OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Chris and others: $100 riflescope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote czech1022 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chris and others: $100 riflescope?
    Posted: May/01/2005 at 00:51

Ok, guys, this is a tough one. I'll be hunting deer and elk in Idaho - my first time ever - this coming October, and I'm on an exceptionally limited budget. I just spent $700 for a license and non-resident tags, and with all of the other expenses I'm facing, there's only $100 for a scope for my 30-06.

So out of the cheap stuff, what do you recommend? I saw t-bone's rating scale, but there were no specific recommendations for a scope at or under $100. I won't buy BSA or Tasco, but I'll listen to any other opinion you care to post.

And PLEASE don't say, "Save up another hundred and get an XXXXX brand scope." Every cent I've got is accounted for on this trip, and it will be a long time before there's another one.

So give it to me straight, especially if you've actually owned and used one of the economy grade scopes. And this is a special request for Chris - I've seen and benefitted from your postings many times - what would you recommend from a seller's point of view (least returns, fewest complaints, etc.)?

Thanks in advance for your time. This is the adventure of my life, and there just isn't another dollar to spare.

greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2005 at 07:53
Try a Mueller - pretty nice scopes for around that cost.  If not, search Ebay for a used scope.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2005 at 10:08

Friend, you picked a lousy corner to cut on your big game hunt. By that of course I mean your optics.

(No offense intended.)

Things have a tendency to go south when hunting in rugged terrain, like elk country. 

Please reconsider your position, for the sake of your hunt, and moreover the animal.    

As Grey stated, try to at least pick up a decent used scope on Ebay or borrow a reliable scope from a friend. You have plenty of time to accomplish this.

A $100 scope isn't worth the cost on a paid hunt, believe me.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
jdr22 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdr22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2005 at 10:50
Simmons AETEC new for $129 or pick up a good used on om eBay for under $100
livetohunt View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote livetohunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2005 at 11:47

Simmons WHITETAIL CLASSIC 6x20x50 for 99.00 on this site.Call and ask

Chris about it.Thats at closeout price

poncaguy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poncaguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2005 at 14:43
Take a look at Bushnell Banners, less than an $100 and very clear. Use one on my Encore 7mm-08 with good results........
whtsmoke View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whtsmoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2005 at 19:19
I think that I would start saving for a better scope or maybe get the plastic out for this one, you dont want to get out there and find your one big shot of your life walk by because your scope wasnt right. you can find a good scopr=e for a little more than that, look at the bushnell legend or the buckmaster . I think you need to give Chris a call and see what he can do for you on a sightron.
zaj56 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zaj56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2005 at 19:56
  I bought (and highly reccomend) a Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 for my Omega inline for under 100 bucks. This scope is clear, light(13oz.), good looking, and rugged enough to handle my 50 cal. smokepole!    Great scope for the price!
STWSniper View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STWSniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2005 at 00:46
Look at Bushnell Trophy or maybe a Nikon Buckmaster. Like cheaptrick said a scope is not something a person wants to cut corners on. Sounds like you have a very important hunt coming up and I would hate to see a crappy scope get in the way of a once in a lifetime shot. It may be worth it to go in debt a little more and pick yourself up a better scope for your rifle. We only live once!
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2005 at 10:10

Simmons Aetec or Bushnell Elite 3200.

I have about 200+ items to put on the SampeList.com site and will try to get them done this week.  I would watch the list closely.

chuckkilla View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2005 at 10:38
In your case the least expensive scope I would recomend would be a nikon prostaff. Have one on my 270 and have had no problems with it. It is sharp and clear on all powers. It tracks well and I can shoot sub MOA groups with it consistently. About 150 for the 3-9 new or less if you can find one on ebay or used. The 2-7 scopes go for less and might do what you need. 

Edited by chuckkilla
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2005 at 12:15

Sightron S1 3-9x40 and Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 can both be had for around $100.  I have both. Sightron is a bit better, but Trophy will work fine as well.

Ilya

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic