OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Assist needed to select first pair binoculars

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bunkerdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2009 at 15:28
WOW !!---you guys are the bestYippee---thank you

rancidcoolaid---yep, the leica ultravid is very hard to resist at the samplelist price---i do like the feel of quality---i almost made the "jump to lightspeed" with the wallet---but at the moment i need a pair of binoculars to learn with---maybe 10x is a bit much for now---i know you offer good advice when you say listen to mr koshkin

mr koshkin---i had a "good morning" salutation in mind to say in russian---but now i realize that i can say "dobre utra" but the spelling will surely be incorrect---my russian friends try to teach me little songs and and short phrases---they are only marginally successful---so i continue.....---thank you for offering your well researched advice---i, very much, like the meopta meostar 8x42 but it is more expensive and the eye relief and exit pupil are both somewhat smaller than the vortex razor 8.5x50 which may also offer more detail---the current $150 mail in rebate makes them my first choice---i have some few questions about details of construction that i was not able to find on the vortex website if i may ask---1) are the eye cups a "twist up" style?---all vortex says is "comes with tapered eyecups that retract to your choice of several distinct positions"---and--- 2) i can not find any reference to glass type---since it is unspecified must i assume it is BK-4 boron or is it the BaK-4 barium composition?---vortex information refers to "XD" glass---i this their designation for a proprietary glass composition?----thank you

Did Felix ever meet Ignatz?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2009 at 17:02
The eyecups are twist up style with about a dozen or so intermediary settings.

As for the glass type, noone is really going to tell you exactly what they use (and if they told you, would that make a difference?).  With the Razor, it is ED glass of some sort in the objectives.  They call it XD, but that is just a marketing differentiation.

BK4 vs BAK-4 argument usually refers to the glass that the prisms are made of, and it is not important for roof prism binoculars anyway.

As a matter of general principle, worrying about the type of glass used is, typically, a waiste of time.  a more pertinent question is whether the binocular delivers a good image to your eyes.  That is all what really counts.

ILya
bunkerdog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bunkerdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2009 at 18:28
mr koshkin---thank you sir for your patienceEmbarrased---you are correct, performance is what i want---method of delivery is secondary---i will give a go with the vortex razor 8.5x50
Did Felix ever meet Ignatz?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic