OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

.22 Scope - Indoor, teaching son.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joeranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .22 Scope - Indoor, teaching son.
    Posted: March/23/2009 at 12:05
I would like to teach my son to shoot with a scope. I need an inexpensive scope and mount.
Indoor short range shooting. slight magnification 2-4x

Are the small grooves standard on a .22? 
"Off the grid"...What are you, a freaken Cyborg?
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2009 at 14:35
The rimfire mount grooves are standardized at 3/8" on American made rimfire rifles. European rimfires may be 3/8" or 11mm depending on the rifle.

You will want a scope designed specifically for rimfires. Most rimfire scopes are set to be parallax free at 50yds. While a centerfire scope is usually set between 100-150yds depending on the brand. The thing is that many indoor ranges are only 25yds so parallax may still be a bit of an issue but should be livable. 

The real Cadillac of affordable rimfire scopes is the Weaver RV9 3-9x32 because it's adjustable for parallax but I'll assume that it's out of reach.
Weaver 3-9x32 RV9 Classic Rimfire Rifle Scope                                                                           Weaver 3-9x32 RV9 Classic Rimfire Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Dual-X
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
SWFA: $199.95

The scope that I like is the Weaver 2.5-7x28. It maybe a bit more than you planned on spending but it's well worth the money and I'd consider it a long term investment in quality.
Weaver 2.5-7x28 Classic Rimfire Rifle Scope                                                                             Weaver 2.5-7x28 Classic Rimfire Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Dual-X
  • 1"
SWFA: $129.95
The little Weaver Classix 4x28 Rimfire is a good little scope.
Weaver 4x28 Classic Rimfire Rifle Scope                                                                                 Weaver 4x28 Classic Rimfire Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Dual-X
  • 1"
SWFA: $114.95
If you can't swing the Weaver then these cheap Bushnells aren't bad for what they are but I'd consider it a throw away scope and be thrilled to get a year or two out of it.
Bushnell 4x32 .22 Rimfire Scope                                                                                         Bushnell 4x32 .22 Rimfire Scope
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Free 3/8" Rings
SWFA: $34.95

By the way you might check to see if they have an Appleseed event coming to your area. It's a great way for both of you to refine your technique and pick up some pointers.

Edited by sholling - March/23/2009 at 14:47
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic