OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Long time no post

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Remington700VS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long time no post
    Posted: March/23/2009 at 10:13
Sup everybody,

I've got some q's about red dot sights for AR's

I am relatively new to both the AR and red dots.

So any advice you may have would be helpful.

Stock #DescriptionPrice
300205 Burris 1x35 Xtreme Tactical Speeddot Sight                                                                              Burris 1x35 Xtreme Tactical Speeddot Sight
  • Matte
  • 5 MOA Dot
  • Xtreme Tactical Ring Sold Seperately
SWFA: $239.95
More Info... Buy Now

How good is the optics finish?
Whats the battery type used and how longs the battery life?
How much abuse can it take?
Hows the field of view (is it restricting)?

If anybody knows of any other optic brands for 300.00 or less please explain.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2009 at 10:20
would like to know those questions myself, biggest down side for me, at least, in this burris is the dot size, wish it was 2 moa.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2009 at 10:41
I havent seen one either. Should be durable.   It  uses a 2032 coin type battery that seems to be where everyone is headed. I wasnt wild about the 4moa dot in one aimpoint that I had when I went to the 2moa  aimpoint I liked that a lot better and I really like the triangle in the trijicons best of all.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - March/23/2009 at 10:48

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Remington700VS View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Remington700VS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2009 at 10:59
Thanks for the responses guys.

What other red dots would you recommend?

Used Eotech 555, or aimpoint?
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2009 at 12:51

I am not the most experienced with red dots but I won a Vortex Strikeforce in a drawing and for the price, it has held up really well on my LR308 AP4.  I wouldn't compare it to a Eotech or Aimpoint, as I have only looked through them in the store, but at the range it has worked flawlessly for 400 rounds.

RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2009 at 13:40
Timely subject for me.
 I, too am looking at a red dot for my AR. I'm leaning toward the 2x CompML2, which is a 2x magnification with a 2-minute dot, if I understand correctly. I do NOT want a separate magnifier unit. (That just seems screwey to me.)
 I don't need a lot of magnification, but would like some, hence the 2x. I'd also consider a 3x if they made one.
 My concern is how well they behave in low light hunting conditions. I imagine the dot is very visible, but what about the image itself. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated, and I hope would add to this thread, and not sidetrack it for the O.P.

edited for spelling. 

Edited by RONK - March/23/2009 at 13:42
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Remington700VS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2009 at 18:39
Hey ronk, it seems to me we are looking for a very similar optic.
If money and low light weren't an issue I would buy a Trijicon 1-4 scope...

So I figured I could buy a cheaper red dot optic and use it in low light without issue...
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2009 at 18:51
 Well, kind of, but I'm pretty set on at least 2x magnification.
   Why do you consider the Trijicon a poor choice for low light? It was on my list, but it is rather spendy...
 I'm thinking it may be quite a little better optically, but I really don't know.

Check out the Aimpoint videos thread thatCheaptrick posted a long time ago, and is back up and running now. It is in this same Tactical Scopes forum.
 Pretty impressive toughness.

Edited by RONK - March/23/2009 at 19:03
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Remington700VS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2009 at 20:59

The 1-4 trijicon is the best option I could find (accept for the price)

To be quiet honest, any low light benefit the trijicon has may not beat a red dot purchased at half the price.

Sadly, my choice is dictated by $$
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2009 at 21:21
Originally posted by Remington700VS Remington700VS wrote:

Hey ronk, it seems to me we are looking for a very similar optic.
If money and low light weren't an issue I would buy a Trijicon 1-4 scope...

So I figured I could buy a cheaper red dot optic and use it in low light without issue...

This is the sentance I was referring to. I took it to mean that good low-light performance was important to you, and that you found the Trijicon 1-4 scope lacking in that regard.
 My misunderstanding...

Lets both ante up half the cost of one, and flip a coin to see who gets it, eh?  Bucky

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 01:09
I think the aimpoint is the best of the red dot scopes. I really considered the 2x model a while back but it is reported to be kind of like looking down a paper towel roll center and as such not real popular.  I think the Trijicons ACOG and compact ACOG are awesome. With the triangle you work off the point of it at distance and use the whole thing up close.  Eaven though the illuminated area of a triangle or chevron is larger than a dot, the point makes accuracy possible at distance.  I really like the 1.5x TA442 but I also think I would like to have the TA33R9   3x model for a .308 The accupoint scopes have some new models out that should be really nice also.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - March/24/2009 at 01:11

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 08:59
 Thanks for the info ont the 2x Aimpoint, Urimaginaryfrnd! I hadn't considered field of view problems for that one, and I"ve wondered why it wasn't more popular. Do you have any thoughts regarding image quality in low light for any of these devices? I always hear a lot about the virtues of various dot sizes and reticle types, but it seems low-light performance is usually not discussed. I NEED good  low light performance, as I will be using it for heavy cover whitetails in dawn and dusk time frames.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic