OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Painting flutes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Painting flutes
    Posted: March/28/2009 at 22:02
I looked at my Wby backcountry next to an accumark yesterday, and liked the black flutes on the accumark better than my normal flutes. Anybody know what they use to blacken them, or if it would be a good idea to do this? I have a guy in mind to do it, who is  an airbrush artist, and does other kinds of applications. He was thinking "one shot" lettering enamal for pin striping would be tough, and not scratch. I just want to make sure things like this don't mess up barrel harmonics or anything, or do other unwanted harm. What do you guys think?

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2009 at 22:07
Trigger, I have done this two times and no problems Weatherby did the same thing, some people claim they can do it when they cut the flutes kind of a heat mark but i would worry about this.....  warping.  go for it  you can always remove it with lacquer thinner this will do no harm.
Heavishot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavishot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2009 at 23:24
If you want it more or less permanent and very tough, I would used Duracoat.  It's airbrushed on too.

I painted my entire SPS Varmint in it.... digital camo pattern.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2009 at 01:14
I'm wondering if an engine paint that was designed for high heat wouldnt be the best choice.  The Duracoat sounds like a good choice.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2009 at 10:59

I'd go with Duracoat >> I had a Sig 228 slide done to mimic a stainless two tone look and it's proved very durable

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2009 at 11:09
Don't about the others except the engine paint...but I chose auto motive pin striping ...ONE-SHOT... paint so in case I did not like it it could be removed easily...good old spray paint works as well!

trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2009 at 11:40
I might try it with some cheap $1 a can spray paint first, so if I don't like it, I can get it off. If I like it, I'll have the pro put the good stuff on.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2009 at 11:44
Thunbs Up
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2009 at 14:07
Trigger, here is one I did ..sorry if you cant see it well it is green on stainless!
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2009 at 14:16
Looney what gun is that?
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2009 at 14:18
Kimber ...22-250
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2009 at 14:20
Does it still have the flutes painted?
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2009 at 14:23
What I cant hear you ..this is the one I have done numerous times along with the stock! and it does now..... did it when I took the scope off for the 223 t/c

Edited by rifle looney - March/29/2009 at 14:32
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2009 at 14:27
ooo thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 17:08
Dam where did I put those crayons.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 17:22
Just raid the wifes toenail polish. Minty Passion Green.  Well it works on fishing lures.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 09:29
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

I'm wondering if an engine paint that was designed for high heat wouldnt be the best choice.  The Duracoat sounds like a good choice.

You can use engine paint just use a very thin coat on moving parts.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 17:07
The pros I've seen use Duracoat for the flutes but I'd bet any decent exterior spray can paint would suffice.  I can tell you the paint Remington uses in their flutes will come off with a Rag and Rem oil.  It's doesn't show bare steel but it will turn the rag black in spots.  I've painted some gun parts with the specialty Rustoleum cans with much success.  The ones I have leave a light texture almost like parkerizing and are extremely durable. 
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 17:28
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

Trigger, here is one I did ..sorry if you cant see it well it is green on stainless!

I don't see anything..............can you paint them a color I can see? They just look like flutes to me.Big Smile

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2009 at 07:03
TRIGGER I didn't know you played a flute. ~ !!
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic