OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

20 moa for M14 ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 20 moa for M14 ?
    Posted: March/24/2009 at 16:45

I have a Sadlak airborne base for my M14. I should have 37 MOA of elevation left, from a 100 yard zero. Question. How can I get 20 MOA more of elevation?  If not, is there a 20 MOA base available or should I buy a different scope?

Thanks Scott
Untutored courage is useless in the face of educated bullets. Quote George S Patton
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2009 at 20:32
420521 Burris Signature Zee 1 Rings                                                                                            Burris Signature Zee 1 Rings
  • Matte
  • Medium
SWFA: $36.95
More Info... Buy Now
626018 Burris Signature Pos-Align Offset Insert                                                                                Burris Signature Pos-Align Offset Insert
SWFA: $6.95
More Info... Buy Now
626019 Burris Signature Pos-Align Offset Insert Kit                                                                            Burris Signature Pos-Align Offset Insert Kit
  • Installation Kit (1")
  • 1 ea. +.005, -.005
  • 1 ea. +.010, -.010
  • 1 ea. +.020, -.020
SWFA: $12.95
More Info... Buy Now
If its as 1 inch tube this will do it not sure if they make plus moa inserts for the 30mm but they do make the 30mm in Signature Burris rings.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2009 at 20:34
24925 Badger Ordnance AR Riser Rail                                                                                           Badger Ordnance AR Riser Rail
  • Flat Top Style
  • 22 MOA
SWFA: $94.95
More Info... Buy Now
There is but adding height is not your friend with this rifle even with a karsten cheek piece.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2009 at 20:36

Option #3  these have about 120moa

SS10X42 SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope                                                                                       SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
SWFA: $319.95
More Info... Buy Now

SS10X42M SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope                                                                                       SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
SWFA: $419.95
More Info... Buy Now

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Sandhillbilly View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2009 at 23:34

I have a 30 mm scope. I will check with Burris on the inserts. I want to keep my scope as low as possible. In the past I have shimmed with strips cut from a pop can but now I have 2 nickels to rub together. So I will go with the inserts or buy a new scope. Thank you Urimaginaryfrnd for your replies.   Scott

Untutored courage is useless in the face of educated bullets. Quote George S Patton
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2009 at 18:07
The Sadlak can be set to the rear, which rides it up on the stripper clip guide mount and gives up to 28 moa advantage.
I have mine mounted that way.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2009 at 18:21
Originally posted by Mike McDonald Mike McDonald wrote:

The Sadlak can be set to the rear, which rides it up on the stripper clip guide mount and gives up to 28 moa advantage.
I have mine mounted that way.
Close up photo would be appreciated...

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2009 at 08:37
Kickboxer.  Did you have a hard time adjusting it to get desired MOA? At 20 MOA I can still zero at 100 yards. Anything more then that I am in trouble. If I took a big piece of cardboard and my tools to the range I am sure I could get it adjusted. Might have to take the scope off and losen the mount a number of times. Any advice to simplify this would be very useful. Thanks  Scott
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2009 at 08:41
Sorry Kickboxer, I ment Mike McDonald
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2009 at 18:17
This might be har to follow if you don't already have the mount on the rifle as I'm not that great at text explainations. I'll assume you don't have anything mounted yet and go from there.

The Sadlak mount has a doevtail piece that replaces the stripper clip guide.  It is drifted into position and secured via 2 set screws.  Later on to a certain degree, mount windage can be adjusted by drifting this piece right or left.
Once the dovetial is in place, the mount body is looselysecured to the rifle left side via the mounting bolt and cam.  With the front bearing screw and it's retaining screw backed out( up-right respectively) use the cam to bring the mount fully to the rear of it's travel.  You'll see, as viewed from the left side of the rifle, looking at the dovetail, that the mount will slide up the striper clip guide block until it touches the newly installed dovetail piece.   At this time, install, but do not tighten, the center bolt which secures the mount main body to the dovetail piece. 
Tighten the mount left side bolt per instructions furnished by Sadlak. .  Follow the adjustment procedure for the front bearing screw and retainer.  At this time the mount has between 20 and 28 moa incline adjusted into it.  The exact amount varies rifle to rifle, as the least closely held tolerence on an M1A is the stripper clig guide body face angle.

Worked for me.
Good luck.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2009 at 13:14
Thanks Mike. You are correct, I have not installed the Sadlak mount yet. This project Won't be done for several weeks. I will follow your instructions and post my results at a later date.
Thanks for this great info.   Scott
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic