OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Weaver Classic Extreme

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weaver Classic Extreme
    Posted: March/24/2009 at 16:01
The past two months I've been getting emails from friends on a closeout deal on the Weaver Classic Extreme.I finally gave in and bought two scopes.These scopes were listed with a msrp of over $900.And see them selling for around $550.Is there anyone else who bought these scopes.Any news on the reliability of the scopes they seem as clear as my Bushnell 4200.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 16:07
No first hand information, but a few of our members have purchase them and were extremely happy with them.  Hopefully a few of these guys will chime in for you.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 17:07
Both scopes cost me $600 and so far I think they're as bright as the 4200.There made in Japan and look like really nice optics.I guess the guy was right that it was cheaper and brighter then his VXIII 2-10x50 ILL ret.Just want to know how they hold up since I haven't used them to hunt with.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2009 at 13:10
I bought one, I would put the clarity and brightness right there with my Kahles 3-10x50
now, I got the 56mm Weaver for max brightness as it will be used primarily for night hog hunting...
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2009 at 13:46
My buddy just got one in today at the closeout prices and it seems really nice to me. The power ring is extremely smooth and the optics seem clear. The illuminated reticle does not seem too bright on the lowest setting. I am real interested to see it's low light capabilities first hand !! May wish I had bought one before it's over with !!
His also has the #4 reticule which is a 2nd FP and seems very nice and non-obtrusive on 10x like some #4 1st fp reticules I have seen !!
Kanju View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kanju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2009 at 02:51
I bought the 2.5-10x50 and am quite pleased with it.  Clarity and brightness are very nice and the side focus is also quite nice...  The illuminated reticle is doesn't show up in bright daylight but is great if shooting into the shade or cluster of bushes.  Haven't used at night yet.  Like it so well I ordered one of the 1.5-4.5x24's.  Will post anything interesting I find out on it after it arrives.

They seem to be pretty much over-built as to durability, though, if you notice the weight on them is a few oz. higher than similar scopes in the upper price ranges.

cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2009 at 09:06
Just helped my buddy mount his Weaver on his .243 ! It has pop up/resettable turrets just like my Bushnell 6500........I thought that was pretty cool ! Seems to be a heck of a scope for the money right now !!
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2009 at 14:29
Which scope was better, brighter, clearer, the Weaver or the Bushnell?
dougedwards View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougedwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2009 at 14:56
I have just put my Kahles CL 3-9x42 Multizero scope on ebay so that I could purchase another Weaver CE.  The only downside to the Weaver is that it is rather heavy but seems to be well built.  Even in dim light I could tell no appreciable difference in clarity between the Kahles and the Weaver.  I also have a Bushnell 6500 and I feel that the Weaver has slightly better optics not to mention an illuminated dot reticle and a constant 4" eye relief.

Doug
but you brethren are not of the flesh but of the spirit if indeed the spirit of Christ dwells within you...Romans 8
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2009 at 15:31
                        Shocked
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2009 at 15:55
You are selling your Kahles so you can buy a weaver. Stare 
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2009 at 16:55
Originally posted by swtucker swtucker wrote:

Whistling  certainly an interesting comment.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - March/27/2009 at 17:02

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2009 at 17:21
If the two Weaver CE were to be placed anywhere on the scale it would be in the same class as the 4200.It's only a few days playing with both scopes and do find them brighter and clearer than my Nikon Monarch & all my Leupold VXII-VXIII scopes.I no longer own a Kahles but would say that these scopes are as clear.The side focus is a nice feature. 
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougedwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2009 at 21:02
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Originally posted by swtucker swtucker wrote:

Whistling  certainly an interesting comment.

That's right.  The bidding on ebay is already near $500 with two days to go.   The Weaver cost $299 so maybe I should buy two of them.  

After reading so much about the optical clarity of Kahles scopes especially in dim light I decided to purchase one.  The Multi-Zero feature got my attention and I thought it would be very useful.  Turns out that I didn't really use it that much because I couldn't keep up with the little tool needed to set the reticle.  And after comparing the Kahles in dim light to the Weaver I just knew I had to have another WCE. 

Maybe it is just my 54 year old eyes but I just can't see a big difference between the two optically in dim or bright light.   I actually suspect that many of us buy into a notion that something is valuable just because others who might be considered experts say that it should be.  Certainly the value of the Kahles has diminished somewhat because of the uncertainty of accessible warranty repair but that would have no bearing on the quality of the scope.  Not perceiving noticeable difference in optical quality I decided that wider range of magnification, four (4) inches of eye relief, and an illuminated reticle made the WCE a better choice for it's intended purpose which is low light hunting.  It's only downside is that it is noticeably heavier which I will live with.

Don't be surprised because someone is selling a Kahles to buy a Weaver.  Test them yourself.  Perhaps your eyes will perceive differently.  But I can say this.........if the Weaver hadn't been for sale at such a reduced cost I would have never given them a chance.  As it was I decided to purchase one just to look at and thought I would be sending it back.  I was shocked at the optical quality of the scope and just wish I had another Kahles to sell.

Doug
but you brethren are not of the flesh but of the spirit if indeed the spirit of Christ dwells within you...Romans 8
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2009 at 21:07
Well then !  OOOOOOK.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2009 at 23:15
257 would sell his BlackDiamond to buy a Tasco Pronghorn because it gives him a reason?
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougedwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2009 at 23:22
Big Smile Big Smile Big Smile Wink
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2009 at 23:44
I was just looking through my 2-10x56 CE and find it easily as good as the Docter 3-12x56.The illuminated dot helps with aquiring the target.It has my vote for a best buy of the year.
greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2009 at 19:48
I just bought a Weaver CE 2.5-10x56 with #4 illuminated.  $289 for a scope that had a retail price of $989

I didn't have much time to look through it as I was rushing to work, but what little I saw was quite impressive.

I was going to get a Kahles Multi-zero for a special application rifle, but now I think I will simply have a small laminated card for the number of clicks I need to dial down for my special application and get another WCE - this time a 1.5-4.5x24 model.

Dshusker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dshusker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2009 at 07:49
The price certainly is tempting. Have had good success over the years with a Grand Slam on a 30-06. I read the Classic Extremes were made in Japan by Meade. Not sure when they stopped making them? Appears they may be dumping them in the market below cost. Could be a great buy?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic