haven't tried my 1.25-4x24 Trijicon on a No. 1, but have my doubts that it would solve the problem. The tube is kinda short and on 4x the eye relief isn't really all  that long, around 3.7".

Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 10:48
I'd opt for a more classic looking scope on that rifle.  A Leupold VX3 in 3.5-10x40 would be my choice.  Eye relief is 4.4"-3.6" and you have the option of gloss.  IMO the huge ocular lens of scopes like the Conquest and Monarch don't look right on classic type rifles.  But that's just me.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 11:47

I have a Kahles with Warnes on my 47-70 and the set up works fine. No matter what I've done with various scopes, the ocular end will be over the breech opening.

huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 11:52
Sharp looking setup you have, Doug!  Thunbs Up
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 11:58
Thanks, Eric.
I had a 2-7 Monarch on it for a short time. I think johnfox would be good to go with the 2-8.
Of course, the 4x Leupold is a sound choice with plenty of eye relief.
BTW, welcome to O.T. johnfox.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 12:00
this may be more of a pain in the arse than its worth, but is it possible to use a "scout setup" on a #1 to avoid the breach??
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 12:11
Consider these;

1.75-6x32 VX3,,,,,,,,,,2-8x32 Monarch,,,,,,,,,2.5-8x36 VX3
johnfox View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 17:06
Thanks for the welcome and the information.

I've been lurking here for some time and I've been impressed by the quality of the exchanges of ideas and suggestions. A quality that's not so common on some other forums.

Many thanks, John  
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 18:51
Here is one with a 2x7x33 Burris fulfield works OK but will be replacing with something with 4" eye relief and an extended ring.

Edited by rifle looney - March/30/2009 at 18:52
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 19:07
4x Pentax, .458 Lott, 3.35 inches eye relief... NO problemo.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
seawolf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 01:58
My No1 rig in 270 Win is mainly used for low light and night hunting for roe and red deer, and for the time beeing I have this set up: 
Leupold rings with rear offset, Zeiss Conquest 3,5-10x50.
Also have a set of Ruger double offset rings, but they weight about the double of the Leupold and gives a more clumsy apparence.
They are wery strong thou.

The most extreme set up is the two part Burris rail and 30 mm Warne rings.
It works but, is kind of clumsy and heavy and lack a lot in the beauty department.
Good thing is that it fits the standard Weaver ring system

With the Leupold rings and the Zeiss.

With the double Ruger offset rings and Zeiss 8x56

With Burris two part rail and Warne 30mm rings and Zeiss  Victory 3-12x56
Seawolf
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic