OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help pick out my new rings, please.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help pick out my new rings, please.
    Posted: March/26/2009 at 12:16
I just received an email from SWFA noting they are going to give me my asking price on a scope trade.  Awesome!

On to the mounting system.  As I don't have an endless supply of cash, here are the frontrunners.  Keep in mind that I don't care about aesthetics, only rigidity and integrity of the mount-to-receiver connection.

300004 Talley Fixed 30mm Rings                                                                                                 Talley Fixed 30mm Rings
  • Matte
  • Medium
  • 30mm
SWFA: $69.95
More Info... Buy Now

730714 Talley Lightweight Aluminum 30mm Scopemount                                                                             Talley Lightweight Aluminum 30mm Scopemount
  • Knight MK 85
  • Tikka
  • Matte
  • Low
  • 30mm
SWFA: $44.95
More Info... Buy Now

420162 Burris Xtreme Tactical 30mm Rings                                                                                       Burris Xtreme Tactical 30mm Rings
  • Matte
  • Medium (1/2")
  • For Xtreme Tactical Rifle Scopes
SWFA: $54.95
More Info... Buy Now

Even though the Talley fixed rings will fit the grooved receiver of a Tikka (Burris too?), would I be better off using the two-piece bases for them as well?

Thanks,
Huff

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2009 at 14:23
My Tikka's all wear the 1-piece (base and ring integrated #730714.)  There is no harm in using the rings made for the receiver groove, I just prefer  the others.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Al Nyhus View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Nyhus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2009 at 19:41
   Ditto on the Talley lightweights.   Strong, light, simple.
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2009 at 19:47

Based on what I've read in other posts I was kind of leaning that way.  It's nice to be able to get quality stuff without breakin' the bank for a change.

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2009 at 19:57
What are you putting this set up on?
I have several of the Talley rings, both fixed and QD, on rifles. They are excellent.
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2009 at 20:00
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

My Tikka's all wear the 1-piece (base and ring integrated #730714.)  There is no harm in using the rings made for the receiver groove, I just prefer  the others.

+1  That's what's on my Tikka.
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2009 at 20:03
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

What are you putting this set up on?
I have several of the Talley rings, both fixed and QD, on rifles. They are excellent.

I'm going to put a 10x42 Super Sniper on a Tikka T3 in .270WSM.

**Say, on a side note, is it a good idea to find the center of the adjustment range for both windage and elevation prior to mounting it on the rifle.  I did it the last time I put a scope on, and it lined up perfectly with the boresighter.  Maybe it doesn't even matter?**
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2009 at 20:26

Hey RC (or anyone), will the "low" rings provide enough space with a 42mm objective and a standard contour barrel?

John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2009 at 20:40
The low Talley Lightweights are pretty much good to go with scopes up to a 44mm objective. With a sporter contour barrel they should work perfectly.
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2009 at 20:44
Originally posted by John Barsness John Barsness wrote:

The low Talley Lightweights are pretty much good to go with scopes up to a 44mm objective. With a sporter contour barrel they should work perfectly.

John,

Do you know if there will still be enough room for a pair of Butler Creek's on there?
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2009 at 21:41
I don't, but would guess there would be. You might contact Talley and ask. They are good about providing info, and have seen about every combination.
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2009 at 22:23

I'm sure that's true.....especially when dealing with SS's!

Thanks to you all for the help.  I'll be placing an order for a new 10x42 and Talley rings on Monday!
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2009 at 02:06
I use both Talley Lightweight and DedNuz on my Tikka T3 Lites. Those pictured are both "low" mounts. I actually wish the Talleys were a tad lower. They give my the 3-9x40 Team Primos a good 1/8" or more of clearance. The DedNutz is a we bit lower. I have the Burris Xtremes on my Tikka Super Varmint. All work well.

Edited by sholling - March/27/2009 at 02:09
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2009 at 05:35
Very nice Steve, what calibers are those rifles?

Doug
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2009 at 06:27
In the future, I'd look at the Warne QR rings and bases.  Have them on all but one of my rifles.  That last one will change this spring.
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2009 at 10:09
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

Very nice Steve, what calibers are those rifles?

Doug

30-06 with a Team Primos 3-9x40
300WM with a Burris Signature Select 3-10x40

Not shown is my Super Varmint in .223 with an Elite 4200 in 6-24x50.

Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2009 at 10:18

Steve, nice rigs!  If those are the low-mount Talleys with a 40mm objective, I'm thinking that a 42mm obj plus Butler Creek flip-ups might require the medium rings....it'll be close. 

I suppose there is always the option of a Karsten comb extension, or a rolled-up mouse pad to line things up.

sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2009 at 11:00
That photo doesn't do a good job of showing just how much clearance there is. The objective bell of the Nikon sits just above even with the top of the receiver but due to the taper in the barrel there is a ton of clearance. I can't get a caliber in there to measure but I'm eyeballing it at closer to 5/32" of clearance due to the tapered barrel. Of course I'm assuming that you have a T3 Lite and not a T3 Varmint or Tactical, and the profile of your scope may differ but assuming you have a Lite I'd be tempted to try low rings and exchange them if they aren't high enough. If you have a tactical or Varmint then you'll probably need mediums.

Karsten makes good stuff but I'd go as low as I could get away with with the rings first. 

For illustration purposes here is my Super Varmint with with a 4200 6-24x50 and you can see how high I had to set the cheek rest.

huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2009 at 21:40
That makes one slick looking varmint rig.  What caliber is it in, and how does she shoot?

Yes, I do have a T3 Lite.  I'll give the low rings a try first.  Thanks much.
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2009 at 09:11
Anyone know what the torque specs are for the Talley Lightweights, both to the receiver and the top half?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic