OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sightron 36x VS Weaver 35X

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skeetlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sightron 36x VS Weaver 35X
    Posted: March/24/2009 at 13:43
Out of these two scope what would be the better choice for 600 yard bench rest shooting?  Lee
skeetlee View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skeetlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 13:48
I am sorry, the weaver scope is also a 36 power not 35. These 2 scopes are about 100 bucks difference in price the weaver being the cheaper scope. how do these two scopes stack up against each other? Is the Sightron worth the extra cash? Thanks Lee
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 15:30
Many of the bench rest shooters are using the Sightron.I asked one of the benchrest shooters why he liked the Sightron and he said that there warranty is easy no fuss if anything goes wrong they send you a new scope and the tracking and optics were better.He had a issue with the Weaver with tracking after a year of use and a bad experience with the company,now he's happy with the Sightron.
Al Nyhus View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Nyhus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 20:25
   Sightron has recently reintroduced their original SII series 36X scopes. The SII's were discontinued when Sightron went to the Big Sky series 36's. Shooters kept asking for the the SII series 36X scope to be brought back...and Sightron responded by doing just that.  The SII's are generally around $100 less than the Big Sky series and priced very close to the Weaver T36's.

Both the Sightron (either series) and the Weaver are fine scopes.  

Hope this helps.   -Al
skilly1979 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skilly1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 22:32
i ued a new big sky 36x and the glass is definately worth the money
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 11:24
Here's a link to a good benchrest scope comparison.  IMO the Sightron is a little better glass.  I've looked through some T36's that were pretty dim.  But the tracking on the Weaver is a very precise unique design.  T36's still top about 1/4 of the rifles at my club match. 

Al Nyhus View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Nyhus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 17:58
     Weaver and Sightron basically use the same idea for tracking....just in reverse of each other.

The T-series Weaver tracking stystem uses carbide balls on the w/e adjusters plungers that bear against the erector tube. This gives a constant surface contact area as the w/e adjustments are made. Sightrons ExactTrack system uses flat ended w/e adjusters that bear against a carbide ring surrounding the erector tube for a constant contact area.

The Weaver optics run from okay to very good....luck of the draw, it seems. The SII Sightrons optics are more consistent from scope to scope and are as good as, if not better than the best you'll find in a Weaver. The Big Sky series 36's do use a bit 'better' optics....but in back-to-back testing with my SII series Sightrons I'll be darned if I could tell any difference. Testing was on a sunny day...overcast could be another matter.

Both scopes have locking rings on the A.O.'s....except for the early T36's. I believe the Sightron loads the objective lens a bit more than the Weavers do.

FWIW.    -Al
Shenko View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 18:39
Hey, Al,
What does 'Sightron loads the objective lens a bit more than the Weavers do' mean?  I have never heard the term before.

Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 18:39
Thanks Al.  I didn't know Sightron used the same tracking principle.  I'd be curious how you rate the SII to the older 1" Leupold 36x.  Still plenty of those around for sale.
skilly1979 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skilly1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 20:27
the sll i think would be better glass still.
Al Nyhus View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Nyhus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 20:33
Originally posted by Shenko Shenko wrote:

Hey, Al,
What does 'Sightron loads the objective lens a bit more than the Weavers do' mean?  I have never heard the term before.

When I adjust the parallax on my Sightrons, it doesn't change when I tighten up the lock ring. On some Weavers, when I'd tighten the lock ring down...the parallax would change...so I'd have to 'lead' it a bit to get the parallax where I wanted it. The a.o. assy. seems to be under more tension in the Sightron...probably why the parallax doesn't wander when you snug the lock ring down.

For what it's worth..........-Al

Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 20:40
Al
Any comparison of the Sightron to the Leupold 1" 36x?
Al Nyhus View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Nyhus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2009 at 20:51
Originally posted by Horsemany Horsemany wrote:

I'd be curious how you rate the SII to the older 1" Leupold 36x.  Still plenty of those around for sale.

Those older 36X Leupolds are great scopes. I really like the BR'D' series with the locking objective assy. The real early ones didn't have the MultiCoat lens coatings and the optics can be a bit hazy.....and they only used a single leaf-type spring to tension the w/e adjusters. As such, it's pretty common to have to send a round or two downrange for the p.o.i to stabilize after you've made a w/e adjustment.....some guys tap on the tube with something to accomplish the same thing. Later versions (still pre-'D' series, though) went to double leaf springs and a bit thicker wall thickness for the main tube to help alleviate these issues. The w/e adjustments are 1/4" on all models. The 1/8" w/e adjustments were introduced with the Competition Series 35,40 and 45 power scopes with the side focus and 30mm tube.

Lots of guys have Cecil Tucker refit these with his angled coil spring assy. and erector tube stabilization mods....they're just about bullet proof, then.

These scopes have been winning and will keep on winning for a long, long time to come. I've got one that's proven to be very dependable...even though I've got Sightrons on my three BR rigs at this point in time.

Just my opinion....  Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic