OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

VX3 2.5-8 vs. Kahles CL 2-7

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trkyshootr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VX3 2.5-8 vs. Kahles CL 2-7
    Posted: March/29/2009 at 11:02
They look to be about the same size, and are very close in magnification.  I have been pleased with my Vari-X III and VXIII, but have not seen the new VX3s, and never owned a Kahles.

I will likely use one of these on a new Ruger No. 1-AE .30-06.  Any thoughts are appreciated.
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2009 at 11:17
I have a KAHLES 2x7 and it rocks, although I would also choose the VXIII--VX3, the KAHLES is pricey er but worth it. if you want to save some $$ the Leupolds are right there. the diff between the VX3--VXIII is not that much from what people are saying.

Edited by rifle looney - March/29/2009 at 12:03
257WM_CDL-SF View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 257WM_CDL-SF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2009 at 11:42
id get the Kahles
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2009 at 12:01
I also have a Kahles CL 2-7, and its very nice, I also own the leupolds and am very happy with those.  It all depends on how much your willing to spend?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2009 at 12:56
I have the Kahles AH. That is the generation before.  After looking though the Leupold I bought the Kahles sight unseen.  It is like a night and day differance on the lower powers.  The higher powers the Kahles has a slight edge still, but not as much.  The Kahles is sharper. 
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

danshae View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danshae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2009 at 23:27
I just wanted to say I am no leupold fan by any means.through the years I have owned many vx111's many zeiss conquest,a couple 4200's,a couple swarovski a-lines and on down the line.moral of the story I was out shooting the other day with my dad and he just bought the newest vx-3 4.5-14x50 and also brought along his big sky 4.5-14x50 and it clearly had the edge in brighttness and definition.now without having a conquest beside it i can not say it was better but I can say it is an awsome scope and 1 year ago you would never have heard those words out of my mouth!
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 08:30

Look at the Conquest 2.5x8x32 it's bright, good field of view and the price is right there with the Leupold.  I have it and a Vari-X III 2.5x8x36 and I prefer the Zeiss.

Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 10:44
+1 for the Kahles.  I own 2 of the Multizeros and really like them.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 17:08
I too have a Kahles 2-7X36 CL, and it's one of my favorite hunting scopes!  I would go with it, even though the VX-3 2.5-8X36 is also a nice scope.  The only problems with the 2-7X Kahles is it's a discontinued model, so you might have a hard time getting one, and Kahles customer service has fallen a notch or two ever since SONA stopped handling their service work.  They still back their products, but service now takes longer since their optics now have to be sent back to Austria for repairs.

Either would be a great choice, though.  The 2.5-8X36 is one of my favorite Leupold scopes, and it should be even better in the new and improved VX-3 version.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 17:56
Hey! I like this!!      Smile

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 18:03
Ed, I've called Kahles in Vienna and they don't have that optionBig Smile
BTW, I don't own the model in question, but I own several other models. I think the glass is outstanding. I have not had any problems mechanically, either. They are my finest hunting scopes.

Edited by tahqua - March/30/2009 at 18:06
trkyshootr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trkyshootr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 20:40
Thanks for the replies.  I've actually decided on a gloss VX3 2.5-8.  I think that it will well-complement the No. 1.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic