OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon monarch vs leupold cascade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rh44mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon monarch vs leupold cascade
    Posted: March/27/2009 at 23:09
I am planning an elk hunt this fall and I am looking for a new pair of binos.  Price is a factor with having may other expenses on this trip.  I have narrowed it down to these 2, by recommendation of friends.  Who has used either or both of these and what are your thoughts?
  Thanks and God Bless
Be the change you want to see in the world
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2009 at 08:45
Which magnification and aperture are you interested in?
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2009 at 08:50

It depends on which Cascades model your friends are talking about, roof or porro prism. Nikon Monarchs only come in roof-prism models. They are VERY good for the price, and pretty tough as well. The Cascades come in either roof or porro prism models, and they are also VERY good optically for the price.

Despite all the advances made in roof prism binoculars in frecent years, in less expensive designs porro prism binoculars still have a slight edge on optics over roof prism models. The Cascades porro prism models are slightly better opticaly than either the Monarch or Cascades roof prism models. They are also of the "new generation" porro prism binoculars that are waterproof, and also have a longer "piano" type hinge, making them stronger than older porro prism binoculars--though probably not quite as strong as typical roof-prism binoculars. The roof-prism models are also a little more compact.

I own and use examples of all three, Monarchs and both roof- and porro-prism Cascades. You can't go wrong with any of them, and the weights are very similar. The prices vary a little, and that might well be the determining factor.

rh44mag View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rh44mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2009 at 10:54
I am looking at the 8x42 or 10x42  -  roof prism on the cascade
Be the change you want to see in the world
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2009 at 11:05
Elk hunting doesn't require quite the magnification of some other hunting, and the 8x42's would be plenty. That's also a good all-around glass for most hunting. The Cascades 8x42 are $40 less than the Nikon 8x42 from SWFA.

Since you have some time, you might want to go to a sporting goods store that carries both and see how they agree with your eyes. I like the view through both binoculars but there might be a noticeable difference for you.

DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2009 at 19:19
I compared some a long time ago in the store and I liked the Nikon better in every way except the optics, optically I thought they were pretty close but the Leupold seemed to show a little better detail resoloution and the colors were more natural to me. I also couldnt get the Nikon to focus to my eyes as well as the Leupolds... but everyone is different and believe it or not every bino even same make/model is a little better or worse than the next. I think you can get the Leupold Olympic for the same price as the Monarch and I believe it is optically better and physically and weight wise the same and the customer service will be better.
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2009 at 19:31
Yep, some binoculars are made on Mondays.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic