OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

'06 covered

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 14:04
Pyro!..........I went back and did some reading on the later posts that I hadn`t read yet. I get it now.

You were making fun of me because I sometimes quote from articles or reference them. So you do the same thing and now you`re a plagerist???....Laugh....A copycat?....Roll on Floor Laughing

As far as I`m concerned, if an article has already been published, exposed and is matter of public record or viewing by all, there is no plagerism. I`ll quote all day and night if needed.

If on the other hand, someone deliberately copies another for the express purpose of making a profit, that`s another story. If one is making money by copying someone else`s hard work, that is a different matter.

Plagerism on the OT?.............Ridiculous!...........Laugh
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 14:22
What the hell is the big freaking deal here!?!?!?!? If you wanna act like children do so on the playground. I'm OUT!!!!!
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 17:20
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

Pyro!..........I went back and did some reading on the later posts that I hadn`t read yet. I get it now.

You were making fun of me because I sometimes quote from articles or reference them. So you do the same thing and now you`re a plagerist???....Laugh....A copycat?....Roll on Floor Laughing

As far as I`m concerned, if an article has already been published, exposed and is matter of public record or viewing by all, there is no plagerism. I`ll quote all day and night if needed.

If on the other hand, someone deliberately copies another for the express purpose of making a profit, that`s another story. If one is making money by copying someone else`s hard work, that is a different matter.

Plagerism on the OT?.............Ridiculous!...........Laugh

You obviously DON'T get it, Squeezer!  There's a HUGE difference between quoting someone and referencing an article, where you attribute the source, and blatantly copying verbatim what someone else said and pretending the words are your own!  If you don't see that very important distinction, then you have an entirely different definition of ethics than I do.   Anytime you copy someone's exact words verbatim -- regardless of who or where it came from -- and try to pass it off as your own thoughts, that's the very definition of plagiarism.  It makes no difference what one's motives are or whether or not there is potential profit involved. 
So, you can Laugh and Roll on Floor Laughingall you want, but if you believe this spin you're being fed about this being all part of some joke, then you must not have compared page 4 of this thread

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=15543&PN=4

to the 9th post on page 2 of the thread you're currently in (made 3 days later).  Notice a striking similarity?

What if someone copied your exact words verbatim and posted it, claiming it was their own thoughts, then when called on it, tried to shift blame to others for simply pointing out the obvious?  You see, it's not so much the "borrowing" of my words and claiming them as his own here that's the issue.  It's the indignant attitude, blame shifting, and lack of accountability for behavior that's the real source of my irritation.  It's the principle of it all. 

I originally wasn't planning to make a big deal out of this, and I wouldn't have had our friend not acted indignant like he's the victim, and tried to spin this as just a "joke gone bad."  If this truly was a joke, it really was a cryptic one that was slow to unfold, and it wouldn't have taken 4 pages later when someone finally notices it and calls him on it for the punchline to be revealed.

That is all I have to say about this.  If you still don't see the problem here, then I guess you never will.

By the way, this isn't the first time this has happened...Shocked
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 18:10
Ted!.............Yeah! I do get it!................. In no way was Pyro trying to plagerize anyone, copy them, or pretending to use their words as his own. AND IF HE DID, IT WAS UN-INTENTIONAL on his part with NO malice intended. So tell me who was hurt by this? WHO? 

If somone quoted me verbatem on something I said, claiming it was their own thought and took credit for it,,,THEN SO WHAT!! I DON`T GIVE a RAT`S REAR END and COULD CARE LESS!

So what`s the big deal here?? Come off your legaleeeeeze high horse and get back down to earth.

This is a forum here, where we don`t stake a claim or patent our words and statements in order to preserve them as our own and then protest when someone un-intentionally does so or has no idea.

Tell ya what!.......Why don`t you give us all a list of ALL the things you`ve stated, so we won`t make a mistake and accidentally copy YOU.

But if someone were writing a book, a column, an op ed, or some other piece for money and purposely copied verbatem and took credit for someone else`s work, then that`s a different situation.

But on this forum??...........C`MON Ted!! Get REAL!  
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 18:40
 Big Squeeze,  I was thinking that Ted may have been making too much of it as well, but I have to admit that he makes some very valid points.
 Don't make the mistake of thinking that because you don't care about having your work (paid for or not) represented as that of someone else's, that Ted shouldn't either.
 He is right in this instance.
 Pyro was wrong, and he eventually admitted it when it was pointed out to him.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 18:46
You should always cite your source whether it is word for word or just paraphrased.  It is just the proper way to do things.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 19:07
This is an,, informal,, forum here where we log on to have some fun and offer advice to those who seek it. We also learn from one another, from added tips and so forth
regarding a variety of subjects.

Whether Pyro was guilty of plagerism or not, a much bigger deal was made than was necessary.

This is an informal forum, not a copywrite and or patent office.

rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 19:45
 30-06  and it's descendants please! Peace
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 19:48
Actually, I wish we had stayed with the 30-03
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 21:53

Pyro did not simply reiterate something he learned that Rifledude posted, he copied it and pasted it.  It would be different if he paraphrased it after he learned it.  To add insult to injury the post that he STOLE and presented as his own was a post that proved him wrong in another thread.

I agree this has been blown out of proportion and could have been nipped in the bud had Pyro decided to take the high road.  I think Rifledude has handled the situation very well in light of the complete lack of comprehension of others and the ridiculous comments by BigSqueeze.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2009 at 08:05
im sorry all of this happened, and you guys can think what you want but i certainly didnt intend to do any harm to anybody. do what you wish with my apology as well, im not going to force anything on anyone. i damn sure dont want to lose any friends over this either, maybe it to late for that.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2009 at 06:50

Bugs, I would get the Remington.  Am I biased a little, YES.  So take my advise accordingly.  I sold my 700 MTN .260 to a friend of mine, but I will be getting another 700 to replace it.  Most likely a .270 as a local dealer has a pretty nice used CDL w/R3 pad for $529.00.

Let us know what you decide.

Edited by Tip69 - March/26/2009 at 17:46
take em!
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2009 at 08:50
"Oh........boy.................here we go on the merry-go-round................cheers, assh*les.....( slurp ) !!  {Hic } .............ahhh..........what was this thread about anyway??...............I forgot............."

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
BillyWayne View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2009 at 09:20
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

"Oh........boy.................here we go on the merry-go-round................cheers, assh*les.....( slurp ) !!  {Hic } .............ahhh..........what was this thread about anyway??...............I forgot............."

Yeah Yeah....ME too! Smile
John 11:35
The're taking the hobbits to Isengard!!
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2009 at 10:16
Please cease any further comments not related to the original topic.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2009 at 11:25
So, BNB, to stay in your "-06" genre, what about the .338-06????... .25-06, .30-06, .338-06. 

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2009 at 17:48

If I remember right, he said he had the '06 covered and wanted to go with something different....... the 35 Whelen.  His question is about which make/model. 

I say get the 35 in a Rem 700 CDL.

take em!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2009 at 18:01
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

If I remember right, he said he had the '06 covered and wanted to go with something different....... the 35 Whelen.  His question is about which make/model. 

I say get the 35 in a Rem 700 CDL.

Actually, this is what he said:

Well, my two primary hunting rifles are the 25-06 and the 30-06. They can do about anything I need. However, I have this hankering for a 35 Whelen (basically a 35-06). Do I need it ...maybe and maybe not but I want it. I'm looking at a NIB Rem CDL, but I think it's a bit over priced. Besides, I'm not really a Rem guy. My other choice is a Ruger Hawkeye as they are now offering it in the .35 Whelen.  I'm leaning towards the Ruger. What says everybody else? An and all opinions are welcomed. Thanks all.

Eventually, you could create a NEW wildcat... 443-06 (which would be the largest you could fit in a 30-06 case... I tried for 458-06, but it just won't expand that far.)

Ruger would be fine, I expect.  I've had three 10/22, .#1 458 Lott, and an M77 Mark II in 7mm-08... all shoot under 1MOA, the #1 much better than that.  I don't where the myth of inaccurate Rugers came from.  Perhaps a lot of inaccurate shooters buy Rugers?  I sold the M77, just really didn't care for it, but it was not because of accuracy problems.  

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2009 at 19:36
I have had accuracy problems with 77's in both .270 and .06. I don't think it is a myth because I know many others who have had the same problem, even in .308.
I still own a 77, along with a few 10/22's, a beautiful #1 45-70 and a couple of their wheel guns. I will still take a 700 any time.
That is my preference. I don't consider myself inaccurate by any means.

Edited by tahqua - March/26/2009 at 19:40
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2009 at 19:42
No one has mentioned the 30-06 Ackley improved, though it wasn't much of an improvement hardly any in fact some still like it.   it looks cool!

Edited by rifle looney - March/26/2009 at 19:42
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic