OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

rotating scope 90 degrees?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doubtful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rotating scope 90 degrees?
    Posted: March/29/2009 at 09:16
I have problem with the ejected brass pinging the windage knob on my SS 10x42 scope.  Is there any reson I can't or shouldn't just rotate the scope 90 degrees counter clockwise, thus making the windage knob into the elevation knob and visa-versa?  I actualy like having the windage on the left side of the scope so I don't have to move my trigger hand to adjust it, and the range/focus gradutations are also visible from a prone position that way. 

Thanks
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2009 at 10:07
sure, know a couple of guys that do that, but for different reasons, usually windage is easier doped with holdoff because it is continually changing.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2009 at 11:32
Should work fine.  "Should."

Does the brass pinging the turret have any serious negative effects?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2009 at 12:55
 You can sometimes make very slight alterations to the ejector and/or ejector spring to control brass direction and force, depending on the firearm... 
doubtful View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doubtful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2009 at 21:03
Thanks for the info.  The brass pinging leaves little dents and scratches on the knob, and I can't seem to get the scope to settle down (bullet groups walking across the target).  I'm hoping the problem is either the pinging and/or my cheap scope rings.  I've rotated the scope and put good rings on, as soon as it stops raining and the wind settles down a little I'll give it another try.  I've heard that tired ejector springs can lead to the pinging problem w/M14s, that was my next move if I couldn't rotate the scope.

Again, thanks for the help!

Dave Wilson View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2009 at 21:14
back in the day when i hunted quite a bit with a muzzleloader, i mounted my scope the way you describe. my reason was a little different than yours, i wanted more room to put the caps on and off the nipple of my inline. never had any problem, seemed to work just fine. just had to think a little when making changes.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2009 at 21:43
I would tend to go to a higher set of rings.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2009 at 22:05
What rifle are you referring to, doubtful?
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2009 at 22:31
 if you have an old spring in that -14 the brass will come out near vertical and be driven into the right side turret.
A new spring will put the brass out at about a 15 degree angle from horizontal.

If you have a problem, always go for the solution, not the work around.

Edited by Mike McDonald - March/29/2009 at 22:32
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 14:57
doubtful, I've had good luck with Orion 7 springs for my M1. They sell M14 parts too: http://www.m1garandrifle.com/M14parts.htm...although minimum credit card charge is $20.
doubtful View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doubtful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 18:32
JonoMT--  thanks for the lead on the parts, I'll give it a try when I get a chance.  Mike McD--  you're right about the work-around, but that means I've got to get a bolt disassembly tool as well (which I know I should own anyway)... funding is always questionable....  until then, rotating the scope is free!  Urimag--  cheek weld is already a problem, until I can get a synthetic stock and build up a cheek piece (see comment above!).

But thanks all for the help and suggestions.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 15:52
Cheek piece help:

http://www.snipercentral.com/karsten.htm

I have one on a SOCOM and it works well.  Cheek weld on any scoped M1A is a pain, these help allot.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
doubtful View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doubtful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 17:59
CoolAid--  thanks for the link.  That may be the way I go, but I'll wait until I have a synthetic stock, I couldn't bring myself to drill holes in a pretty piece of walnut!  I've also seen projects built up with bondo or something similar, some nice looking results but not adjustable. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic