OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Trijicon Accupoint

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muddy Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trijicon Accupoint
    Posted: March/28/2009 at 18:38
Anybody have experience with these scopes, How do they match up with other scopes like the sightron big sky? I saw they are a Michigan company, we have to stick together these days, but are they made in Michigan or the US for that matter? Any firsthand information guys?
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2009 at 21:30
The actual scopes are made by Light Optical in Japan, probably the top Japanese maker. (Light makes Bushnell Elites, as well as the parts (and optics) for Nightforce scopes that are then assembled in Idaho.) The Michigan Trijicon plant then installs the reticles in the Accupoint scopes.  (This doesn't apply to the ACOGs, which are entriely made in Michigan.)

The optical quality of the Accupoints is excellent, as is everything else about the scopes. The reticles are a combination of fiber-optic and tritium, and the brightness intensity is controlled by an easily-moved "window" on the top of the scope. The oriogina reticle was a triangle-topped post, the triangle illuminated, but now they also offer a more conventional plex-type reticle (with ranging dots) with the the center of the crosshairs illuminated.

They are great hunting scopes. I have hunted with the 1"  1.25-4x and 3-9x, and the 30mm 2.5-10x extensively and they work very well.
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2009 at 22:09

Good scope optics made in Japan good low light hunting scope.

jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2009 at 23:20
I have the TR-21R 1.25-4x24. Neat scope but a lot of edge ditortion on the lowest setting. This model can also be hard to mount on some rifles.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2009 at 00:18
I have one on order if that tells you anything.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2009 at 02:03
I have two TRIJICON scopes and they are keepers for me
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
Muddy Buck View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muddy Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2009 at 08:31
Thanks for the info guys, anybody know how big the lighted dot is on the mill-dot or standard duplex? Does it cover up a large part of the target?
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2009 at 11:24
I have one Trijicon mounted (3-9x40) and love it, and another coming soon (1-4X).  The glass is better than I expected, the illumination is great, and the build quality seems to be quite good.

The little adjustment I've made (it is on a hunting rifle, so not much adjustment at the turrets) have been spot-on.

If you are in the market for a good all-around hunting scope, this is a good choice; if you are in the market for a good low-light scope, these are among the best (with illumination and optical quality considered) at this price point.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2009 at 11:54
I don't own one...... YET!!!!!! I have looked through them more than a few times. I was, and still am impressed with these scopes.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2009 at 12:25
Originally posted by Muddy Buck Muddy Buck wrote:

Thanks for the info guys, anybody know how big the lighted dot is on the mill-dot or standard duplex? Does it cover up a large part of the target?
These scopes are designed more to acquire live targets than for paper punching. How large the illuminated dot is on the mil-dot or the #4 will be the width of the crosshair.
and that will depend on the top power of the scope.  What you give up by not using the post with illuminated triangle is the BAC  Balistic Aiming Concept where you shoot two eyes open and acquire a moving target with the illumination. The standard crosshair or the mil dot on a 5-20x50 would probably be a good target scope because the illumination is a contrasting color to the black target.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2009 at 14:01

Which is why I have three different AccuPoints, the 1.25-4x with triangle-tipped post, rthe 3-9x with the plex crosshair and dots, and a 2.5-10x with a triangle-tipped post.

The last might seem like a strange combination, but I have killed prairie dogs at over 500 yards with it--mostly as a test, because the main thing I wanted it for was a low-light whitetail scope for longer-than-woods ranges. This was easier to do than you might guess, however, because the bottom part of the post is actually two wires, separated by a little bit, and at longer ranges you can see a prairie dog between them. The crosshairs-with-dots reticle is a better choice for longer-range shooting, however.

I have used the 1.25-4x quite a bit in both North America and Africa, and it is pretty muich ideal for anything from very close-range woods hunting to 300 yards (or however far you feel confident with a 4x scope).
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muddy Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2009 at 19:03
So you can see through the triangle post, how about the dot on the duplex reticle  
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muddy Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2009 at 19:06
Sorry lost my train of thought, is the dot on a duplex see through if not how much of the target is cover say at a 100 yards
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2009 at 19:29
It's more like "see between" than "see through" if that helps. Imagine the triangle sitting atop two poles and you're looking through the gap between the poles beneath the triangle.
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 10:49
I have a 1.25-4x23 with the Red triangle post and like it on my 223.  Good eye relief and field of view . 
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 10:50
Actually it's a 1.25-4x24...
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 16:22
http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/parts_new.cfm?categoryID=5
You can not see through the illuminated area be it a triangle or chevron or dot intersection of the crosshairs it is not translucent.  The intersection of the duplex type crosshairs is illuminated on some models that illumination is the width of the crosshair on duplex and mildot and German #4 reticles.  As I tried to explain before. Scopes with  a low maximum power like a 1 to 4 power scope will have a reticle crosshair width that covers a wider area than scopes a  scope with a maximum power of 10 or 20.  Hope that makes sense look at the illustration of the reticle.
 http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=675&back_row=0&categoryID=5   Do I have the info on how wide the crosshair is - NO --- but feel free to call Trijicon and ask them: Customer Service  1.800.338.0563

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 16:26
 Cool

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - April/07/2009 at 00:40

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 16:59
I own 2 Trijicon Accupoint scopes (1.25-4X24 and 3-9X40), both with the amber BAC triangle post, and I've been extremely pleased with them!  They are better than I expected optically.  The innovative dual illuminated, battery-free reticle (the feature that really sold me on these scopes in the first place) is very fast and intuitive.  I haven't regretted buying them for a second, and I highly recommend them to anyone for most any hunting and short range tactical application.  These are some of my favorite scopes in their price bracket -- good, solid upper-mid range scopes! 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muddy Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 19:34
Thanks guys, I spent more time on thier website and I think I got it now
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic