OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

vortex is tough??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: vortex is tough??
    Posted: March/23/2009 at 12:54
testing done of the vortex viper and diamond back two parts to this one so you will need to click on part 2 to watch the rest. intresting tests.

Edited by pyro6999 - March/23/2009 at 12:55
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2009 at 15:13
Big Grin   Good.  
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2009 at 15:15
i was impressed with the 3x9 diamond back i test drove last summer, for the money i thought it was a pretty good scope. i may have to buy a viper line scope some time.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2009 at 15:49
I've been very impressed with Vortex in general.  They are putting out some impressive products for the money. 

You should see their new Razor Spotting scope!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2009 at 15:52
im sure its good, if the razor binos are any indication of their products quality im sure the spotter is also excellent!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2009 at 16:54
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I've been very impressed with Vortex in general.  They are putting out some impressive products for the money. 

You should see their new Razor Spotting scope!

Have you played with the Razor spotter already?

ILya
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2009 at 17:03
I was wondering the same thing about the Raxor spotter as Koshkin.  What gives RifleDude?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2009 at 17:45
Chris, Mike650, and I saw it at the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation show in Ft. Worth a couple weekends ago, where the Vortex folks had a booth.  It was quite impressive!!!  As best as I could tell inside the building, it was an alpha class contender optically!  It features fluorite ED/APO glass, and the 80mm objective sample they had on display had a 20-60X eyepiece.   I believe they said retail on it was around $1500, which would make it very stiff competition (provided the Vortex brand continues to gain acceptance by serious optics enthusiasts) for its main competitors -- Swaro, Zeiss, Kowa, Leica -- with which it seemed to stack up very well against.  Maybe it's not quite equivalent to the 88mm Kowa or the newest Leica that costs $3K+ (the latter I haven't looked through yet), but I'd say it's definitely alpha class at a price that's $500 - $1000 less than the other scopes of similar performance.  I liked the fact it had the dual ratio (coarse and fine) focusing knobs like Leica, Zeiss, and Kowa.  The only negative I had for it was I didn't particularly care for the painted textured grey finish on the body.  I would have preferred the entire scope be rubber armored.

Vortex is doing things right, and they are really impressing me overall!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2009 at 18:30
I was hoping that maybe you have seen it in the outdoor.  I saw it at SHOT and it looked as good as anything on the show floor.  Still, there is nothing quite like taking it outside.

Should I ask them to send me a sample for review?  The catch is that I do not have any high end 80mm spotters to compare it too.  Vortex guys are telling me that it should be out in the middle of May.

ILya
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2009 at 22:36
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I was hoping that maybe you have seen it in the outdoor.  I saw it at SHOT and it looked as good as anything on the show floor.  Still, there is nothing quite like taking it outside.

Should I ask them to send me a sample for review?  The catch is that I do not have any high end 80mm spotters to compare it too.  Vortex guys are telling me that it should be out in the middle of May.

ILya

No harm in trying.  The worst that can happen is they could say no.

I wouldn't mind comparing it to my Leica 77 APO, but unless you manage to get your hands on one and decide to take a trip to Texas to visit, I don't see that happening in the foreseeable future.
Ted

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 01:28

ILya

I wouldn't mind comparing it to my Leica 77 APO, but unless you manage to get your hands on one and decide to take a trip to Texas to visit, I don't see that happening in the foreseeable future.

or you could send me your Leica to compare to the Razor....

ILya
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 01:59
The Vortex I looked at outside compared very well to other scopes, which included the Zeis, Leupold etc. Good value for money.
Brock_Brett View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brock_Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 07:28
I know Todd well that did the testing, he will not carry anything that's not worth it's salt. I talked to him about 2 weeks ago and he still hasn't had a return. That's 2+ years of selling many Vortex scopes in the heart of Wisconsin's whitetail hunting.

Rob
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 08:42
 Well, he's a Wisconsinite, so you KNOW he's honest!   Yep, Thought So
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 08:55
Well, if he ain't honest he can at least tell you were the fish fry is. Big Grin  That is an interesting test that he does.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 09:36

ILya

or you could send me your Leica to compare to the Razor....

ILya

Maybe we could work up a test exchange of sorts.   I'm open to the idea.
Ted

82ndVet View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82ndVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2009 at 14:16
I've been racking my brain the last few days trying to find a good, quality scope that would make all deer unsafe...lol. After watching this, I think I've made my mind up. Although he did not test the Crossfire line, I'm going to give it a go, and I'll let you all know how I like it. I'm not new to scopes, so I look forward to giving a good, honest review. I was just on their website, and it appears that the crossfire line is made 'no different' from the others. Well, time to find out.Wink
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2009 at 17:35
Welcome, 82ndVet, and thank you for your service, sir!Salute
Ted

hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2009 at 09:20
This seems like a very honest test.External fogging is the biggest problem with hunting.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic