OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

rapid z 600 reticle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 257WM_CDL-SF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rapid z 600 reticle
    Posted: March/25/2009 at 21:32
does anyone have one  or used?and if so how did it work.
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2009 at 22:22

I don't but Trigger really digs those reticles.  TRIGGER, WHERE ARE YOU???Peeker

trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2009 at 23:23

I'm actually running the Z800, but the concept is the same. The only trouble I see is with a 3-9x and a Z600, if used on a 257 wby, you won't be able to dial the magnification to make all the marks on at neat 100 yard increments. Not to say you can't use it, but you marks may be at like 318,428,534,646, instead of 300, 400, 500, 600. As long as you know where the marks will hit, and practice a bit, you should have no trouble.

Actually I came up with 291,413,537,652 with a 100 yd zero. This was at sea level, and 59 degrees.

Edited by trigger29 - March/25/2009 at 23:25

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
257WM_CDL-SF View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 257WM_CDL-SF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2009 at 13:58
would you recommend the rapidz 600  pr the plex
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2009 at 15:48
I'll take the z 600 any day. I like the extra marks for a reference for the longer shots. I guess it depends on how far you will need to shoot, but I like the ranging feature on the Rapid-Z also. I haven't really used it for hunting, but practice with it just in case.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2009 at 20:13
I recently thoroughly tested a 6.5-20x Conquest with the 600 and was very pleased with the results. The on-line program for predicting trajectory was very close, even at over 400 feet in a Montana winer, and the numbers on the reticle make it very easy to use.

It doesn't matter if the trajectory of your load doesn't match up precisely at 100-yard intervals. In fact I have rarely used any multi-point reticle that way. If you actually test them at longer ranges the supposed match-up doesn't usually work exactly--but if you shoot them, with your rifle and load, accurate shooting can be done at surprisingly long ranges.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2009 at 23:05
I have the Conquest 3-9X40 z-600 and love it so far. It has only made 2 trips to the range mounted on a 300 win mag. Using the on line calculator it was very close out to 300 yds. This was as long a range that access was available. This is one of the better BCD formats that I have used. This system can be used on a wider variety of cartridges.  By setting your longest distance first. There is overall less discrepancy at all ranges. This is the preparation used on all of the BCD scopes by me. The on line ballistics calculator matched very close to the factory Winchester shells shot on the Barrel break in sessions so far.
You should be pleased with this scope.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
257WM_CDL-SF View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 257WM_CDL-SF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2009 at 23:35
How would it  do in low light deer hunting ?
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2009 at 00:14
The reticle was designed with hunting in mind. This reticle is not the first choice for things like longer range praire dogs, because it is thick enough for hunting in low light situations. The shot on the deer that I told you about in a pm was taken when it was very dark. Deer couldn't be seen with the naked eye, I only saw her through the scope. I was able to find the appropriate yardage wire, and make the shot.

donlipa View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donlipa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2009 at 00:15
Not so good.  If you want a deer hunting reticle look at the z-plex, #4, Trukey-plex etc
I'm just another internet blowhard with too much time on my hands for the past couple weeks so take my comments with a grain of salt
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2009 at 09:26
keep in mind the cone of fire of projectiles, so if your picking a cone of 4" even though the reticle according to the program may be 391 the horizontal impact zone will be close to 385 and 401 and vertical up and down 8" which is more than the error of the reticle. swaros ballistic program illustrates this. A really good double check is to run JBM against this with different cones of fire to extrapolate your shots. 800 yds 8x11 steel targets are easily and rountinely punched with the Z800 stock R5 308 out to 800 yds without covering the target with the cross hair at any interval, and the ballistic profile comes up on almost even yardages with the markings at 12.5. to their credit zeiss did a really nice job of breaking down the magnification intervals on the power dial to adjust for finer magnifications on the new conquests, which aren't on the older conquests. Be aware however that this is an evil conspiracy on this scope makers part to use 1" tubes instead of changing over to 30 mm with more internal adjustment.
skilly1979 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skilly1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 22:30
Fro
CROWSNIPER View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CROWSNIPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 07:32
Is this reticle prefered over the leupold varmint hunter?
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 09:15
no, although they apply the same principle, there is a lot of difference, the zeiss reticle subtends more of the target and is more like the boone and crocket in use. the leo var. is thin and a modified german #4 and against a dark backround is harder to pick up. also the zeiss is alot more going on in the reticle.
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 17:09
Originally posted by CROWSNIPER CROWSNIPER wrote:

Is this reticle prefered over the leupold varmint hunter?
I somewhat disagree with Dale. If I was using the scope for big game hunting, I say yes, as I find the Rapid Z to be much easier to see in low light.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic