OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

300 Weatherby Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 300 Weatherby Scope
    Posted: March/28/2009 at 11:44
I now have a Signature Select 3-12x44 on my 300 now and I can't say it is bad, but I'm thinking of putting it on my 22-250 and going with something with more eye relief. It has bumped me before and it's a good thing for the rubber on the eyepiece. It's also a turn the whole eyepiece to change power deal which I'm not really fond of and it has no rain coating on the lens. So it's between a 4-16x40 4200 (which may not be enough eye releif either) and a Big sky 3-12x42 or Big sky 4-16x42. I'm leaning toward the Sightrons to try, what do you think? I want real good optics, good eye relief, dependable durablity, good tracking and the weather coating on the lens for bad weather hunting. I tried a SII before the Big Sky and it failed quickly, but probably was just a bad one. Please advise me of your experiences. If a Sightron goes away in this thing again do they have a good reputation for standing by there product? I just sent the last one back to the store where I bought it and got a Leupold so I never had to deal with customer service. I do have 3 3-9x40 4200 scopes and think they are great, I just need a little more power for our spike only elk seasons here in Oregon than a 3-9 delivers.

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2009 at 11:50
I like Leupold for heavy recoiling guns, never had a problem with them as far as durability and eye relief.  The new vx-3 compares really well with the sightron and bushnell scopes optically.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2009 at 12:05
.....and Leupold has got the screw-on lens Rainguard thinger.....  Yep, Thought So
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Sandracer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2009 at 13:26
Leupolds have been good to me for many years, maybe a 3.5-10 would be enough to see the spike horns, I tried a 4-12 vx-II and didn't like the lower field of view at 4 power. I also hunt the brush alot, but want to see across the canyon too! Tried a 4.5-14x40 VX-III and it had the same problem. That's why I thought the 3-12 was perfect! Maybe just a good pair of binoculars and the 3.5-10. I wouldn't mind a VXIII at the discount price, just wanted to make sure the new model wasn't so much better that I should get it. Do you guys think the VX-3 is worth the extra!
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2009 at 13:48
I've never had anything go wrong with a Sightron.  I did, however, send one in to see about getting the reticle changed.  They sent me a brand new scope, no questions asked in about two weeks.

I think this scope with 3x on the low end and 12x on the high end could suit you well.

SIIB31242 New Sightron 3-12x42 SII Big Sky Riflescope                                                                             New Sightron 3-12x42 SII Big Sky Riflescope
  • $50.00 Mail in Rebate (expires 12/31/2009)
  • Matte
  • Plex
  • 1"
SWFA: $514.95
More Info... Buy Now

SIIB31242AO New Sightron 3-12x42 SII Big Sky Riflescope                                                                             New Sightron 3-12x42 SII Big Sky Riflescope
  • $50.00 Mail in Rebate (expires 12/31/2009)
  • Matte
  • Plex
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Target Knobs
SWFA: $559.95
More Info... Buy Now
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2009 at 14:13
I have the S2 BS 3-12x42 on a 300 Wby Mag.Crystal clear & bright.If you ever have a problem with the scope they well replace it.I had a scope in two days a 3-9x42 S2.No questions asked.The scope was a little blurry on the edges at 9 power,used it for 7 years and I got a new scope from them.   
Sandracer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2009 at 14:35
Originally posted by hunter12345 hunter12345 wrote:

I have the S2 BS 3-12x42 on a 300 Wby Mag.Crystal clear & bright.If you ever have a problem with the scope they well replace it.I had a scope in two days a 3-9x42 S2.No questions asked.The scope was a little blurry on the edges at 9 power,used it for 7 years and I got a new scope from them.   

You guys are talking me into a Big Sky! How does the rain coating work on them ? Do you think I'd need the adjustable objective on the 3-12? My SS is not clear at 100 yds on 12 power, how is your BSky?
j.chappell View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j.chappell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2009 at 15:52
Originally posted by Sandracer Sandracer wrote:

You guys are talking me into a Big Sky! How does the rain coating work on them ? Do you think I'd need the adjustable objective on the 3-12? My SS is not clear at 100 yds on 12 power, how is your BSky?

Not trying to be rude here but it should be crystal clear at 100 yards. You may need to adjust your focus. I'm not trying to imply that you do not know about focusing your own scope but there is not a reason on earth that your scope should be fuzzy at 100 yards unless your ocular is out of focus.

J.
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2009 at 16:15
Sandracer, have you ever hunted out of the John Day - Prairie City area?

Edited by rifle looney - March/28/2009 at 16:16
Sandracer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2009 at 17:13
Originally posted by j.chappell j.chappell wrote:

Originally posted by Sandracer Sandracer wrote:

Not trying to be rude here but it should be crystal clear at 100 yards. You may need to adjust your focus. I'm not trying to imply that you do not know about focusing your own scope but there is not a reason on earth that your scope should be fuzzy at 100 yards unless your ocular is out of focus.

J.

That's my point, it has to be refocused at the ocular and still is not clear at 100 or closer. The leupold 4-12 VX-II was clear through all ranges, not the Burris. Out there at longer ranges it clears up. Maybe the SS is for great for some but it isn't my favorite, way too long and heavy and I swear it is not any better to my eyes than the VX-II if as good.
Sandracer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2009 at 17:17
Rifle Looney,  I lived in Mount Vernon as a kid but never hunted over there. Most of my hunts are in Wallowa County, much different area than over there! I live in Elgin at this point.
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2009 at 17:20
Wallowa even better though I really like the John day area thanks.
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 08:38
You might look at the Nikon Monarch 3x12x42.  It has a large FOV.  I believe the ER would be good enough too.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic